Is a M1 garand legal to own in NY?

blackamos

I have a friend in New York state and aked me if I knew if a M1 garand is legal under the new law? I don't know so I'm going to ask here. Anyone know?

Ridge_Runner_5

The new law says you can keep mags (or clips) up to 10 rounds, but can only load them to 7. You'll have to load the en-bloc to 7 rounds somehow.

Either buying one of those odd capacity clips like they make for competition shooting, or filling the 8th space with a dummy round.

But since the gun has a bayonet lug, does that mean it can be owned? And would you want to grind off the lug to own it?

Wyosmith

If the Constitution is the "SUPREME LAW of the LAND” how can such a question be asked?
The answer is simple.
Cowardice is rampant and the surrender is in effect without there even being a fight.

The soon censoring of this comment is still more proof of it's accuracy.

30Cal

The law says "contains more than 7 rounds of ammunition."

Also, it says you can load up to 10 if you're at an actual range or competition.

Palmetto-Pride

First it was 10 rounds, now 7, next it will be 4 rounds, and then 2, at what point do the people of this country and New York stand up and say enough is enough when it gets down to you can have any gun, but 0 ammo for them....:eek:

Ben Towe

If the Constitution is the "SUPREME LAW of the LAND” how can such a question be asked? The answer is simple. Cowardice is rampant and the surrender is in effect without there even being a fight.

The soon censoring of this comment is still more proof of it's accuracy.

The law is already in the process of being challenged. This is how our government works. In the meantime, what do you propose he do? Start a one man war against the state of New York with his M1? What would that accomplish? At least hold off on the armed resistance talk until all other avenues have been exhausted.

raimius

Soap box, ballot box, and Jury box, come before the more nasty measures.
Fortunately, our nation has kept it to the more civil methods most of the time. Here's praying it will continue to utilize civil means for solving differences for a LONG time to come.

Does NY's ban language include firearms with detachable mags, because the M1's is most certainly fixed.

chris in va

I was thinking.

It's not even an LEO response on this. Enforcement will come from the range owner that doesn't want his operating license taken away because someone shows up with an M1 and standard 8rd clip.

Enforcement of the 'law' will be from peer pressure.

Pathetic.

BfloBill

I have friends with the same problem and from what they have found out it should be grandfathered in as long as you don't load it to capacity. (Don't know about the bayonet lug) But what is really making them want to puke is the fact that there is no provision to pass their collection to their children. Once it's registered, when the original owner dies the State Police will show up, confiscate the gun, and destroy it. It is only grandfathered in for the original owner.

They are still looking into it though and if I find out different I will re-post.

Metal god

Didn't congress pass something in the 50s or 60s that states any American can own a M1 garand or us military surplus rifle through the CMP or something like that ? I'm not sure how it reads or is written but my buddy had a M1 garand shipped directly to his house last year . We are in CA and he did not need to go through a FFL or anything . Fed-ex just drooped it off .

Does anybody know how the law or what ever it is works and would it trump any state laws .

tahunua001

this one went downhill fast...
or as my good friend ron might say...
32641994_zps606a9169.jpg

darkgael

Language

The NYS SAFE act, which I have - complete - on my lap as I write this, refers to "ammunition" and "rounds" of ammunition, never bullets.
The M1 Garand is legal as far as I understand what I am reading. What are banned are "magazines that have the capacity to hold more than ten rounds of ammunition"
As to the weapon itself.....is an en bloc clip a magazine?
NYS has gone to a "one feature test" as a way to identify a firearm as an "assault weapon". If it has a detachable magazine that can hold more than ten rounds, and one other feature (a folding or telescopic stock, a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the gun, a thumbhole stock, a second handgrip or protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand, a bayonet mount, a flash supressor...etc., a grenade launcher) it is an assault weapon. Shotguns and pistols very much the same in many details. No fixed mags of more than seven rounds on a semiauto SG.
Pete

RedBowTies88

Didn't congress pass something in the 50s or 60s that states any American can own a M1 garand or us military surplus rifle through the CMP or something like that ? I'm not sure how it reads or is written but my buddy had a M1 garand shipped directly to his house last year . We are in CA and he did not need to go through a FFL or anything . Fed-ex just drooped it off .

Does anybody know how the law or what ever it is works and would it trump any state laws .

If such a law exists is it surely not enforced.

In NJ you cannot have any guns shipped to you PERIOD. That INCLUDES Pre 1898 antiques, black power, and even BB guns. It also includes C&R holders... they still have to go through an 01ffl to have a c&r gun shipped here thus basically negating the usefulness of an 03c&r.

Also, as far as US milsurps being allowed well thats just not true. The M1 carbine is illegal in NJ in all its variations... its banned by name.

stu925

M1 Garand is still legal, first it's not a detachable magazine. Second there is a C&R clause in the AWB law. Anything 50 years or older is considered a curio or relic and doesn't fall under the ban. Go ahead and order your CMP, you'll be fine. By the way there's an exemption for the 7 round rule for shooting at an incorporated firing range or in competition recognized by the NRA. Check out http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq for the FAQ on the new law.

Stu

Oldwoodsloafer

M1 Rifle Magazine

Actually, the M1 rifle has a seven round magazine. Placing a full eight round clip in the rifle will not allow the bolt to close if there is a cartridge in the chamber. Loading a full clip only works while loading a completly empty rifle. As I read the new law, it only seems to address magazine capacity, not firearm capacity.

The question now becomes: how will the New York State Police regard the M1 clip?

Or, for that matter, what about the military stripper clips used to fill magazines for M16/M4's or M1 carbines?

This will hopefully be sorted out by April 15.