Is it legal?

Doug S

Is it legal to carry more than one handgun if you have a CCW Permit? Does this vary from state to state? Thanks for any info.

loknload

Doug, I believe that could vary from state to state. Here in Pa. I'm good to carry any gun regestered in my name. At one time individual guns had to be regestered for carry. Now it is any. So I could carry in a shoulder holster, plus one in the waist and one in an ankle holster if I felt the need.
But when I carry I never carry more then one.
Hope this helps :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Doug S

Thanks for the response. I also live in PA, so this was the state I was really wondering about.

Svt

loknload
I see you're from Reading. I live in Ephrata. Us PA TFLers should get together for a shoot sometime.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Some state licenses have the type and serial # of the gun (sometimes guns) you are allowed to carry. Others set no limit, but be careful if the law says something like "carry a concealed handgun." "A" is singular, if someone wants to push it. Remember, every gun is one more gun that can be detected, with potential problems.

One fellow reported carrying four Glocks with two extra magazines each, two big knives, and nunchuks. I not only wonder how he could move, but also think that any police officer stopping him just might try to find a reason for arrest, CCW or not.

At the risk of being "flamed", I will repeat some advice I gave before. If you are going to carry a weapon legally, talk to an attorney and put him/her on retainer. You are putting yourself in a position where trouble may find you, and you may need legal advice in a hurry. (No, I am not a lawyer trying to drum up business.)

Jim

loknload

Svt. That sounds like a plan, I was going to offer some help when you were going to take your lawyer friends out but I had to work.
But I'm sure something could be arranged :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

FUD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
... If you are going to carry a weapon legally, talk to an attorney and put him/her on retainer. ...[/quote]Jim:

We are frequently advised to speak to an attorney after a shooting before making any statements to the police. I often wondered about this ... If I'm involved in a shooting at my home in the middle of the night, exactly how am I going to speak to an attorney before making any statements to the police?

Your advise about having an attorney on retainer sounds like a good idea but how does one go about doing this? Do you just pick out a criminal lawyer out of the whole book and make an appointment with him? Exactly what does it mean to have an attorney on retainer? Will he show up at 2:30 in the morning to make statements to the police? What is the normal going rate?

Any additionaly light that you can shed on this subject would be appreciated (you can e-mail me directly, if you wish, with your reply). Thanks.

Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD.
edfudal.jpg

Lavan

I have read and it makes sense that after a shooting you will be in shock. Even if you are the shooter. The article said to call an ambulance for yourself and complain of chest pains. No way to disprove that. Call lawyer from your hospital after you collect your thoughts.

It makes sense.

Gunslinger

Miranda rights folks. Simply tell the officers you do not wish to give up your right to remain silent and you would like to speak with a lawyer befre making any statements.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

JJCook

Back to the original subject here....in Texas, there is no limit to what you carry..as long as it's concealable.

JJC

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, guys,

FUD e-mailed me the same question he has posted. Since he posted, I will post my reply (which I put on TFL a while back).

----------------------------------------
With the increasing number and complexity of gun laws, it becomes more and more possible that some of us will run afoul of the law at some time. It is also true that some people choose to skate a little close to thin ice in hopes of having or doing something just a little different.

What follows is not specific legal advice; I am not an attorney, and I am not trying to drum up business for one. But I hope you will find it common sense, and perhaps something to think about.

We have all made lawyer jokes, and deplored the tendency of greedy or ideologically motivated lawyers to file suit at the drop of a law book. But, like it or not, when one is in legal trouble a lawyer is necessary.

Some people are more vulnerable than others. A gun dealer or gunsmith should have a lawyer on retainer. So should anyone who carries a gun, legally or illegally, unless a police or security officer who will be defended by a department or company attorney.

Finding a good lawyer may not be easy. While any good attorney will defend his (or her) client to the best of his ability, an attorney personally committed to the gun ban cause may not be the best for a client charged with murder in a "self defense" case. But the point here is not to wait until you are in trouble. Check around, get the NRA list of attorneys who will take gun cases. Talk to your friends. When you find a likely prospect, talk to him and sound him out on the gun issue. Most of us know enough to know if the lawyer knows anything about gun laws or if he specializes in drug cases.

