Is Cor Bon really worth the price?

vito

I couldn't find Cor Bon 380 auto at any local shop, so I ordered 1 box on the Internet. With shipping it came to about $35 for a box of 20! Is this ammo really so special that it is worth paying more than twice what I paid for Speer Gold Dot?

HappyGunner

Corbon Ammo.

They test their products and they are ready to answer any question about their Ammo. You can trust Them to have a quality product.:)

roadrash

Not if it does not feed reliably.You did buy enough so you can function test it right?

Before I would trust my life to it,I would have to make a $200 commitment at that price.

No,I do not think its enough better to justify their asking price.Cor-Bon is pretty proud of their ammo.
My self defense ammo is available in 50 rd. boxes.(9mm147gr.HST)

Gatorhugger

I tested Corbon DPX in 380, didn't like it. POOR penetration. I did like the Corbon JHP.
And you got majorly ripped off on the price.
Should have just bought a box of 25 golden sabers for $18.

RsqVet

Yes PLEASE function test that 380 with more than one box of any ammo.

A few years ago I thought corbon made some great ammo when many makers were still kind of ho-hum performers.

Now, I view them as but one choice among many all very good --- even the bigger name makes.

I recently switched to federal HST in my 45's --- Price was a factor here, for similar performance hard to argue the lower price.

tplumeri

I ran some corbon 9mm +P JHP thru my EMP w/o any issues.
but i dont think theyre worth twice the price of Hornady TAP!

mountainclmbr

You can usually get top performance ammo from Double Tap Ammo in boxes of 50 for around the same price as 20 rounds of Corbon. The powder is flash suppressed too.

bojack2575

When I first got my XDM I bought some Corbon 40 S&W 135 Grain Powerball and had about every other shot FTF. I also bought some cheap 180 Grain CCI Blazer and did not have the first problem. I am going to guess that the problem with the Corbon was that it was to light (135Grain) to properly cycle the slide. Since then I have put probaley 1000 rounds threw it (nothing under 165 Grain) and have not had another problem. So I guess I can only tell you how the light stuff performed.:cool:

w_houle

I ran a few CorBon .380 through the two pistols I have chambered for it and didn't have any problems. I shot some through some 2x6s and fished around the backstop 'til I found the bullets. They looked like they opened up to about 10mm. I think it would make for great SD ammunition.

GoSlash27

I would rate the offerings first by gel testing in your caliber, then by barrel length. In your case, Cor-bon is a notoriously bad performer.
Of course, the finest ammo on the market is worthless if your pistol won't feed it.
I run Cor-Bon DPX in my .40, but wouldn't run it in my .380; Golden Sabers do a better job there.

Pappy John

Worth the price?

Not in my book.

I feel the same about Buffalo Bore.

Their performance is duplicated by others at half the cost.

BurkGlocker

Never used anything Corbon except their .45 Colt Magnums 300 gr JSP in my .454 Raging Bull, only because they were cheaper than .454 Casull Partition Golds at the time. Other than that I personally believe that you can get better performing ammo at a cheaper price, like Rangers, Gold Dots or HSTs, and more of them. :D

Socrates

The advantage of Corbon, www.buffalobore.com and Double Tap is they use premium powders, and, they are long time reloaders. MANY times you'll get better performance with less recoil and less flash, because they use premium powders, where the big three will use the cheapest junk they can get their hands on, to maximize profit.

I bought one box of Remington 44 Special ammo nearly 30 years ago. They charged 25 bucks a box of 20, and, this for lead round nosed bullets, no gas check. They leaded my barrel, where super slow, I could see them going down range, and, recoil was truly horrible. I forgot to mention I couldn't keep them on a man sized target at 7 yards.

I went home, took that brass, loaded 240 grain Sierra HP's, at minimum 44 mag level, and, the same gun was nothing but head shots, 950 fps, less recoil, less flash, and much less unburnt powder. Eventually shot the gun loose, but, my handloads were better in everyway, and, I could tailor them to the short barrel on that gun.

dawgfvr

I think they are...

I carry nothing but DPX in my kel tec .380
my S&W 642
my Glock 26
my Stoeger Cougar
my Ruger .357 mag
my Taurus PT145

and when I begin reloading...I intend to use the Barnes all copper Bullet in my M1 Garand.

Alleykat

Socrates:
The advantage of Corbon, www.buffalobore.com and Double Tap is they use premium powders, and, they are long time reloaders. MANY times you'll get better performance with less recoil and less flash, because they use premium powders, where the big three will use the cheapest junk they can get their hands on, to maximize profit.

I'm amazed to hear that the major ammo manufacturers use "the cheapest junk they can get their hands on." Sure would like to see an authoritative source for that little gem.

Magyar

Is this ammo really so special that it is worth paying more than twice what I paid for Speer Gold Dot?
Conspicuous consumption at its worst....As it's been mentioned, so expensive that most pistoleros won't fire any at the range, so it sits in their mag not knowing what to expect after the 1st shot....:rolleyes:

Socrates

I'm amazed to hear that the major ammo manufacturers use "the cheapest junk they can get their hands on." Sure would like to see an authoritative source for that little gem.

Nature of the beast. Commercial Firearms reloading powders, or loading powders, are a VERY small part of the powder makers business. Think about it. How many cans of powder do you have to sell to make up six duffle bag sized bags of cordite, used in the Missiouri's rifle, firing one shot?

Each old 105MM cannon shell holds more powder then a lot of people use in a year.

Besides, what's the most important factor for a government contract? It's not the recoil from all those 308 rounds, it's does the bullet go as fast as it's supposed to, and, does it go bang? But, the number one question is, is the powder cheap enough so we can bid low, get the contract, and make money on it?

This carries over to the big companies, who, are also in the same business. The powder makers make a huge lot of powder for a military contract, and sell the over run to the commercial ammo makers, who then buy it, sell the same powder at 10 times what they paid for it, in loaded ammo. So, we bought all this powder that works best in large rifle cases. If we use that same powder in large pistol cases, we don't have to buy another powder just for some little market, like 44 special.

That's the advantage Corbon etc. have, is they can buy small non-commercial powder batches, and, optimize that match of powder to caliber, for intended use.

azredhawk44

To back up Socrates.... go buy a box of WWB .44 magnum at WalMart. (If you don't have a 44 so shoot it through, send the ammo to me when you're done with this experiment.;))

Shake the case, hold it next to your ear.

It's less than 1/3 full. That means they are using something even faster than Unique, at a minimal load, probably around 6gr or so. High economy, but inconsistent case pressure due to variable distance of the powder pile from the flash hole during ignition and large empty case capacity.

44mag doesn't really start to get accurate unless the case is at least 2/3 full, but best accuracy is typically acheived with the Win296/H110/2400 series of powders, which fill the case entirely from the flash hole to the bullet base.

(Insert obvious caveats regarding reloading, manuals, published loads, cartridge OAL's and other legal babble here.)

I can promise the Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore aren't getting by with 6gr of Titegroup or something like that, and calling it good as long as it goes bang and makes a hole somewhere on the paper at 15 yards.

That being said, the only retail 44mag ammo I've ever carried for defense has been Federal's Cast-Core 300gr LWC. It was not a max load for .44, and the bullet was set surprisingly deeply into the case to be compatible with S&W chambers as well as the longer ones of Ruger or Freedom Arms where heavy projectiles crimped long on the case are more common. It shot nicely and was controllable, and this was early in my days of 44-ism.