is it dumb for me to carry a P22 as my only ccw?

Dumb? no
Foolish? Yes. This is assuming you have or can afford better options. But, just about any gun is better than no gun as has been posted here about 8 million times....

Mikeyboy

Can you kill a BG with a .22...Yes

Can you get something smaller and lighter than a PT-22 in a higher caliber, so you have less concern...Yes (kel-tec, Khar, Seecamp, etc)

It not the size of the bullet, it what you can do with it that counts.

shield20

Yes. I think it is stupid to make a conscious choice to carry such a small caliber for the primary purpose of self-defense. NO excuse in this case, as even the typical argument of "small size" does not hold true.

yomama

Wow, this one should get good! I carry a p22 - as it is my only option (only a few days a week). I have a dress code for work, and need to be able to hide it very well. A small frame revover in a larger caliber would have stuck my pocket out to much - tried it. Pistol wise, the p22 is very small, and hides perfectly. I carry stinger bullets to get that extra pop.

It comes down to what you need it for. If you feel that a 22 is not enough power, ask the many people who have been killed by them. I know i know, stopping power, ect..., but i guarentee you, no one wants to be shot no matter the caliber. The P22 carries 10+1, with an extra magazine you got a good 21 shots. Re-loading is quicker than revolver to.

I also like the p22's design. I have the serial number that they started fixing major issues, and my magazines also have proper serial number, another issue. It is a great gun, and very comfortable. I know alot of people don't care for the gun, but the only problem i've had is that it is picky with ammo-only cci is reliable 100%.

Well, hope we are all still friends after this one!:)

It's not vengence, it's punishment -The Punisher

threegun

Glenn buddy ole pal you know my stance on this. Carry as big a caliber as you can hide and shoot effectively. The 22lr is less effective than larger calibers. That said it is still better than no gun at all.

Funny how the above statement of complete logic and common sense can be argued against by some of the most intelligent sounding people.

Glenn E. Meyer

I'll go with carry the most efficacious gun you can. I also agree for whatever reason if you end up only with a P22, I'd carry it rather than no gun.

Is it the best choice - if you can do better, do it. It's not dumb in the sense that you won't get some utility.

Unless finances don't permit, you can carry guns roughly of the P22 size that are more powerful. Thus, I'd regard that as a plinker.

If for example, you wanted a way smaller gun, then some of the little 22s make sense as a deep bug (but there are the 32s). Or it might be the case that arthritis makes you unable to shoot a stronger round.

Otherwise, you get some utility out of the gun and it might solve most of your problems. You decide the level of risk you want. I'd not carry a 22 as a primary unless there was some special circumstance, such as earlobe or neck carry of my NAA 22S Mini.

threegun

Glenn, Why on earth did we clash on the other site? You and I agree on almost everything. Was it PMS? Did my breath stink? You actually have a sense of humor on this board. Everything you have said (that I have read) is straight up as I understand it to be true, yet we argued like children on the other board. So strange. I am starting to like you.

teejhot.40cal

Depends on how well you can shoot it. If you can post groups of 2-3 inches in 2 sec. at 7 yds, I would say it doesn't matter because u can really stop someone quick with it. Just remember that it doesn't matter how big the gun is if you miss.

threegun

If you can post groups of 2-3 inches in 2 sec. at 7 yds

Doing this @ the range and against a moving possibly shooting target while under stress are two different things. Best to have something that can cause a bigger oil leak in the badguys hydrolics because hits are going to be precious. I can't recall how many gun battles end with multiple shots being fired yet nary a hair being cut. The last one I remember had over 20 rounds fired between 2 goodguys and one badguy with no one being touched.

Glenn E. Meyer

You pursued the mouse gun thingee too much over a nuance. But that can be water over the damn.

Recall, academics will fight to the death of word usage like utility. However, I prefer to get along with all. So enjoy this board.

threegun

It angered me that was being called a fool for considering the 25acp to be less effective than the 45acp in stopping an attack. You are correct, I couldn't let it go. Even a friend and coworker told me that everyone was playing me but I couldn't let it go. My bad. As you say water under the bridge. I do enjoy this site much better. A nicer group and a nicer Glenn.

Garand Illusion

Post this on some boards and they'll go ballistic you're carrying any weapon at all. And think you're dumb just for owning a gun (2,000 times more likely to get your family killed by gunfire or wild, stampeding elephants, dontcha know?).

Especially if you're the average CCW -- a white, middle class male who lives in a safe neighborhood.

For my .02 ... any gun of .22 or greater is "sufficient" for civilian SD. If you put some lead of any size in a B.G. it's going to change his whole day, pretty much guarantee he's brought to justice (bullets lodged in lungs hard to explain), and probably end the attack (though hopefully not with a spray of gunfire back at you).

But I think if you found yourself in that unlikely situation where the S--- is hitting the fan, I think you're going to be wishing you'd found a way to tuck in a .45. The faster you end an attack, the less likely you are to be dead or in the hospital yourself.

Of course, you will be glad to have something other than just a raised voice.

And if you think a .22 isn't capable of a one stop shot or putting someone down, watch the video of the Reagaon assassination attempt. 9 .22 rounds, 2 people down and the President nearly killed (though he didn't realize it at the time).

Carry whatever you want and be confident in it ... but the bigger the better.