Is getting a pistol plated (Robar NP3 for example) worth the cost?

Turbocharged

Pretty self explanatory, but to elaborate, I have a '83 H&K P7 PSP that is technically "Grade B" that I would love to get plated with Robar's NP3 or NP3 Plus. However, I'm not sure if it is worth the $300+ cost to do so.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

Robar does very good work. NP3 is nickel plating.
I prefer hard chrome. There are platers who can do hard chrome for quite a bit less than Robar's NP3.

Turbocharged

I have a pretty good amount of experience with PTFE and that is what has intrigued me in regards to NP3 plating instead of standard nickel plating. Also, Robar seems to offer a great warranty and has been doing good work for a very long time.

Hard chrome is another option I was looking at, but would prefer either a form of nickel or titanium nitride plating.

Uncle Malice

NP3 is a Teflon impregnated nickel finish, and from what I have read, you can shoot your pistol with little or no lube.

I have owned 2 guns done with NP3 from Robar, a P239 and a P6. The teflon really makes the whole thing feel almost... slippery. It's very smooth and yes, you can shoot it with little or no lube.

Is it worth it? If you decide to sell the gun, it will increase the value, but you won't get what your paid for the plating out of it. On the other hand, if you are just looking to make the gun extremely corrosion resistant, good looking, and very easy to clean.... it does a good job of that.

I have no experience with hard chrome so I can't comment on the comparison. I just used Robar because they are local here in Phoenix. I actually drive past the shop every day on my way to and from work.

Robar as a company is good to work with. The people in the office are polite and one thing I really liked is that they always overshoot their ETA for completion. With complete NP3, they usually say 10-12 weeks. When I dropped my P6, they told me 6-8 weeks, so I figured they weren't super busy at the time. They called me 8 DAYS later to tell me it was done. So that was pretty awesome. I hate it when companies tell you 2 weeks and it takes 4 or 5 months to do something.

poortrader

You won't get the money back if you ever decide to sell, but it sure does look good. I have a Sig 225 with the NP3 finish which is amazing.

FALshootist

I've got a factory Np3 Beretta centurion made in 93. Great gun, easy to clean, but for corrosion resistance hard chrome is the way to go

P 7

ENJOY!

IMAG0377.jpg

WESHOOT2

Yes.

NP3 is electroless nickel with stuff. It is very hard. It is better than HC for rust resistance.

I love my NP3-finished gun, and hope/plan to have others similarly finished (now that I am done experimenting with other finishes).

GONIF

I live in Phoenix so Robar is close (no shipping) they have done 2 P7M13's for me . It was expensive ,more than Tripps charged me for Hard chromeing my other P7's or 1911's, and they took 3 times longer to do it than Tripp's . IMHO you would be better off haveing you pistol Hard Chromed at FORD's . Too bad Virgil Tripp is not hard chromeing any longer .IMHO Hard Chrome lasts longer and looks nicer .Robar charges $75.00 more for P7's because they have to tape off parts to not NP3 some parts with green tape ,mighty expensive green tape .:rolleyes: