Iron sights on an Enfield with a sporter stock?

ADB

I have an Ishapore 2A1, which is basically an Enfield SMLE Mark 3 in .308. Right now, it's got the conventional stock with the full length wood and steel nosecap. Problem is, it's heavier than hell. I've been thinking about getting an ATI synthetic sporter stock for it to reduce the weight, being able to shed all that wood and most of the steel. However, the front nosecap also represents half of the iron sight setup. Soes anyone know if there's a way to retain iron sights as a backup while still ditching the surplus weight?

Are you intending to keep the full 25 inches of barrel or cut it down to something a bit more proportional?

Something that has worked for a lot of people is making a pseudo-scout from a 2A1; ATI Stock and an XSSightsystems scout-scope mount do wonders, especially when paired with a Mini-red-dot.

ADB

I was planning on leaving the barrel as-is. I want to be able to keep all the original furniture so that I can restore it to original condition in the future if the mood takes me, or if I decide to change it from a "use" gun to a wall hanger.

I've actually got a scope mount--a screw-on Catco mount that clamps onto the charger bridge. But I was hoping to be able to retain iron sights somehow. Either that or I just need to get a better scope and fine tune it some more.

Tidewater_Kid

The front nose cap only protects the front sight. Remove it and your will see that the sight is mounted on the barrel. I would keep it as it left the factory, but I'm just that way.

TK