Is H&K USP 45 Tactical really that much better than a USP 45?

jearne

Besides obvious differences like adj. sights, extended barrel w/o-ring and match trigger , is the Tactical worth the extra money? I have shot a USP and they are extremely accurate in my hands, but I wanna know is the Tactical that much more accurate? The obvious differences are worth it to me, but I would like some other opinions on accuracy and other aspects.:cool:

Herr Walther

Accuracy is about the same, but the Tactical has the edge. The trigger, as you know, is miles apart from the standard USP trigger.

That may contribute to the edge in accuracy that the Tactical has. The sights are OK. I like adjustable sights. I kind of wish the front sight wasn't so tall. Overall, I really like the Tactical.

Morgan

I'd sooner have two USP45s than pay that much for the Tactical.

Now the Expert, on the other hand...

pyke

I just bought a .45 USP and had the match trigger and adjustable tritium sights installed. The trigger group was $99 and the sights were $140. Shoots extremely well.

Catbird

pyke -

I bought a USP last week; haven't done any mods yet. I would like to ask you if you had a chance to shoot your stock USP before you had the match trigger group installed? If so, now that you have the upgraded trigger, is it really worth $99/would you do it again? Also, did the factory perform the installation? If it's not too much trouble, could you explain in writing how the trigger feel is different/improved? Thanks. :)

shooter.45

I had the HK USP and now have the Tactical with a Flash Suppressor and what a gun.. I can shoot the Tactical much better than the USP thats my opinion anyway.. But I would go with the tactical why get the USP if you want to modify it. Just get the Tactical and its already done..

Good Luck:cool:

Mo_Zam_Beek

FWIW - if it is a carry weapon - any mods - esp to the trigger may not be a wise idea. It could bite you on the stand in front of a jury.

As for the match trigger - shoot a standard USP 5k times or so - you will have have made about the same head way on the trigger.

There is no question, match trigger or not - the trigger is the only downside to USPs (other than cost).

RenegadeX

I have the tactical solely for the purpose of adding a suppressor. Otherwise I see little extra value. Needless to say, this is the same dilemma I faced when I decided Tactical over Mark 23. What does paying 2x more buy you with the Mark 23? Nothing fo me.

Ahhnuld

Tactical vs. USP

:D I have a MK23, full size USP .45, and a compact USP .45, all of which I would never depart with. I added the match trigger to my Full size and found that it does indeed make a difference in the pull, as well as the travel stop. IMO, it was well worth the cost and effort. I put it in myself and it was fairly straightforward. The only 2 things that were a pain was the trigger and hammer spring.

Accuracy: I find that the Tac is more accurate, as the MK23 is, I would say the O-ring helps. Cost between the 2 is not that bad, $650-$700 for the USP and $850-$950 for the Tac. Add the Match trigger for $100, the Threaded barrel for $300, and the target sights for $150, and you actually exceed the stock price of a Tac.

In regards to the comment of a Grand Jury caring about a match trigger, I do not agree. The circumstances involved in the shooting will be the primary focus. If the comment was intended to imply that a round could be fired accidentally, I place that responsibility on the shoulders on the shooter. Call me crazy, you gotta pull the trigger to fire the weapon.

Just my 2 cents.

DAKODAKID

MK23

The Tac and the standard USP are equal in terms of accuracy...
(Place them both on an ransom rest and see what I mean).

//The HK MK23 pistol beats both hands down.//
(no ****, like night and day).

Match trigger--get a 8-10# wolff hammer spring and save yourself $100.00

The sights are only as good as your eyes are...
(optics are very nice for bad eyes).

The O'ring does help in accuracy but only if your are a Grand Master IPSC type of shooter.

The threaded bbl is nice, very nice, but it doesn't change the way the pistol shoots without a can.

Don't buy into the Tac/Expert hype.
The standard USP will do if you will.

If you are serious about pistol shooting in competition than look into the SV 1911's.
They are nice.

If you want a pistol that is more accurate than you will ever be and can still be thrown in the mud et al. than get the standard USP...

Did I mention that the MK23 is a USP on steroids???hehe

Spend the extra $ you save on ammo...

Trust

seadog

The standard is fine, and believe it or not in 45 ACP the COMPACT will sometimes outshoot them both. We have TACs and full size on our SWAT team. The compacts are just as good or better when you consider weight, compactness, etc.

Bedeviler

I personally would save my money and get the USP45 over the tactical. The features are nice, but the difference in price is just not worth it. And I don't know bout you guys, but I don't like that threaded extended barrel on the tactical. With a silencer, that would look cool, but get real, not practical, and simply looks ugly.

GSB

I just recently shot a friend's Tactical and did a whole lot better with it at 15 yards than I usually do with my standard USP. I suspect it was simply that the front sight post seems to have a little more "air" around it, so it doesn't obscure as much of what I'm aiming at at that distance. Plus it does have a crisper trigger. A trigger job and a set of target sights would probably bring my USP within range of that Tactical.

Or maybe I was just having a really good day.

VonFatman

I prefer the Tactical. It's extreemly accurate. I paid $850 for mine and expect a full size USP was $200 less. The trigger is fantastic. It's the easiest gun I own that consistantly gets great groups for new shooters.
VF

Pilot

Tactical is worth the extra $$$ (for me)

I bought a Tactical, because I wanted a full size .45 USP, but didn't like the stock trigger. I also wanted adjustable sights as this is a range gun only. To retrofit the match trigger group and adj. sights on a standard USP would cost more in money and hassle than just buying the Tac. Plus you get the threaded barrel if you want to add a suppressor and the O-ring supposedly helps accuracy. So far it has been 100% reliable and more accurate than I am.