Is Big Brother coming to your neighborhood soon?

Karanas

With all the anglophiles we seem to have in the present administration, one has to wonder how far away we are from something like this:

[url="http://www.nationalpost.com/news.asp?f=000330/246417"]http://www.nationalpost.com/news.asp?f=000330/246417[/url][/url]

Thursday, March 30, 2000

Britons under surveillance
A London commuter can be filmed 300 times on the journey to and from work

Carl Honore
National Post

LONDON - On a normal working day, Mandy Fisher sits in a darkened room and watches the people of Newham.

Her job is to monitor the 247 surveillance cameras that scan the streets of London's poorest borough, overseeing the activities of its citizens.

Such surveillance is now commonplace in Britain, whose people may be the most monitored in the Western world. But Newham is the first public authority anywhere to use software that enables a camera to recognize the faces of known criminals.

On a recent morning, Ms. Fisher, 33, twiddled the joystick on her keyboard, causing a camera to zoom in on a crowd of teenagers at a shopping mall two kilometres away.

"I wouldn't say we're guardian angels, but we make people more secure," she said, sizing up the youths. "We try to keep an eye on what's going on."

These days, Big Brother is watching not only Newham, but much of Britain.

There are more than one million surveillance cameras in the country recording the ebb and flow of daily life, and more are being added every week. Shopping districts, parking lots, elevators, buses, phone booths, even some public washrooms -- almost any public place is fair game for the prying eyes of the digital lens.

According to one study, the average commuter in London is now filmed 300 times on the journey to and from work. In Newham, cameras can trace every step you take from the subway station to the town hall, a distance of more than one-and-a-half kilometres.

But despite the obvious threat to personal privacy, many Britons seem not to mind living inside a version of The Truman Show. With crime rising, studies show surveillance cameras can curb law-breaking in town centres by more than 30%.

In Newham, a rough neighbourhood in east London, crime is at its lowest level in 20 years and the 12 worst criminals have moved someplace else. Rather than wringing their hands about Orwellian spying, the locals are clamouring for more cameras.

"People who talk about rights are usually on the side of the criminal," said Tracy Balwalla, a young mother. "If it's going to make the streets safer, then they can put up as many cameras as they want."

The control room for the Newham surveillance project looks like a TV production suite. Along one wall, screens ranged in rows show local people going about their business: shopping in the market, parking their cars, chatting on street corners, strolling through parks.

Around the clock, staff pan and zoom, searching for suspicious behaviour. Telephone hotlines link the centre with local police.

Every so often, an alarm sounds when the computer matches a face against its 100-strong database of known criminals. For now, though, the face-recognition software is basic and can only be linked to one camera at a time.

"You're not going to get every single crime, but you can make a difference," said Ms. Fisher.

Even the casual observer, though, can see the potential for abuse. On a whim, she could zoom in on a private yard or peer into someone's bedroom.

Unlike most Western countries, Britain has no laws on privacy, and statutory regulations for surveillance cameras are still being drawn up.

That leaves local councils to regulate themselves. In Newham, anyone caught playing Peeping Tom is fired on the spot.

"We're not trying to look over your shoulder, into your purse, into your private life -- we're just trying to look after you," said Bob Lack, a former policeman who runs the surveillance project.

"We're more your friendly uncle or aunt than we are your Big Brother."

Yet there are stirrings of unease. More Britons are asking whether enough is being done to police the people sitting behind the security cameras and whether there are too many cameras in the first place.

In much of continental Europe, where distrust of the state is more acute, the British penchant for surveillance is regarded with horror.

"The whole phenomenon is getting out of hand in Britain," said Stephen Waterman, a privacy advocate.

"If things carry on as they are, we'll lose all conception of what it feels like or what it means to walk down a street anonymously."

As face-recognition software grows more powerful, critics warn that images and data collected from surveillance cameras could be used for more than just law enforcement.

Already a supermarket in Edinburgh has been caught passing security footage to a marketing company. One local council released video images of a man preparing to commit suicide that were later screened on national TV.

"We want more debate about how much surveillance we really need and how it is to be regulated," said Liz Parratt, spokeswoman for Liberty, a human rights group. "Otherwise people may wake up in five or 10 years and wonder what kind of society they've created."

Some critics are starting to question how much crime security cameras really prevent. With so few operators monitoring so many cameras, unlawful deeds often slip through unnoticed. There is also evidence that video surveillance displaces, rather than eliminates, crime -- the smarter bad guys simply move their operations out of camera range.

Yet for British politicians and voters spooked by rising crime, the surveillance camera has become a talisman.

In Newham, the council plans to double the number of cameras on its streets to 500, and to equip 40 of them with the latest face-recognition software.

To most locals, the extra snooping seems a small price to pay for more peace of mind.

"Only people with something to hide have to worry about Big Brother," said Ross Anderton, a pensioner. "If you're an honest citizen, then you've nothing to fear, have you?"

