Is a 2"bbl. .22lr good for anything?

seeker_two

After a trip to my favorite gunstore (Praco, Waco TX), I've got the itch to bring another one home....

I've been planning to get a .22lr revolver for awhile, and I'd like a lightweight DA one for plinking, snake/critter defense, backup/backup-for-backup pistol, and as an understudy to my other revolvers (esp. my K-38 and soon to buy .38SPL snub). I've seen quite a few .22lr revolvers offered with 2" barrels (esp. a used Taurus 94 bargain). I'm just concerned that the ballistics of a .22lr out of a 2"bbl. isn't going to be useful for a S/VD or SD gun.

What say you? Should I take the plunge with the 2" or hold out for a longer barrel?.....

Thanks in advance..... :D

Cool_Hand

Im looking to get a smith wesson model 63 with 3" barrel in .22lr since its almost the exact dimensions of my 3" model 60 which is my carry gun. I figure it'll be good practice at a fraction of the cost since I cant afford to constantly shoot .38/.357. Other than that I cannot see a use for a .22lr snubbie

RichardWA

I shot a friends 2" .22 once, wasn't very accurate, especially over ten feet! Kinda felt akward too....
I prefer at longer barrel on the smaller caliber guns

briandg

that would be utterly useless to me, unless it was the very last chance weapon in a catastrophic situation.

It's not a target pistol, not a hunter, not a defensive gun, not even a can shooter. It begs the question, what the heck is it good for?

But, the point is, do you want it?

Sarge

In this day of semi-custom guns that cost over a thousand dollars, it is good to look back on a time when all we wanted was a dependable, accurate sidearm; something that would suffice for a hike in the woods, or a jaunt back to our favorite bass pond. For most of us, these recreational forays began when we were teenagers, and didn't have lot of money to spend on fancy hardware. We traveled light and fast, and a good, cheap .22 pistol was a much sought-after commodity. All it needed to do was work reliably, and be accurate enough to kill a moccasin, or the occasional squirrel that was dumb enough to get within range. If it did all these things and was still small enough to stow in a tackle-box- well, so much the better.
The Hunnerd-Dollar Gun

Actually they can be capable of useful accuracy, even at 25 yards.

R-92.jpg

orionengnr

I'm just concerned that the ballistics of a .22lr out of a 2"bbl. isn't going to be useful for a S/VD or SD gun.
As well you should be. As a fun range toy/plinker, yes. As a serious HD/PD gun....no.

Venom1956

Sarge a buddy of mine has that gun... I loved it very fun little guy... I've noticed HV ammo tends to fly all over the place outta snubbies use subsonics or regular velocity, even longs and shorts... you'd be surprised.

Sarge

The OEM front sight was way off Venom... I used a spare front sight from the parts bin and filed until I got a 25 yard zero. I use the Federal 38 grain bulk HP for just about everything 22 related. It's cheap, always in stock at ChinaMart and it's been a decent game killer to boot.

Sarge

I used a heavy vise to hold the OEM sight and with a little wiggling, it came out like a loose tooth. Mic'ed the width of the old sight stub & filed the taller, replacement sight down for width, adding about 0.003 for a tighter fit. Then I duplicated the contour of the OEM stub & filed a light bevel on it for easier installation.

I put a drop of loctite red on it & pressed it into the barrel using a heavy vise with aluminum jaw inserts. That'll probably be the last thing to fall off this little gun. It's been used hard for 6 years and banged around some; still works and shoots well enough to knock rabbits or squirrels over at 15-20 paces.

dreamweaver

lol! try one with this sized barrel! a bear to shoot and only good at 10 feet or less, but still better than a knife! and yes, that's a belt buckle it rides in.:)
i have the 22 mag cylinder as well. i would prefer not to get shot in the face with either caliber!

wmmd1924365.jpg

Bill DeShivs

A quality 2" bbled revolver is inherently as accurate as a 6" barreled gun. You just have to learn to shoot it.
Velocity from a 2 incher is going to be minimal, but it could still stop someone if you do your part.

22-rimfire

It's not a target pistol, not a hunter, not a defensive gun, not even a can shooter. It begs the question, what the heck is it good for?

I felt that way years for a long time and discounted a 22 snubbie. I could never figure out why someone would pay serious money for a 2.5" Colt Diamondback in 22. Well, apparently a lot of people felt this way as not very many were made. The same applied to the Smith Model 34. Well, now I would love to own both. I keep putting off buying a Smith 317 or Model 63. But they are on my buy list and will eventually have one.

