Is it a good buy?

coachteet

A guy locally is selling an unopened 4 lb container of Unique for $90. Would you guys pull the trigger, or try and haggle? Right now I am accumulating components, totally newb toreloading. But from what I have read, it seems the consensus on Unique is that it is a versatile powder, dirty, but a little goes a long way. Thanks for the help.

USMC EOD

I use Unique in .45 ACP (typically 6.0 grains behind a 230 grain jacketed bullet), and it works well for me. The last batch I bought was a 4 pound jug at a gun show for about $65 or $70 (if memory serves me correctly) about two months ago. It sounds a little bit like someone is price gouging.

serf 'rett

I would buy it at that price...

You didn't mention what you are planning on loading. I use Unique in 9mm, 40S&W and will be testing in 45ACP if the slow boat ever gets here from eastern Europe with the on order XDm.

WaywardSon

I think that's a little on the high side, but not really what I would call gouging in this market. I just passed on an 8 lb. keg for $169 at the LGS. He had three. They are gone:(

Mac Sidewinder

From a local gun shop with no hazmat - yeah buy it. If you order online you'll pay $28 hazmat fee, so if you're not ordering alot more then it's not worth it.

Mac

serf 'rett

Unique works for your listed calibers.
Online example- Powder Valley
4 pounds - $58.70
Hazmat - $27.50
Shipping - $9.95

Sevens

Personally, I hate that stuff. It's wildly popular. It's popularity is certainly NOT why I hate it, but I do hate it.

Hodgdon Universal is a competing product that works anywhere Unique does (different load data) so I use Universal. Last eight pounder I bought cost me $110 plus tax. Of course, that was before our industry turned upside down and everything became so difficult.

This situation right now puts SOME people in to tough positions -- having to make tough decisions. But you are talking about a powder that goes for around $20 a pound in a normal market. In a 4-pound container, there should be a discount from 4x1 lb'ers.

There's nothing about that offer that I like. You might be forced in to it, however.

CrustyFN

A 4 pound bottle at Powder Valley is $58. Even with the hazmat it's cheaper on-line. I would try to talk him down.