Iron Sights vs Scope

Photon Guy

Some rifles do not have iron sights and instead use a scope for aiming. Im trying to think of situations where one might be better than the other. I would think if you need to get off quick shots and particularly quick follow up shots iron sights are better since you can aim much faster with them. If you're shooting from really long range and you have more time to take a shot and you aren't as concerned with fast follow up shots a scope would be better since they're more accurate particularly at long range and that's why sniper rifles generally have scopes instead of iron sights. For a hunting rifle I suppose it would depend on what you're hunting. For dangerous game that is likely to attack I would want to get off quick shots and quick follow up shots so I would go with the iron sights in that case.

jmr40

It really depends on the scope. If you use something low powered such as a 1-4X20 scope set on 1X it is much faster to get on target than irons for fast repeat shots. Even a scope with 2X or even 3X on the low end is just as fast as irons up close once mastered. It is only when you get into much more magnification that it becomes an issue.

Iron sights require the eye to line up 3 objects that are 3 different distances from the eye. That is impossible and at at any time 2 will be out of focus. A scope puts everything in the same plane and everything in focus.

Scopes also make it far easier to see both the target and sights in poor light. You can make shots very early or very late in the day with a scope that would be impossible with irons.

Years ago scopes were viewed as less rugged and durable. That is no longer the case. I've had more iron sights fail than scopes, of course you can't make that claim with cheap scopes.

The Army no longer teaches recruits to use iron sights. They use optics for all rifles now and find them to work better at all ranges. I've found the same to be true on my hunting rifles.

603Country

many years ago, my Dad outfitted himself and my brother and me with Marlin 336's. I elected to go with iron sights. Dad and the brother went with fixed 4 power scopes. My brother and I hunted as a team, and he was always able to see deer in dim light when I couldn't. He and Dad shot deer after deer and I was struggling to keep up. Finally I gave up, took my lawn mowing money and bought a fixed 4 Weaver. Wow, what a difference. I've been a scope man ever since, except when the USMC made me shoot with iron sights. Luckily, my Grandfather had been a rifle and machine gun instructor during WWI and he had already shown me how to properly shoot with iron sights.

I summary, I was hot stuff with iron sights in good light, but when the light got dim (when the big buck shows up) I was pretty much out of action.

Photon Guy

Iron sights require the eye to line up 3 objects that are 3 different distances from the eye. That is impossible and at at any time 2 will be out of focus. A scope puts everything in the same plane and everything in focus.
With iron sights, I've been taught to focus on the front sight so that the target and rear sight is out of focus. The key is to focus on the front sight and to apply the other two principals, sight alignment and trigger control and that's how you hit the target.

I've never shot with a scope or taken instruction on shooting with a scope but I would like to do it sometime. Is there any advantages iron sights have over scopes?

taylorce1

jmr40 said:
The Army no longer teaches recruits to use iron sights. They use optics for all rifles now and find them to work better at all ranges.

Not true the Army still teaches recruits to use sights, but the use of optics is now integrated into basic training. Outside of basic most units still require you to qualify with iron sights, before qualifying with optics.

Blindstitch

Iron sights are a good skill to have but a scope will make you a better shooter because you will see exactly what you're looking at instead of what's larger than the front sight blade.

darkgael

Irons

I've had more iron sights fail than scopes

OK.....I am trying to wrap my mind around that. I do not disbelieve you but cannot imagine iron sights failing. Maybe limited imagination on my part.
Can you (will you) take a moment to explain?

Any advantages to iron sights.....well, I was going to say dependability.
Pete

Mobuck

"OK.....I am trying to wrap my mind around that. I do not disbelieve you but cannot imagine iron sights failing. Maybe limited imagination on my part.
Can you (will you) take a moment to explain?"
Over the years I've seen at least as many broken/bent front sight posts or missing,bent,broken rear sights as I have seen decent(by decent, I mean name brand mid-grade or better) quality scopes fail.
I've used open sights all my life and was competitive with a non-optic rifle on a military rifle team. There's no comparison between open sights and a good scope for hunting-even dangerous game.
The secret is learning to mount the rifle and see the reticle w/o head bobbing or rubber necking. I've used scoped rifles to shoot jumped deer at mere feet of distance and see almost no reasons for NOT using a scope. The obvious flaw is when using the scoped rifle at a few feet on tiny targets, there's the scope above bore issue to compensate for.

darkgael

ok

Over the years I've seen at least as many broken/bent front sight posts or missing,bent,broken rear sights as

OK...Those things can happen, certainly. I have no personal experience with those problems but am limited to my own firearms and haven't had those things happen.
Thanks for your reply.
Pete

Brit

My Steyr AUG (An old one!) has a 1.5 scope that doubles as a carry handle?

