Is it as good as the CZ 75?

TexRanger

I know that there have been a number of threads which discuss clones of the CZ and other models which are based upon the CZ 75. My question involves one specific pistol to which some reference has been made.

Of those who have had some experience with it, what are opinions of the ITM AT-84 which was once imported by Action Arms? How does it compare with the CZ 75? I have heard some say that the Swiss-made Sphinx is superior to the CZ 75. I am probably wrong but I believe that the AT-84 is the predecessor to the Sphinx and ITM became Sphinx. If someone is more knowledgable about the history, please enlighten me.

I ask because I have come across a couple of AT-84s and the asking price for each has been comparable to a new CZ.

Thanks,

John

Walt Sherrill

I've had several AT-84s' and still have one that was supposedly customized by Jim Borland, a big-name gunsmith of the 70's - 90's.

The ATs were true clones of the CZ when first introduced, and were very well made. Not sure that ITM is a direct predecessor of the company building Sphinx, but there is some shared heritage. I have a Sphinx, too.

In the photos below, the first one is a completely stock AT-84s (sold long ago), and the second one is the "custom" gun I mentioned. (Photo quality is only so/so - sorry.) A Compact Sphinx is the third one.

If you can get an AT-84s for under $400, they're probably worthwhile. Parts, as with some with the older CZ (pre-B) models, may eventually prove to be a problem. Many newer CZ parts will work, but oddball stuff, like parts for the older safeties, maybe even the barrel, can be problematic. Almost nothing from the Witness/Tanfoglio lines will interchange.

AT84S-Left.jpg

Dscn0789-1-1-1.jpg

SphinxCompactLeft-1.jpg

Last edited:

tekarra

I like my AT 84. Don't shoot it much anymore, guess I am saving it. Wish I had bought a couple more when they were being cleared out cheap.
P4210008.jpg

TexRanger

AT-84 vs. CZ 75b

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the input and the pictures. They are great. I especially love the Sphinx.

From what I have seen available lately, the AT-84s which are on the market are priced comparable ($500+) to a new CZ 75b. For that reason, I am definitely leaning towards the CZ. I have had two (a 97 and a 75 compact .40) and love them.

Thanks again,

John

LanceOregon

The Sphinx 3000 is now the issue pistol of the Swiss National Police force.

And it has been adopted by the elite Special Forces units of both Denmark and Norway as their combat pistol too.

So it obviously is a very high caliber handgun.