When you talk to an attorney, and if you feel that you are familiar with firearms law, don't hesitate to tell him that you want to participate in your defense. This does not mean that you argue the case in court; it does mean that you make it clear that you don't want the lawyer selling you out behind your back and presenting you with a "done deal."

It is important to remember that most attorneys who specialize in criminal defense try only to keep their clients out of jail. Most of their business comes from people to whom a record and a conviction is a badge of honor, but who do not want to go to prison. So lawyers will plea bargain - a guilty plea in return for a reduced sentence or probation. For most of us, a conviction would be a heavy burden since it would mean confiscation of our guns and never being able to own a gun again. Many would feel that a guilty plea is not an option if there is any other alternative.

When you think you have found a good attorney, make sure that he or someone in his office will be available at all times. It is a shock to learn, as you are booked and fingerprinted, that your lawyer is sunning himself on the Costa del Sol and may be back in a month. A gun dealer arrested as he closes his store at 9 PM, or a person forced to fire in self-defense at 2 AM, needs help then, not when the lawyer's office opens the next business day. By the way, memorize the lawyer's number; the police may have your wallet and notebook.

You may also want to line up a source of bail money. Bondsmen put up bail for ten percent of the bail amount, but that ten percent has to be up front, and usually in cash. That money is not refundable. Bail in a case of shooting or killing can run as high as a million dollars.

Remember, I am not talking here about the average gun owner. Dealers and CCW licensees are particularly vulnerable to both criminal charges and civil suits, and those are the people who would be well advised to line up legal talent before they need it.

I know this post is too long, and that I will get flamed by people yelling, "I can shoot anyone I want" or "the cops will never arrest me, I am the Police Chief's son." Maybe. I hope no one out there ever runs into trouble with the law. Certainly, no one plans to. Still…

Jim

FUD

Jim, Thanks for your insight. FUD.

Getting back to the original topic ... Here in Florida a Concealed Weapons Licinse allows one to not only carry guns (as many as one can conceal) but other weapons as well such as knives (which would be illegal if they are over 4" in length and carried concealed without a CCW).

Futo Inu

My state says "a" gun (meaning only one I suppose, though I sometimes carry 2 or more) of .45 caliber or less, so I'm saving for a T/C Contender in .45-70. ;)

glockgazda

In Utah there is no restriction on a specific gun that you are allowed to carry, but if you qualified with pistol or a revolver, you are limited to either/or. Of course everyone qualifies with both, so they can carry both.

Lavan

I was told that the Miranda does not apply unless you are "under arrest." They can ask and demand answers as long as it is just "investigation." And refusal to talk when not under arrest can be construed as "obstruction of justice." Which would then be "proveable" because there would be witnesses that you would not talk.

I am not saying this is correct. This is just what was told to me. Is this inaccurate info?

I would like to know.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings, Here in BamaLand we can carry
any, and as many as we can conceal. For
illustration purpose's; if you are legal,
you may carry a Smith & Wesson Model 29
with 83/8" barrel, a Mac-10, and a bazooka
provided they are concealed. :D All for a
fee of only $7.50; got mine renewed only
yesterday. Have a Great Day!!! :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

fastforty

Lavan: You are under arrest anytime that a you are in the presence of a LEO, and you are not "free to leave". Cut their questions off with one of your own: "Are you going to arrest me and charge me with a crime?" Unless the answer is "yes", you are "free to leave". Tell them that you'll come to the station and make a full report after you have spoken with your attorney... and then bring him/her with you.

------------------
The Bible is my lawbook. I turn the other cheek when applicable, and spend the rest of my days resisting evil at every front, until I have breathed my last breath.

Ledbetter

I agree with fastforty, but an average cop (and half of them are below average)looking at a dead teenager might find that attitude "insensitive" or even "belligerent," and those words in quotes might find their way into his police report and therefore be the only things indelibly written into his RAM.
It might be better to preface your invocation of the Miranda prayer with a brief explanation ("He broke in my house, or, had a weapon, or, refused to leave after repeated demands, or, advanced toward me,"), then these golden words:

"I don't think I'd better say any more until I speak to an attorney. I'm a little upset right now."

As for the chest pains scam, think about whether you want to contaminate a righteous shoot with a lie :rolleyes:. There's no unprovable lie.

Puddle Pirate

My CCP reads:
"The Licensee is hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police Department to carry on their person, or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee."

Eric

------------------
Does the "X" ring have to be that small?