Is a Desert Eagle .44 mag the cure?

Dodge DeBoulet

I have a couple of S&W M&Ps (.40 FS and Compact) that I've been having a lot of plinking fun with. I'm reloading, so it hasn't been terribly expensive. My aim just isn't improving as quickly as I'd like, though, and I think it has something to do with anticipating and/or flinching from the recoil.

My brother-in-law is selling his Desert Eagle .44 mag at what appears to be a very good price, and I'm thinking of taking it off his hands. I've fired that particular gun a couple of times in the past, and it has an impressive kick to it.

So am I being ridiculous in thinking that the recoil from this Israeli monster will cure me of flinching with my .40 Small & Wimpy guns?

(Whether it will or not, I'm sure my wife won't believe it)

And does this mean that .40S&W is just a gateway caliber to a more powerful addiction? :D

Willie Lowman

Yes, .40 is your gateway caliber.

If the price is right, buy the .44 but don't expect it to make you a better shot.

Practice, concentration, and discipline will make you a better shot. Focus on your breathing, grip, sights, and trigger pull. Developing a good slow smooth trigger pull will help more than a magnum's recoil will.

FWIW, my first handgun was a .44 Ruger Redhawk. It wasn't the magnum that made me a better shot, it was the fact that I was determined to shoot that thing well.

WoofersInc

If you are having trouble with flinching, going to something with more recoil is not the way to go. It will only make the flinch more pronounced.
You will be much better off by getting a 22LR pistol and using that for practise. Once you are shooting that well then try shooting the 40.

Dodge DeBoulet

I don't have any problem at all with dry-fire practice; the sights stay spot-on the target. I think it's something subconscious.

I thought that maybe having a BFHG might desensitize me to the powder-puff kisses of my .40 S&Ws. ;)

Oh, well. I think I'll still grab the Desert Eagle. It's in great condition, and with some dies, a shell plate and some large pistol primers I'll be able to shoot it pretty cheaply too.

aarondhgraham

I side with WoofersInc and Willie Lowman on this question,,,

Buy the Desert Eagle because it's something you want to own,,,
Not because it will help you get used to a monster recoil.

But tell your wife that we all agreed this is what will improve your aim,,,
Do or say whatever it takes to justify the coin for the Desert Eagle.

I'm chuckling here thinking on some of the things I have used,,,
To justify a desired thing of some particular moment.

I heard or read somewhere that practice does not ensure perfect performance,,,
Perfect practice is what makes perfect performance.

Many years back I was a serious competitive archer,,,
I was training to try out for the 1976 olympics,,,
I would go to the range and shoot a few ends.

If my coach thought I was ~on~ that day,,,
We would practice for hours.

If he thought I wasn't ~on~,,,
He told me to go home.

His thought was, "Why practice doing something badly",,,
It actually made sense and seemed to work,,,
I improved a lot under his tutelage,,,
Didn't make the team,,,
But I had fun.

My point here is maybe you just need a bit of coaching,,,
By someone who is a qualified shooting coach.

So buy the Desert Eagle,,,
Get in touch with a good coach,,,
And when you are shooting much better,,,
Tell the wife, "See Honey,,, my strategy worked."

Then you can use that success story,,,
To justify buying the Magnum Research BFR.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR.asp

It's a win-win situation for everyone

Last edited:

Sarge43

I had a DE .44 mag for a few years. It was a lot of fun to shoot, but I let it go.
Everyone that I've ever worked with that developed a flinch responded quite well to DROPPING to a .22 in their efforts to get rid of it. It had just as much to do with their minds and it did with their physical flinch. Once they got used to hearing the "bang" without the recoil, they could start working on actually squeezing the trigger and controlling the shots. They slowly saw their tendency to flinch start to disappear. I tend to work them up in recoil until we get to a cartridge that they desire, or at least one that's a viable carry option. I've not seen anyone in my personal experience get over a flinch by beating it out with a heavier weapon in weight or recoil. Maybe you'll be the first though.
Good luck!
Sarge

Skans

My Desert Eagle .44 is great at knocking down bowling pins. I don't use it for much else and it's gotten expensive to shoot. I still like it because it is a well made gun and an intersting design. But, if the right gun came around that I just had to have, I'd considere using it in a swap or selling it and replacing it with something else.