As far as use goes, I would use one for a carry piece hiking, potentially a carry piece for self defense on occasion, boat gun, and a plinker. I'd probably buy the 3" M317 as opposed to the shorter barreled one. People that own them say they are fairly accurate, but you would have to learn to shoot it effectively. Snubbies aren't the easiest revolvers to hit with, but they are a lot easier to shoot and hit with as compared to a NAA mini-revolver.

Owlhoot

For many years I owned and enjoyed a snub S&W model 34 which as you probably know had adjustable sights. I had a Tyler T grip adaptor on mine and I thought it was an outstanding kit gun. It was small but extremely accurate.

I wouldn't have preferred it for any use other than the niche it filled. Today I wouldn't have much use for it at all. I can load .38 spec. for not much more than .22lr costs. So there just isn't much reason for it now. But still it was a dandy little revolver and I enjoyed it. However, I think it would have been even better with a three or four inch barrel.

Bill DeShivs

"It's not a target pistol, not a hunter, not a defensive gun, not even a can shooter. It begs the question, what the heck is it good for?"

If you learn to shoot - it becomes a target pistol, small game pistol, defensive gun, and plinker.

The gun is capable. Most shooters won't take the time to learn to shoot these guns well. If you do learn to use one, you will be even better using a gun with a longer sight radius.

darkgael

.22 snubbie

Useful? Yes, depending on what you want to use it for. Plinking, snake, critter, small game - OK. SD - iffy at best.
I carry a S&W 317 with a 2" bbl. as a walk-in-the-woods gun just about anytime that I am out. During the Upland hunting season, it lives in my hunting vest.
Accuracy....I am accurate with it if I practice with it. Small guns require use and attention to be fired accurately. A .22 snubbie is no less accurate than a .38 snubbie, just less powerful.
Power - I chrono'd SV/HV .22s from this gun some years ago. The upshot is that it is slightly less powerful than a .25 ACP fired from a 2" bbl. About 60 ft.lbs. of energy at the muzzle.
Pete

rep1954

I just have sent a check away to a fellow for a Ruger MKII 5 1/2" Bull barreled upper with the intent on bobbing it to 2". I have been thinking of this project for some time now. I've got to locate a 22/45 lower for it now.
No paticular use for it besides plinking. I have been wanting a S&W 317 with a 2" barrel for some time now maybe that will happen soon, sounds like a good Christmas present for myself. Just look at tha barage of short barreled 22 rimfire single shots and revolvers made in the 1800's and into the 1900's, these guns were used with the old black powder loads and used for self defense.

Paul105

Here are some actual chronograph results

2” Lady Smith Airlite 317-2 Chron Results
– Temp 70 – 3 Paces from Muzzle (Approx 9’):

WW High Speed HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,005 fps
WW High Speed HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 941 fps
WW High Speed HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 997 fps
WW High Speed HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 973 fps
WW High Speed HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 982 fps

CCI Mini Mag HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 893 fps
CCI Mini Mag HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 908 fps
CCI Mini Mag HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 862 fps
CCI Mini Mag HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 871 fps
CCI Mini Mag HP (100 Rnd Plastic Pack) 888 fps

CCI Stinger HP (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,120 fps
CCI Stinger HP (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,091 fps
CCI Stinger HP (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,079 fps
CCI Stinger HP (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,094 fps
CCI Stinger HP (50 Rnd Plastic Pack) 1,069 fps

Paul

aarondhgraham

I think they have a a lot of uses,,,

A Model 36 snubbie in .38 Special is my preferred carry gun,,,
I recently bought a Model 34 in .22 as a companion piece.

I don't think I would ever carry it as a SD gun,,,
But since it is the exact size, weight, and feel of my Model 36,,,
It is the perfect companion gun (S&W's wording) for inexpensive practice.

Shooting off a bench it is amazingly accurate,,,
I shoot at clay pigeons at 25 yards,,,
I usually hit 3 and scare 3.

My Lady friend carries a Charter Arms .38 Special snubbie,,,
After I bought my Model 34 she liked shooting it,,,
She has since ordered a Charter Arms .22,,,
She appreciates the cheap practice.

So, yes,,, they have value,,,
Even if it's for the cheaper practice sessions.

VelmaVeldaPach.jpg

Last edited: