Is Dry Firing advisable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdalire

Is all kinds of gun capable to be dry fired without causing damage to it.

Are the 1911's and 9MM DA/SA has no problem to dry fire. Would it not damage the firing pin, firing pin spring or other parts.

Walt Sherrill

It depends entirely on the individual type of gun.

Most centerfire handguns are safe to dry fire, but some folks still choose to use snap caps. (One exception is the Beretta Tomcat, which it is not safe to dry fire. Firing pins disappear in that gun with more than a few trigger strokes on an empty chamber. Sometimes they go with snap caps. I speak from experience.)

Most rimfires are NOT safe to dry fire, but there are exceptions there, too. Ruger semi-auto handguns are OK; they are adjusted at the factory so that the firing pin will not damage the chamber. The S&W Model 41 is similarly adjusted. Others may be, also.

Check the owner's manual, or call the gun company's customer service line to be sure.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Stdalire, someone posted a plan not long ago for making your own snapcaps. Basically you use a spent casing and replace the primer with a trimmed-down pencil eraser. I don't remember if you have to have a bullet or not--I'd guess yes. Also you're supposed to paint it a bright color, since you obviously don't want it to get mixed up with real ammo. If I can find the thread I'll put a link here but you can find it by searching.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

James K

Member In Memoriam
There is always some impact on ignition system parts when firing or dry firing. In a well designed and made firearm, that impact will be minimal. Most modern rimfire firearms are designed so the firing pin does not contact the edge of the chamber.

For snap caps, I recommend a piece of nylon like that used in binder posts rather than a rubber eraser. The nylon lasts longer and absorbs impact better, since the rubber is soft and often allows full depth penetration of the firing pin. Also, for shotguns, replace the cases every so often, as the bases tend to become distorted from repeated blows.

Jim

Keith Rogan

With but few exceptions, guns SHOULD be dry fired. If a pin breaks while dry-firing then it would have broken sooner or later anyway. Better at home in your living room than during a moment when you are relying on the piece to preserve your hide.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

It is NOT advisable to dry-fire SIG 229 -239 pistols as the firing pin stop is a hard stainless that WILL cause the pin to break when dry firing.

The ZOOM snap caps are the best going. Machined aluminium with a polymer primer that lasts almost forever.

Skorzeny

Where does one get "ZOOM" snapcaps?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Chuck Ames

Speaking of firing pins...

I know of two instances in which a Beretta 92 has accidentally discharged because of a broken firing pin.

Apparently, if the firing pin is broken and the hammer is decocked on a live round, the rear portion of the firing pin will be locked, but the broken portion can be propelled into the primer.

A quick test is to stick a pencil in the barrel of the cocked pistol, decock the weapon, and see if the pencil jumps.

Snap-caps are cheap, and if you can buy a gun and ammo, invest in a couple. Or do what I did, buy a set of them and split it with a buddy. Safe dry-firing is one of the best ways to improve your shooting. I've corrected numerous shooting errors and developed muscle memory through it, all while on a tight budget. It may not teach recoil management, but it can do wonders for grip, sight picture, and trigger press.

Status
Not open for further replies.