Iron sights for 10/22

Alfadog

I want to add a high-visibility post style front sight and a ghost ring rear sight to my Ruger 10/22. What I really want is the Ashley Ghost Ring sight set, but that is $90, which is more than I want to put into the rifle.

Exploring lower-cost options in the Brownells catalog reveals a "Zepher Aperture Sight System" for the 10/22 that costs about $36. It has a nice looking receiver sight with protective ears. Has anyone tried this setup? The aperture is listed as only 0.054" diameter, which is much smaller than what I want. Does the sight have an aperture insert that can be removed to convert it into a ghost ring, as is commonly done on some other types of receiver sights?

Another option I am considering is a Williams Guide Receiver Sight ($31) with an Ashley front post ($30). I am pretty sure that the aperture insert can be removed from the WGRS leaving a ghost ring. Correct? Anybody tried this combination on a 10/22? If so, were you happy with the Williams sight? What height front sight did you use?

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Bill Hebert

I've had several interactions with the Williams people and they are the greatest. I picked up my mini 14 from the gunsmith Friday. It needed two holes drilled in the stainless receiver. Williams makes numerous "drop-in" sights but I don't know if the 10/22 is one of them. Anyway, when I started looking at the sight there was 1/8" slop in the upper sight. No problem - Williams makes an eccentric screw and the slop is gone. Doesn't say much for the smithy who turned out the slop. Thw Williams sight is 100% better than the junk Ruger supplies as a "sight". Good luck.