Is a .38+p really a concern in HD?

Fer

Recently read that a loaded Snub with +p's for defence could leave you deaf and muzzel flash blind you if shot in doors and in the dark.
Ok this will happen with most calibers, but is it really that much different compared with standard .38 spl.(never shot a +p:eek:)

Regards,

tblt44

All loads are diferent even +p speer short barrel are really hot out of a snub.
Blind you no
Make you deaf no,you might here some ringing for a while

tju1973

?

Even if that was the case-- is it better to be dead, or deaf..

don't worry-- you would be no worse for the wear...

ninjatoth

you might get 1/3 more power or something with the +p.I really doubt it would make a difference in real world use.But i'm sure some will disagree with me.

rantingredneck

Any gun fired indoors without muffs is going to hurt your ears and quite possibly cause some long term hearing loss. As others have already said though, the alternative is much worse.

I'll take a little tinnitus and decreased hearing to keep me and my family alive.

trespass

plus p

think a plus p adds 100-150 fps generally...probably less from a snubby...
15/20% gain or so. cost is recoil and blast..is always a cost with
heavier loads. personally, I load the buffalo bore 38 special 150 grain
hardcast wadcutter in my 442. ammo is a little hard to find right now,
but when supplies open up might give this a try.

OldCorp

I have had occasion to shoot .38 +p ammo indoors in a deadly force encounter. Thanks to auditory exclusion, which is very common in high-stress situations, all I heard was 'pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. No ear ringing at all.

Daryl

In all the stress and excitement of the situation, you won't even notice the blast, recoil, or muzzle flash.

Daryl

ChicagoTex

The performance improvement from going +p with a .38 special is very much worth it in my opinion.

The increase in flash and report is pretty small between the two. As a lot of folks have pointed out, auditory exclusion in an SD scenario can help naturally protect you.

As an anecdote to allay your fears, I have very acute, sensitive hearing. It wasn't indoors, but I once had a fellow touch off a .30-30 about 6 feet in front of me without warning while I didn't have any hearing protection on. My hearing went totally dead for around a full minute before it slowly started returning. 10 minutes later I was more or less back to normal, and I suffered no appreciable loss in hearing from the incident (which is not to say that making a habit it of it wouldn't cause severe damage).

The point of my story is that it takes A LOT to deafen you, especially if you very rarely expose your ears to unprotected gunfire. A .38 special, +P or not, is highly unlikely to do either of your ears in.

carguychris

The increase in flash and report is pretty small between the two.
+1. In my experience, the level of "flash and bang" has more to do with the individual load and less to do with +P vs. standard pressure. Certain standard-pressure loads generate more muzzle flash than some +P loads.

I recommend testing different loads back-to-back at dusk to evaluate the difference. Even if you're wearing proper ear protection, it's still pretty easy to judge the noise difference.

guruatbol

I am not sure about the blind part, but I don't care what anyone says, I have been in a 1500 sqft house and had a 9mm go off and you will go deaf. It is a short lived experience, but you will not hear anything. I stood there watching the dog bark without a sound. Strangest thing I have ever seen. I was a bit disoriented as well.

I also know from firing +P in .38 for work without ear protection and my 9mm, the +P in a S&W .38 with a 4" barrel that the .38 is louder.

Just my .02

Mel

+1. In my experience, the level of "flash and bang" has more to do with the individual load and less to do with +P vs. standard pressure. Certain standard-pressure loads generate more muzzle flash than some +P loads.
Exactly. Flash and bang is only in part a caliber issue, and is far more a result of the powder used and other such niceties.

Jim March

I know of only ONE 38+P load likely to cross the sound barrier from a snub: Buffalo Bore's 125+P. So avoid that one.

:rolleyes:

whichfinger

No offense intended, but I think the idea that "auditory exclusion" somehow magically saves your hearing from damage is a viral myth. Your brain may shut down some sensory input under stress, but the overpressure from loud noise is still affecting the cilia in your inner ear, and the damage is cumulative. You may hear temporary ringing after a gunshot and, because it goes away after a short time, believe you dodged a bullet (sorry :D) but your hearing has definitely suffered damage. It may not be apparent the first few times but repeated exposure will eventually result in tinnitus, which will only get worse with continued exposure. Some of us sleep with a fan going to help drown out the ringing. Some of us also find ourselves in need of hearing aids.

A little google-fu can be enlightening, for those who want to be enlightened. Here is a website associated with the National Institutes of Health with a FAQ addressing hearing loss.

And hearing loss is also a big problem for returning vets. The Hearing Loss Association of America estimates "The latest number of veterans returning with hearing loss is 70,000."

There is a wealth of info accessible via Google if you take the time to look.

KingEdward

i agree with others who stated that in actual SD situtations and firing, the senses will not be affected as much as you may think. A member of my family was involved in (shot) a robber in his kitchen a few years ago.

the weapon used was a double barrel 20 gauge in a medium sized kitchen at 5am in the morning. The gun was fired and the intruder lost part of his head/face. The family member said he didn't hear much of anything when he pulled the trigger. Just saw the matter hit the wall behind the BG and then he laid the gun down on the coffee table in the living room and called for an ambulance. The man killed was a burglar (according to Police) and had a crowbar in his possession along with two knives (concealed).

pendennis

+1 on Whichfinger's statement. You can also go to the following NIOSHA web site. It has a wealth of information, plus side-by-side ratings of various ear muffs and ear plugs.

They'll also call you if you send them an email with a question. A couple of years ago, I sent in a question, and received a phone call from an acoustic engineer. He spent over an hour answering my questions, and provding some very valuable information.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/

This is government at its best.