Oatka

Key sentence: "Her job is to monitor the 247 surveillance cameras that scan the streets of London's poorest borough, overseeing the activities of its citizens."

Them damn poor again!

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

ernest2

"Otherwise people may wake up in five or 10 years and wonder what kind of society they've created."

I doubt the sheeple still retain the ability to wake up.

"Only people with something to hide have to worry about Big Brother," said Ross Anderton, a pensioner. "If you're an honest citizen, then you've nothing to fear, have you?"

Fear out of control government tyrnany,
Yoyo.

Ross Anderson and others like him, can just go on trusting the government until someday they nail them really good for something.

Just ask a survivor of Waco, They will tell you!

HankL

" said Tracy Balwalla, a young mother. "If it's going to make the streets safer, then they can put up as many cameras as they want."
Yes Ms B we are here from the ... we are going to install a camera in your bedroom to insure...

Herodotus

The people are not allowed to defend their own communities, homes or families, that would be a danger to the government. So they need to have massive seveillance (in some places) of the population. Then they need serveillance of the serveillers!
They are not sure it doesn't just displace crime!! Wonderful country.
Isn't frightening to think that these people speak a form of the English language, same as we do?

CassidyGT

And people think that we are not next for this sort of thing.

Mark my words.

Viva La Resistance!!

------------------
Thane (NRA GOA JPFO SAF CAN)
MD C.A.N.OP
tbellomo@home.com
http://homes.acmecity.com/thematrix/digital/237/cansite/can.html
www.members.home.net/tbellomo/tbellomo/index.htm
"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
--Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

EQUALIZER

She said, ""I wouldn't say we're guardian angels, but we make people more secure," she
said, sizing up the youths. "We try to keep an eye on what's going on."

Its a good thing that we have security rather than liberty, otherwise we might be in danger from some "teenagers". :rolleyes:

If you're interested, go to this site and down to search. Type in the word "genocide" and do some reading. jpfo.org You'll find that more murders have occured in the last 60 years from those of one's own nation who offer "security", than from all of the street thugs and individual murderers put together. And want to enforce existing gun laws?!?! How about repealing the existing ones.

---------------
"Reasonable gun law?........There's No such critter!"

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

jcoyoung

Sounds like a job for a suppressed 10/22 with night vision scope. :rolleyes:

I hope they like watching TV snow!

PFFFFF[clack]FFFFFT

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited April 06, 2000).]

buckskinner

Don't forget the susonic loads...

And now that I've said it, I'll be paranoid that me and 10/22's are on a list, and subsonic loads will soon be illegal!

What are we headed for?!

------------------
Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? For if it doth prosper, none dare call it treason." - John Barrington

Gopher a 45

Tell me again what the lives of so many good people, American and British, were sacrificed for during the 40s? I'm a little unclear on that at the moment.

Grrrrrr...

oberkommando

I would think their total gun ban would have made everyone safe and there would be no need for a surveillance system?

We allready got the cameras on the freeways and the stop lights just wait a little while longer and who know how creative they will be.

I think the british should put them in all the homes to curb any possible domestic violence. Hell we should start by putting one in the 0Val 0ffice, could have saved all that money that the evil ken starr spent fighting slick which we all know that the liberals are concerned about.

The Nazis would be proud of the Brits.

243 55gr@4,000fps for the cameras.

Shin-Tao

Disgusting.
The cameras are coming. They will be here soon. Along with UAVs that patrol set routes over "problem areas". We do that in the balkans already.
How much is too much? When has the gauntlet been thrown down?

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
You guys are fond of overkill. All you really need is a good Benjamin air rifle, or a nice wrist rocket. Of course, both of those are also banned in Britain, and I'm not kidding about that.

And let's not puff our chests about the difference between Americans and British. Look around your own community and be honest--would MOST of the Americans you know really object that strongly, if they were promised safer streets?
Not in my town, sadly enough.

Karanas

I recall that several years ago there was an incident over there where a young child disappeared while shopping with his mother. He was later found beaten to death and two young boys were charged with the crime. Analysis of the surveillance tapes covering the area where he disappeared showed him being led off by his murderers.
So the question of his safety under this system is obvious. Much like our 911 system, the reality of actual protection seems to be vastly overstated.

buckskinner

Hooray for air rifles and wrist rockets. If those are regulated we'll be back to bows and atlatls. Or maybe stones, clubs and spears.

In my town, Oakland CA, there is a constant helicopter presence. Very spooky. Also I see two project exile billboards every day. They say "Use a gun illegally, goto prison for 5 years. Turn in illegal guns - 1-800-BLAH BLAH."

I need to live here for one more year, then I move to the Sacramento Valley for better or worse.

------------------
Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? For if it doth prosper, none dare call it treason." - John Barrington

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Overkill, Don?

Black spray paint: check.
Ski mask: check.
Marlin 1895 .45-70: check.

(clack-clack) Let's Rock! :D