Inventory find need ID on a pair of Cartridge Cases

ACESDUGOUT

Howdy Y'all
I found a pair of cartridge cases that have me stumped one looks like a 30-40 Krag (headstamp Peters 30 U. S. G.) that has been stretched and necked down, The other, another 30 that looks like a cut down Krag (REM UMC 30 USA/PETERS 30 USG) but have no clue about that one.
Thanks for the help.
Yours in service
James Acerra

Attachments

• 30USGpeterscasej.jpg
    30USGpeterscasej.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 30usaremumccasej.jpg
    30usaremumccasej.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 80

James K

Member In Memoriam
The colorful font is not really needed to get our attention.

The first case looks like a standard .30-40 Krag commercial case. Both "30 U.S.A. (U.S. Army) and .30 U.S.G. (U.S. Government) have been used on .30-40 cases.

The other is a cut down .30-40 Krag case, possibly for some wildcat or with the idea of making a pistol cartridge. A short Krag case was used in a Navy line-throwing gun, but I don't have any dimensions on it, so I can't say if that is one or not. .30-40 Krag cases have been used as the base for various .44 caliber revolver wildcat cartridges.

Jim

I've never seen a commercially loaded line throwing cartridge for the .30-40, and I don't think any were so loaded, so I doubt if that is it.

Additionally, the primary line throwing gun for the Navy until World War II was a repurposed .45-70 Trapdoor, but with the massive increase in the size of the Navy at that time Krags and M1917 Enfields and 1903 Springfields were adapted, as well.

The one with the Peters headstamp was manufactured pre-1934, and the one with the Rem-UMC is post 1912 and most likely pre World War II.

I'm thinking early production for both as the old names for the .30-40 -- .30 USA and .30 USG really started falling out of use by the 1930s.

Last edited:

gyvel

Although this is a bit of a stretch, the cut down .30-40 almost looks like someone was trying to make a shotshell load for a British No. 1 Mk III .410 guard gun in its original chambering.

F. Guffey

Just guessing but I have cases that look like the short case. All of my cases that took like the short case lost their shoulder and neck above the shoulder/case body juncture. I understand the crimp after seating, a crimp before seating a bullet would complicate bullet seating.

F. Guffey