Iron Sights: 6 o'clock or Point of Aim?

6 o'clock or Point of Aim?

• 6 o'clock

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Point of Aim

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Willie D

Is this just a personal preference thing or is there a "correct" method for different rifles? Or is one way better for pistols and one for rifles?

I have a .22 with fixed sights that is only accurate up to 50yds that shoots 6 o'clock but everything else I own in bigger calibers is set for POA at 100yrds. I have trouble seeing/guessing where 6 o'clock is at that range so aiming at the dead center of the bullseye is easier for me.

Every BB gun I ever shot was POA so I grew up used to aiming that way.

Last edited:

Charles S

I have trouble seeing/guessing where 6 o'clock is at that range so aiming at the dead center of the bullseye is easier for me.

I agree, but my primary use is not paper punching it is hunting and I hate obscuring my target so with my open sights I sight to hit 1 to 2 inches high (depending upon caliber) at 100 yards (a six o'clock hold) so I can still see my target and with rifle calibers I get the benifit of a longer maximum point blank range.

Hafoc

Yeah, there's a right way to do it. And the right way is whatever lets you personally hit the target. In the end, nothing else matters.

It probably depends on the type of sight too. I can see how a six o'clock might work better with standard open sights, since it would give you a better view of the target. But I've never been able to make myself shoot peep sights except to point of aim. If I remember the manuals that came with the peep sights, they also suggested point of aim. If that's worth anything.

KDM

I'll hold 6 o'clock. Don't like to block the target. I've gotten so used to this method nothing else works for me, which can be problematic at times. Case in point would be my Enfield, with its eared front/peep rear sights. Not having a "clear" base against which to reference the front post throws me off.

Picher

When I shoot targets with a front post and either open or aperture rear, I always AIM at 6 o'clock on the bull. With my field rifles, I zero to have the bullet strike at the top of the post at the most common pest control ranges, say 50 feet. At 50 yards, the standard velocity bullet from a receiver-sighted rifle will then strike about 1 1/4" high.

For target shooting, the 6 o'clock hold works best as long as the target size and the range are constants.

Picher

MTMilitiaman

I've tried the 6 o' clock hold, but always wondered why I hit high in the field. Rather obviously, I instinctively use point of aim when I am in the field. It just makes sense to me. So I use point of aim at the range now as well.

Six o' clock is just unnatural to me.

Scorch

6 o'clock for target work, point of aim for field work. The idea is that a black bullseye sitting on top of the sight is easier to see than black sight against black bullseye. For me, makes no difference. Choose what you are comfortable with.

Slamfire

Center, center, center

I am a highly dedicated paper puncher. And I am going to tell you it all depends on your eyes and the target.

Folks who shoot the 6 OC position in high power rifle generally use a thin front sight. The sight picture looks like a popsicle. I used to use the 60c sight picture standing even though I used a wide post. You can train your brain to pull the trigger just when the post touches the bottom of the bull.

With a 6 OC hold, you have to remember, did I put the target in the middle of the aperture, or did I put the post in the middle of the aperture? You will see some horrible vertical stringing when people forget. With a center hold, every thing is center, center, center.

Folks who use the center hold or flat tire hold use a wide post. Something that sticks out of the target. I use this hold from 200 yards to 600 yards. I like it as I just push the sight up until the target seems to be getting smaller. I also like it as I don’t get my sight picture confused. Center, center, center. Everything in the middle. Can’t forget.

I was squadded once with the Marine High Woman shooter at Camp Perry. Nice little girl. She used a standard service post. It covered the whole target frame. She just centered the bull on top, pushed it up, and stopped when it looked like it was in the center of the frames on the left and right! Worked for her.

The NRA pistol target bull is so large that you can only use 6 OC. Otherwise your post disappears in the black. I figure that target was developed when revolvers had real thin front sights. Like Colt New service or colt single action army pistols. Bullseye pistol has not changed much in the last 10,000 years.

Now, if I was going after Deer or something, I would use a 6 OC hold. When you have an indistinct background, it is probably better to have your point of impact just a little above your aim point.

CGSteve8718

Hi,

I've never tried 6 o clock either, I was taught in the military to have your sights centered vertically and horizontally and then placing them on target, but NOT to focus on the target itself, rather your sights. They told us that our targets should be blurry.

Slamfire

They told us that our targets should be blurry.

If your targets had any intelligence at all, they will be blurry to the point of invisibility. In which case, you simply put a lot of lead on that tree line. And if your rifle is aligned correctly, as they taught you, someone down range is going to have to keep their head down, or risk getting it punctured.

homefires

I guess I'm weird! I put the post at the bottom of point of impact.

My major attention is on the target! Targets move.

Tim Burke

I like a 6 o'clock hold if I'm shooting a bullseye of known dimensions at a known distance. For everything else, I use a center hold.

CGSteve8718

Well slamfire, I was more referring to range time, as in paper targets, but I guess one can apply the same logic to human targets.