Is $280 fair price for a used Taurus PT911?

New_comer

100 rounds fired thru it...

pt911.gif

Owner seems to dislike handguns after all...

Comes with holster, the original casing, and some ammo.

No more warranty for second owners. :(

I've read here someplace about a frame failure in the metal Taurus pistol. Any truth to that? This is quite important as I won't have warranty protection.

Is it worth that price? :confused:

Last edited:

glockorama

The 9xx series of guns are great, it's the 1xx series (the milleniums) that you need to worry about, ie. avoid like the plague. $280 sounds "ok", particularly in the shape you describe. I saw one at a local shop for $225, but it was a little dinged up, but not bad, maybe at around 95%. See if you can get them around $250 and work your way up. I ALWAYS haggle on used guns, even at the biggest gun shops. The smart ones will come down a bit, probably not to $250, but maybe some.

I almost bought that 911, but it was gone by the time I had the money (a week later!). Good gun.

What's this about no more warranty for second owners??? When did that start?:confused:

glockorama

I just got this from the taurus web site:
The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy is just that. Unlimited and Lifetime. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. That's right. If you bought your Taurus used or from another person, the Warranty works for you, too. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. Because we know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.

Has something changed?

New_comer

May be a local rule.

I'm on the other side of the Pacific, for those who may not have noticed.

Sorry 'bout that ;)

Kermit

From Quezon City to California, to parts inbetween, if the company says unlimited lifetime, no local shop can over ride that warranty.
As for the price...sounds like a good deal! If for nothing else, it would make for a good beater gun.

Eric Larsen

its a good price...not great..but solid. The warranty is good for the 20th owner of the weapon...as long as its a Taurus problem..not an owner induced problem....Shoot well

Lennyjoe

Bout my first Taurus used from a Pawn Shop. Dont know how many rounds it had thru it but after I put around 3,000 it developed a hairline crack just above the ejector and I sent it back to Taurus. 3 weeks later they sent me a brand spankin new one. PT100 AFS.

nvrquit

Hey Eric, would you like...

... to know how to replace the blued slotted grip screws with nice shiny hex head grip screws?

BTW, the same fix for the PT9Xx series also works on the PT5X, PT9X and PT10X series. It's quick, easy and only requires the new hex head grips screws and bushings from Taurus.

BigMike

I think I remember someone saying that the 940 .40 mags held 14 9mm rounds and worked flawlessly in the 911?? Mike

nvrquit

9X19mm in a .40 S&W mag...

BigMike,

Yeah, the same thing can be done with the Ruger P-91 breban 11 round mags. If I remember correctly, they can hold 14 rnds. of 9mm. They work that way too, in my KP-94. The only thing that looks a little funny is that the 9mm rnd. rides a tiny bit higher than when compared to a Ruger preban 9mm mag(got a few of those, heh heh). While they do work as from the factory, the over-all reliability hasn't been completely "play tested", if you follow. A slight adjustment of the feed lips on the .40 S&W mag(of either manuf.) may be required to assure their complete reliability in a 9mm usage.

Eric, if you remember, wasn't there a post on a similar topic over on CZ Forum a little while back. Perhaps on the CZ40B posts?

Wish I still had one of my spare PT940 mags, I'd give it a test. Should work on pure frame-to-mag fit though, as I believe the PT911 thru the PT957 all use the same basic mag body, just two different followers(I'm not sure on the follower issue though).

Eric Larsen

PT 911 Hi Cap situation.....the PT 940/911 mags of old (I dont know when they switched) had the same lip configuration, width etc, with the difference being the "dimpled/pushed in" sides to prevent the follower from going all of the way down to the bottom and giving you full capacity...a built in "stop" as it were. The PT 940 mags had straight sides and do indeed hole 14-15rnds and work as flawlessly as I can ask for....good enough to carry them. But the newer PT940 mags do have a wider lip spacing..the 9mm's are just a tad loose in them and require a gentle tweak to the lips to mimic the 9mms spacing.....

Followers, springs and plates are identical.

Now for the part I cant figure out...the older 40 mags drop free from the PT911 just like the 9mm mags do..but the wider lip mags....go in just perfectly and the last 1/4" or so...RESIST alot more than should..they click in and fit...function perfectly until time to take them out...you literally need to pry the out of the mag well.....I cant find where they are binding up...the measure identical with calipers....within .002"....go figure.

If you can find the older "same lip width as the 9mm" mags...they are way way way solid..the newer ones are really pissing me off.

Shoot well

nvrquit

Have you tried this?

Eric,

Have you tried removing the PT911's slide, as in field stripping, and then attempt to seat the "new" style wide feed lip PT940 mag? Both mag empty and full?

If so and the resistance is not present, then look to something in the way the upper mag body is designed in the "new" PT940. It may be something very subtle in the profile/dimensions. The fact that the 9mm rnds. are a little loose in the "new" style PT940 mags allowing the 9mm rnds. to sit higher in the lips and exerting greater pressure on the bottom of the slide. Still, that wouldn't explain why when empty, the mag does not drop free. Unless the mag body is being temporarily deformed in some way by the number of rounds and then not relaxing after being seated firmly in the PT911 that last 1/4". Have you tried this using the "new" PT940 mag with only 13 rnds. loaded in the mag?

Eric Larsen

This thread just solved my problem...I had gotten an aftermarket safety/decocker spring..that is under the left side grip that protrudes through the frame a tad...it was long and was catching on the mags. I dremelled it down and the PT940's work perfectly.
The capacity of 14 rnds in them vs 10 of the 40 shouldnt change things...the gun/mag wont know the difference.

They will work.....Shoot well

Last edited:

Kevinch

As to the question on the PT911:

I have a PT940 & it is one excellant pistol. The high $200 range seems maybe fair, but not a killer deal.

If you like the gun (& it is in the condition you state), buy it - your not getting ripped off.

But - I'd still try getting some $$ chiseled off the asking price.