Is a 20" barrel enough for a 223 cal varmint/target rifle ?

WIN1886

Is this enough barrel length for an efficient & accurate 223 cal rifle with a faster barrel twist ( 1 in 8" or 1 in 9 " ) ? It will most likely be a bolt action with a medium or heavy weight barrel...thanks !

tahunua001

what emcon said. my varmint rifle is an AR15 with 16 inch barrel with 1:9 twist and it nails rock chucks at 400 yards.

Mobuck

My 24" bolt action displays significant velocity increases over a 20" barrel. Rifling twist rate has little to do with this other than to slow the 20" velocity even more.

wpsdlrg

I am not a .223 user, but I can tell you, from a technical point of view....yes, 20" is just fine. The .223 round, in any loadings of which I have heard, does not use a slow enough powder to necessitate a barrel longer than 20". That is the real factor here. A longer barrel will NOT enhance accuracy. That concept is an "old wives tale", so to speak. As long as the twist rate of the barrel in question is proper for the cartridge and bullet weight used and the barrel is long enough to allow for complete combustion of the powder used in the load....one is fine with the minimum length necessary to fit those criteria (except as specified in the next paragraph). In fact, a shorter barrel (within the needed limits) will often produce better accuracy, because it is stiffer by nature and less subject to barrel harmonics.

For LONG range shooting however, the barrel length needs to be chosen also to try to ensure sufficient remaining velocity of the bullet, as it reaches the distant target. So, for distances greater than 300 - 400 yards, it might well be better to choose a barrel at the long end of the acceptable range. Perhaps 22" would be better - but most likely 26" would be too long. Whatever the optimum number might be, for the .223 (and the distances at which you will shoot it), I do not know (as I don't shoot that cartridge). No doubt someone here will be able to assist you with that specific info.

The OP mentioned a "varmit" rifle.....so presumably he intends to use a scope (probably exclusively). So, additional barrel length just for a longer sight radius (for iron sight use) is probably moot.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My varmint upper on my AR is 20", but with a slow twist since I only use 50- or 55-grain bullets. Lightweight barrel. No difficulty in getting three-shot sub-MOA groups with a Weaver K4 on top.

My Ruger 77 Mk II light sporter does a bit better on group size. 22" barrel, 1:10 twist, 3x9 scope. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, reliably.