The ability to see objects in poor light, is amazing. The speed to align, both eyes open, beats any iron sights I have ever used. As this is the only scoped rifle I have, I would go with scopes being better.

eastbank

my favorite scopes for hunting are 2x7 leupolds mounted low over bore, with power set on 2x for 90 % of my hunting. but having the option to turn up the power if needed at a longer standing shot. i shoot large bore matches with tang sights and for s*its and giggles i shot the same match course with my new winchester high wall short hunter in 45-70 with the same shells i use in matches useing a older 3x leupold and i bettered my tang sight scores by alot, we shoot to 600 yrds at very large targets. eastbank.

Photon Guy

So for the 5.56 caliber rifles on the AR platform they make the Oracle which is designed for scopes and as such does not have open sights. Do they make 7.62 caliber rifles on the AK platform that are designed for scopes? That might be the next rifle on my list of rifles to get.

kraigwy

I like scopes for precision long range shooting. I like irons for know distance shooting as in High Power.

I found the fastest for me is the post on the front, peep in the rear.

When I was shooting for the Guard we used both in 1000 yard matches. I had (still do) a Model 70 300 WM for 1000 yard matches. Used it in Any Rifle-Any Sight matches with a Weaver T-10. For the Any Rifle-Iron Sights, I used the same Rifle with Olympic Palma Sights.

My scores were higher with the Olympic peep sights (front and rear) then the scope.

But, I've shot my best 1000 yard scores with the M14.

Having said that, its easier to cross fire with the iron sighted rifle.

T. O'Heir

"...iron sights are better since you can aim much faster..." You can't, actually. Iron sights require your eye to try and focus on more than one thing(3 with the cheap irons found on most hunting rifles. Two, with proper peep sights.) at a time. An optical sight allows you to see the target better and eliminates the focusing issue.
Scoping a rifle does not, ever, improve the accuracy of any rifle that doesn't shoot well with irons in the first place. Scopes allow the shooter to see the target better, thus allowing more precise shot placement and nothing else. That's why sniper rifles have scopes.
"...Some rifles do not have iron sights and..." Applies primarily to commercial hunting rifles. Costs money to put iron sights on a rifle that 99.99% of users will put a scope on. Some rifles don't take scopes well and some, scoping, is a huge waste of money though. FAL's, for example, don't take scope easily and any Carbine. Really do not understand wanting a scope on an SKS or M1 Carbine. Except for the crappy sights on an SKS(And an AK.), carbines work better with irons. But it's not about speed. It's about the balance.
"...precision long range shooting..." Is also done with irons.

eastbank

long range shooting with irons requires large targets with big bullseyes. the people shooting irons at 1000yrds use a very large target, with a long range scoped rifle you can use and see targets 1/3-1/4 the size of the iron targets. i watched long range scoped rifle shooters at 1000yrds shoot at and hit a hanging 20" steel gong time after time. they are two different games shooting irons and scopes. eastbank.

Gunplummer

The only real advantage I can think of that the iron sight has is in bad weather. If you are in rain or a wet snow and can't keep the scope clean, a scope can be miserable. Once you learn how to HUNT with a scope, you will love it. There is a big difference between learning how to use a scope and learning how to hunt with one.

Doyle

My favorite hunting rifle has iron sights in addition to a scope. I mounted the scope on Leupold QD rings. The irons were sighted in at 50 yds, then I put the scope on and sighted it in. I know that removing the scope with QD rings and putting them back on again will likely change the POI, but that isn't why I got them. I've never had a need to remove the scope and I won't unless I REALLY need to.

The situation where I consider myself needing to would be where I am hunting away from home (i.e. where grabbing a different rifle wouldn't be an option) and the scope gets damaged or compromised (compromised as in it takes a hard fall and can't be trusted without verifying zero at the range). I can remove the scope, pop it into my backpack, and continue the hunt (although at a much reduced range).

Picher

It's been proven that scopes are faster than iron sights and that they are much more precise, but in dim light and in the woods, scopes can make the difference, especially if you must tell it's a buck.

I'm much more used to scopes, having shot for many years and had to use a transit to find survey rods and plumb bobs with a 30X surveyor's transit, often in the woods.

Having had considerable experience, I prefer 3-9X variable Leupold VX-2 scopes for both clarity and light-gathering. IMHO, when they aren't bright enough, it's time to get out of the woods!

I keep the scope turned down to 3X while moving, but turn it up when in my blind. Any lower power is much better than irons, but it's really great to turn up the power to spot antlers and see branches in the woods.