IPSC Revolver

AZTrooper

I want to start shooting USPSA matches with a 6 shot wheelgun. I have looked at some .40's that use moon clips. Does anyone else shoot IPSC with a BURT (Big Ugly Round Thing)? What do you use? Also what accessories do you use? Holster, where do you get the clips for it, moon clip holders, etc.? Any help would be appreciated. I have looked at ICORE's site and it's not much help. Thanks.

Alleycat

Oh, yeah, that's about all I shoot. Eight round arryas really suck from boxes, but field courses can be a hoot if you treat 'em right.

email me at twister@snowcrest.net if I get stupid and forget to post more help here when I get home. gotta go back to work!

Steve

WESHOOT2

RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG

I use two 4" GP100's, drawn from an Ernie Hill, loaded by HKS (that's just me) from Safariland 333's.
Load is 357 Magnum/158g.

I also show up occassionally with a 5.5" 41 or 44 Redhawk, drawn from a Sparks HSR, loaded by HKS (just me again) from Safariland metal belt clips.
Ammo for these is 210g LSWC/240g LSWC.

All wear Pachmayr Decelerators and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades (work well in low light; tested at that 'dark' bay at the S&W Academy).

The 44 Redhawk can get hot enough to blister my trigger finger if it's a long fast field course.

----------------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"

banjobart

I used my new S&W 610 4" barrel at a USPSA match last Sunday and had a ball. It is fast and easy to reload with the moonclips. I shot better scores, total points that is, than with my high cap Para or STI. Staging the double action trigger gives accurate results. Of course, my times were double what the pistol would do.

I used cheap 40 S&W brass and the same Major power ammo that get used in the pistols. The moon clips from Brownells were cheaper than .45 clips.

I did install an SDM fiber optic front sight, it just pops in place aftre depressing the spring plunger with a small punch. This makes for a very fast handing , quick pointing gun.

banjobart

I shot the same gun the day before at an IDPA match with excellent results, too. I loaded down some ammo for that event but it did not really help improve the score. The gun weighs 43 ounces and recoil is mild with 165 power factor ammo. I will shoot the regular 165 power factor USPSA ammo next time.

smoney

I use a S&W 610 4" with 40 shorty ammo, my holster is a blade tech, and i use california comp works speed loaders, this is the same as my IDPA rig, just with more ammo on the belt ;-) i would probabally go 45 with a 5" bbl if it wasn't for the IDPA power factor, and bbl restrictions!

DVCBILL

I believe the best gun for IPSC is still the 625. They are the fastest to load with moon clips and RN ammo. Revolver IPSC is mostly a reloading match.Give Jerry Miculek a call at Clarks Custom Guns.He has the new CR Speed holster (just got one myself) and these are very slick and very adjustable.Get about 8 shoot the moon clip holders and you are ready to go.
Bill

AZTrooper

DVCBILL, I'm not familiar with the CR holster; where can I find one and is CR the manufacturer or the model? I wanted to go with a 6 shot because I was told that if you use an 8 shot you can't shoot in revolver class. I also wanted to go with .40 because you can easily make major, use moon clips for faster reloads, and have less recoil than a .45. Any other suggestions?

Alleycat

> Hello, I was wondering what kind of gun you shoot, what holster you use,
> and where the best place to get them would be. I was also told to get a
> six shot because if you use an 8 shot in USPSA now you're not in
> Revolver class. Is that correct? Thanks for any help.
>
Sorry about the delay...

OK, do you get front sight? There were a few revolver articles a couple of months ago that might help. That said...

I use a hogue pwerspeed holster converted for less than 50 cents to take my 625--there's a picture of it in front sight. NOT IDPA legal, but I don't play that game anyway. Legal everywhere else that I'm aware of. I use the old Denny's moon clip carriers, now becoming available several places, including Tom Kilhofer's web site at www.moonclips.com

Eight shots are legal in USPSA/IPSC, but you can only *shoot* six. Eight shots may use all eight shots in production, limited-10, limited, and open divisions, but not revolver. You can only LOAD six in an eight shot at IDPA, which is a big issue, since you've gotta align the cylinder during reloads. ICORE allows all revolvers to compete, alhtough the course design is *supposed* to stay six-round neutral. Still, the eight shot has a tremendous advantage in this game, which assigns additional time for marginal hits on the target--being able to make them up without a reload helps a bunch. The advantage gets bigger on steel stages. USPSA rules require that the .357 eight shots use .357 brass for major, not .38 special, and that slows reloads significantly.

Stay away from any gun with muzzle porting. Any porting/compensation, regardless of source, makes you an open gun in all organizations. Most USPSA clubs I've been to will let ported revolvers shoot in revolver class, but big matches or a change in club administration could make you illegal--as could a protest from another, non-ported revolver shooter.

Speedloaders are a fine solution to reloading--I've seen some VERY fast reloads done with them. Contrary to popular belief, the advantage fo moonclips does not come on the reload--it arrives during the unload, since all the cases are together as a unit, they cannot hang up on those inside chambers near the frame.

Reloads are the name of the game for the USPSA/IPSC revovler shooter. Today's rulebook dictates 8-round arrays, and this is not likely to change. Is it really a problem? Depends on course design. Eight shot arrays from boxes only are no fun, but at least now the field is level and you're only competing against other six-shots and not the eight shots, which would have an insurmountable equipment advantage here. Field courses are another matter entirely. Stop looking at the arrays and look at the course. Can you put "extra" rounds from the early reload that the first eight-round array requires on an array (or two) further along and thus reduce those arrays to six-rounds? Look for unconventional ways to run the course which may allow you to divide six into eight evenly.

Get your cylinder chamfered, no matter what method of reloading you use, and practice, practice, practice some more. Always practice reloads on a shot-to-shot basis, meaning, you "fire" the last shot, do the reload, acquire the next target, and "fire" the next shot. ALWAYS CHECK UMPTEEN TIMES PLUS ONE THAT YOU'RE USING DUMMY OR SNAPCAP AMMUNITION!! I highly recommend loading the revolver with spent brass while practicing the reload, so that you can practice that all-important ejection stroke. Start SLOW--make it perfect--then you can add speed. A really good revolver reload runs two seconds or better, shot-to-shot.

Hope this helps!

Steve

DVCBILL

CR is the make of holster. As far as I know Clark Guns ----http://www.clarkcustomguns.com---- are the sole distributor for the revolver model because of an agreement between Jerry Miculek and the maker.You can see the holster on there site. You only need a 6 shot because that is all you are allowed to shoot before a reload. 8 shots are a major pain to load fast. Probably a second slower if you don't bobble the load.One problem with 40s is a lot of bullets out there are SWC profile or HPs. You want RN bullets to load fast. 45 holes are pretty big holes to hit with a moon full. I don't think recoil is going to be better with a 40 and might be worse. If 40s were the way to go Miculek would be using one.
Bill