Is Colt responable for giving the 1911 a bad name?

Not to start a flame, I just want your opinion.

I've had and seen lots of problems with the Colt 1911's over the years. Kimber came along and really shook things up but now they seem to be doing the same of late.

The extractor are breaking on the new Colts but other than that they seem to be built tighter and better however they cost big money now.

I've owned many 1911's that were totally reliable and accurrate out of the box so it's obviously not the fine disign.:p

Today Dan Wesson and SA are doing the best in providing value IMHO.

Grayfox

I think the demands and attempts to "accuratize" the 1911 are the real problem. The original 1911 as designed by JMB and issued by the U.S. Military is an almost indestructable workhorse that will run darn near forever without a hic-cup. Its reliability is the result of the somewhat generous tolorances JMB designed into it. However, these same tolerences don't contribute well to accuracy. It is plenty accurate enough for short range defensive use, which is also what it was intended for.
But, since the first gunsmith figured out how to tighten up the old 1911 and turn it into a tack driving target gun, the general shooting public has demanded more and more accuracy out of stock production guns.
Manufacturers today are trying to strike a happy medium between reliability and accuracy while still keeping the price reasonable. Its a tedious juggling act that doesn't always work.
Then some are trying to control costs with, shall we say, less than optimum parts that tend to break or wear out sooner than they should. In some cases, old well know companies have changed to these cheaper parts resulting in sever damage to their once pristine reputations.
Finally, quality control just ain't what it used to be even in the best factories.
Personally, I consider any of the current factory production model 1911s to be nothing more than a parts kit to be tweaked and tuned as I feel necessary.

lonegunman

The third word in the title of this thread is spelled r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-l-e.

And the answer to your question is no.

James K

Member In Memoriam
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the extractor problems are the result of trying to make the part by casting or MIM. The extractor was intended to be made out of the best spring steel, but machining it out and tempering it is expensive, and the people on this site always lead off with "where can I get the cheapest...", so manufacturers sell them cheap junk.

Besides, the makers know that today 1911 type pistols are toys, mostly used for fun and games, not serious work. Few, if any, pros use them, no matter what the makers' advertising says. (One of those few that I know carries a Colt M1911A1 made in 1943; it is straight factory.)

Jim

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I poured lots of time and money into two Colt 1911s in the late 1970s and early 1980s, then gave up on the pistol.

Friends and acquaintances swore by Kimbers several years ago, and the one I tried seemed all right. I bought one. It's what Colt should have built. I've never had a failure to feed or extract, and it's amazingly accurate. I'm sure the Kimber isn't the only high quality model 1911 out of the box, but it's the best I've ever owned or shot.