Is anyone torn about selling AR's after the CT tragedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper99

Hello all,
I keep felling that maybe I should just sell part of my guns and just keep a few.
Anyone else going thrugh this too?

I ended up getting another AR,a Rock River Varmint AR because of this. My brother had bought it about a year ago, he decided he wanted to part with it after the bad press. I traded him a Remington Bolt Rifle for it. I have seen quit a few sell theirs because of what happened.

jmortimer

If I had the $$$ I would be in the buy, buy, buy crowd. More children died of starvation today than were shot to death in the "CT Tragedy."

bigkrackers

Yeah, I get the same way about my cars when I read or see a fatality involving drunk drivers and kids. I want to just get rid of them but feel guilty for wanting to sell them as well. Poor me.

Joe_Pike

No. I felt great sadness for these folks and for the loss of these innocent lives but I felt no guilt for owning guns. That being said, I will not sell anything because of this tragedy taking place.

dmazur

When I read about the "Texas Tower" shootings, I took away no particular aversion to Remington 700's in 6mm.

That was a terrible tragedy, but the fault was the unbalanced shooter, not the battery of weapons he assembled.

My present distaste for Remington 700's is more related to their factory safety than any past history associated with a madman...

But that's just a rational approach, and it may not work for everyone. :)

SPEMack618

My only association with that horrible shooting and Mr. Stoner's rifle was to wish I could have been there with my old squad and our M-4A1s.

However, I do wish the anti-gunners out there could read threads like these and see that we, as the shooting community, are just as devestated as they are.

SauerGrapes

I feel your pain. I was devastated when I heard about the CT shooting. I was driving home from work when I heard the news. It brought tears to my eyes.

Your only feeling the way you are because, you have a moral compass. The antigun crowd seems to think we as gun owners are void of compassion and deep sorrow for loss of life.

Comancheseven

No, I got my AR for work.Now that I am retired I still need it for teaching with my old agency. Puls I enjoy shooting it. So does that make me a bad guy, or some nut-job because I like my AR. I don't think soooooo.

I keep felling that maybe I should just sell part of my guns and just keep a few.
Anyone else going thrugh this too?
Do what you feel is right. Nobody can criticize you for that.

That said, I don't see any equivalence between what one horrible person did with the rifle and what I do with it. But that's just me.

Cy4ka

Hell no.

Tell ya what, you should sell yours though, I mean, you are a gun owner so you are in part responsible for what happened. You ought to sell me your ARs at half price for it.

Do it, you'll feeeel better.

MLeake

My moral compass is fine.

That said, I don't contemplate selling my truck, motorcycle, or car whenever a drunk driver or street racer kills people on the road. I don't consider tossing away my pilot's license when an airliner crashes somewhere.

There is no more relationship between spree shooters and my guns than there is between drunk drivers and my truck.

SauerGrapes, trust me I know. I was on my way home when my wife called and told me what happened. It hit me rather hard. I actually had to stop and get out and walk for a few after turning he radio station o the news... My wife and I have a toddler daughter, and the first thing I did was think, what if it were her...

I guess what bothered me the most was DiFi on the news immediately about guns... Seriously, lets exploit it.... What a despicable woman. Sorry about the off topic rant..

Now back on topic...No, I haven't given a thought to selling my collection.

Last edited:

jpcmt

Some seriously emotional wrecks out there selling or destroying their guns and it's sad...not just for the guns being destroyed but because people are so detached from being rational during a tragedy. Our media has ingrained within us a need for "revenge" "blame" and "closure" because we're apparently incapable of dealing with things. We buy into it without reasoning for ourselves for fear of reprisal if we don't react the way others do.

This knob went and gave away or destroyed his collection and I guarantee you once he took 5 seconds of his "own" time to think about how he should feel, he's regretting it all. Unless of course he went full retard and took it further by thinking he needs to ally himself with do-gooders who want change and to have a real conversation about their feelings and agendas...

FOr my part, I decided to make some money to diversify my armaments. Sold a handsome AR I had for lots of money and funded a new Kimber, 1k rounds of 45, all the wiz-bang accessories I could find for it and my AK, and some other stuff! :) I sleep well at night and I still grieve for the lost life of all children before and after the Sandy Hook massacre. I have 4 little ones of my own that I hold tight.

Dre_sa

No, I'm not planning on selling anything.

Given the current inflation of prices on ARs though, I have got the crazy idea of maybe trading my AR for a Benelli M4. Given the increase in demand for ARs, this idea seems at least plausible. But I'll admit, probably unlikely.

Not that I want to get rid of my AR, I love the little thing, but I already have another very good rifle. I lack a shotgun though, and in the unlikely event that restrictive legislation be passed, trading an AR for a shotgun would mean less trouble for me on that very bad day. (I think at least).

StukaJU87

I'm sorry, but how does getting rid of "insert any item that could be used to cause harm to someone else", after you heard someone used the same "item" to hurt someone else, going to make any real difference?

You're better off keeping what you have and educating yourself and your loved ones how to be safe around such "items".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.