Irrational Love: Beretta 92 FS Compact

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I was making my weekly trip to the lgs to gaze at things I don't have money for. On the trip I saw something relatively new to me. A Beretta 92 FS Compact with the Inox finish. Oh dear it is a pretty gun. I've never owned anything part of the Beretta 92 line. It's a chunky pistol, but feels surprisingly good in the hand. I have absolutely no need whatsoever for this pistol. But I can't stop thinking about it. It would help me get the Beretta 92 bug out of me. The size seems nice. It's noticeably think, but short enough to get a full grip but not be printing terribly. The trigger was surprising. The DA is very long, but smooth. The SA was very crisp with a very surprisingly short reset.

I had a few questions:

1. Does anyone own one and how do you like it?

2. In pulling the trigger it almost felt like there was a half cock position. Is this true?

3. Is it possible to convert a Beretta 92 to decock only?

Thanks,
-TR

I have one at the shop actually. It's under consignment. I messed around with it today for a couple minutes when I was showing it to someone. Not a bad little gun. If you want to buy it, we're selling it for $619 with three Beretta standard mags and 1 Beretta extended mag. Box and case as well.

Let me know. :)

DubC-Hicks

I own the full size M9 and love it. Yes, there is a half cock. As to converting it to decocker only, I've heard talk about it, but can't say for certain. If I remember right, you can't. At least not easily.

Dragline45

2. In pulling the trigger it almost felt like there was a half cock position. Is this true?

Yes there is a half cock position. Some people choose to leave it at half cock, but I really don't find much difference in the trigger pull doing so. Just FYI, it's not advisable to decock from the half cock position as it can cause damage. Instead, cock the hammer back fully, and then decock.

Sadly no. I wish they did as I never use the safety on the gun anyway.

As I tell all Beretta 92 owners, if you do bite the bullet and buy it, get a Beretta D hammer spring right away. Lightens up the DA pull tremendously and makes a world of a difference.

wwwprof

Of all my Berettas, I probably shoot the Compact best. Good balance and feel (though I prefer heavier guns). Backstrap is not very aggressive.

Beretta_92FS_Compact_INOX_1024.jpg

As with all the 92 variants you'll probably shoot it better if you put in a 'D' mainspring to lighten the trigger pull. I prefer the Beretta marked Farrar Prestige grips. They are not manufactured any more, but if you keep an eye out on GB or EB you'll eventually find some.

Pilot

I've got a full size 92FS, and the new 92FS/M9A1 compact. I installed D springs, and Elite II hammers in both like the one shown above. My grips remain stock however. The "compact" is somewhat of a misnomer. While, a bit smaller than the full size guns, they are still rather large. Not that this is a bad thing, as they are easy to shoot well.

Uncle Malice

Never been a Beretta fan. One of my friends had one for years. I shot it a good bit and handled it often - he always had me do the detail cleanings. I can't stand the slide mounted levers.

I don't think it's a bad gun, they just don't work for me at all.

If one is totally in love with the Beretta action design, then the compact makes sense. However, it just isn't THAT compact. When compared to a S&W 3913, Walther P5C, or Walther PPS, even the single stack 92FSC-M is larger than the others. The double stack 92FSC-L is even more bulky, and heavier. I had the 8 shot "M" version, and it was well made, but I never carried it as so many other "compacts" were more compact. I do really like the full size 92FS (and I don't like the safety, but it is what it is), but it performs its job so well, I find myself bringing it to the range a lot.

Last edited:

Bart Noir

My old 92F Compact fits my hand so well I almost say "ahhh" as I grip it. It is just right.

It is more accurate that I can ever be, is a soft shooter, and is a keeper. I will keep it even if I sell off the very old 92F police pistol.

I never use the levers for more than a decocker so it is not important that they are on the slide. My only gripe is that aftermarket grips are harder to find for the compact model.

Bart Noir

Coach Z

I had an older 92 compact that I sold to get one of the new A1 compacts before CT went and changed the rules and now they can't be had in my state. grrrrrr.

As for decocker only it is called a 92G and you absolutely can convert the full size 92's and I'm pretty sure that you can on the compacts but head over to berettaforum.net and they can give you the skinny.

I love all my beretta , I'm down to three 92's. a 92 inbox, an m9a1 and a 92A1 that I souped the internals a bit, changed to all metal parts and then sent to robar for np3+ coating. I can heartily agree that when I pick up my beretta I just smile at how they feel

5whiskey

Irrational Love: Beretta 92 FS Compact

What's irrational about that? Although I don't currently own one, I happen to be a big fan of Beretta 92's and 96's. Very nice firearms. wwwprof... I'm in lust with your pistol there, pal.

SHE3PDOG

I have also been eyeing my first Beretta. I've shot the 92FS compact and the full sized at my local range, and I've been leaning towards getting the full sized one. I'd never carry it though, and I'm not getting it for looks. If I were, I'd certainly consider getting the compact, but as it stands, I have those roles filled with other guns.

B.O.F.H.

I edc a Beretta 92a1 and love it. There is a company that converts the Fs to Gs but it requires adding material to the slide. Not a project for the home gun smith. I've learned to use the standard safety levers, but I have long thumbs. If you can't reach them, I'd pass.

Don P

I had a few questions:

1- I have a full size and its a joy to shoot

2- Yes and No half cock will drop and possibly fire the gun.

3- Slide can be converted and will cost $180-$200

The long trigger pull is because of the double action and cannot be shortened or eliminated. I would not advise the half cock position.

TailGator

Beautiful pistol both aesthetically and functionally. Go ahead and get it or it will bug you forever. Love my 92FS Inox.

shaunpain

I've shot a couple of Berettas in my day and they were all very well built and far more accurate than I could shoot them. While rather large, they are great duty guns for anyone with big enough paws and holding it with two hands. Like everyone else has said, I don't believe there is a way to modify the safety to a decocker, but I wouldn't recommend doing that anyway. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'd use the safety at all on any DA/SA gun.

There is a solution. I used to own an Italian built Beretta Cougar 8040G (not one of those Turkish Stoegers, which I hear are just as good anyway) and it was the only variant that had a decocker-only feature, which is something I loved. They aren't too easy to find these days, but if you take your time and do your research I'm sure you can track one down for a good price. I think I paid $300 or so for mine about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd go as high as $500 now. I don't know of any other gun by Beretta with a decocker only, but then again I'm not really that big into Berettas to begin with. They are excellent guns, however, I'm just into Hi Powers and 1911s!!

kcub

I had an Italian one sadly my ex wound up with it. I'll probably replace it someday. I much prefer it's look and feel to the fullsize 92. Mine was 100% reliable.

2. In pulling the trigger it almost felt like there was a half cock position. Is this true? Yes, I wouldn't trust it.

3. Is it possible to convert a Beretta 92 to decock only
No idea. Personally I prefer it the way it is.