Is Desert Eagle "in" with Walther on the P99-AS? (pic)

tjhands

I found a gun that looks and functions EXACTLY like a Walther P99-AS. It would be a blantant patent infringement if they are separate. I want a Walther P99-AS but this Baby Desert Eagle is NIB for $580 and I will certainly buy it if they're together and it's the same gun.

If you KNOW whether they're the same gun, please chime in. If you don't know, just sit back and kindly be educated like I'm doing. I'd like to keep the ambiguous noise to a minimum.

Thanks, y'all. :)

Last edited:

tjhands

OK, here's the pic. Tell me this isn't a Walther P99. The trigger is exactly the same as the "Anti-Stress" one on the P99-AS. Has to be the same gun, no??

BEFA_L.jpg

rsxr22

wow i have never seen that before! I have no knowledge of Walther and DE being partners of any sorts. DE is Israeli and Walther, German. SW has released a gun that is the same as the P99 externally and that is because they are now in charge of Walther's US imports.
That DE is some crazy stuff, you got me!

David the Gnome

It's impressive that they managed to make the Walther P99 look ugly.

FYI, the Walther P99 can be had for the exact same price as that Magnum Research can.

ScottRiqui

Looking at the German Walther website, they're distributors for Magnum Research's guns, so there's obviously some kind of relationship between the two.

Also, if you read through this thread on the Walther Forums, evidently the pictures in the Baby Desert Eagle owner's manual show Walther banners on some of the disassembled parts. The consensus seems to be that the frames are made by Walther, with the "uppers" being made in the U.S.

voyager4520

Walther had a licensed version of the P99 that was produced by S&W. Since S&W started importing the real P99, they dropped their licensed version of it. So Walther licensed the design out to another company, Magnum Research(now Kahr).

(BH)

Yeah, that's for real.

I can't remember the story behind it, but that is a real gun that MR was producing for sale overseas. I doubt it will be in production anymore since Kahr took over. One of Kahr's reps was on GunTalk recently, and he stated that many of the guns in MR's previous lineup would not be in production for awhile. They are apparently only focusing on the top selling guns like the Desert Eagle until they get a full scale factory up and running. Even then, they may not be continuing many of the guns previously made by MR.

free2game

When it was announced Magnum Research and Walther were both owned by the same parent company Umarex. Now that Kahr owns them I'm not sure if they'll keep making them. The frames are actually made by Walther in Germany.
1zl3zps.jpg

Last edited:

predecessor

Yeah - when I was at the shot show I asked the booth dude why they were cloning the Walther and he gave me a sour look and gave me the cold shoulder. I can't see how it will sell well over the P-99 when it is only about $50 less. I might buy the gun if it were $400 or less but with the Walther as an alternative why bother?

Roc_Kor

"the Jerico was the "Baby Desert Eagle". Now this?"

Magnum Research stopped importing the "Baby Eagle" Jericho pistol and Charles Daly picked them up. Now Magnum Research has gone to the P99 for their new Baby Desert Eagle. But now that KBI/Charles Daly is out of business, no one is importing the Jericho pistols now, to my knowledge.