• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

'invalid redirect' screen after login password

foolzrushn

After I log in, I get a screen that tells me "invalid redirect url". This happens on both my desktop computer (xp with Firefox) and my not so smart LG TV. With the LG TV I can use the back arrow and then I get the Welcome, xxxx screen. With the desktop, if I use the back arrow it takes me back to the inital screen with my user name, ready to enter my password. On the desktop I must select the link for 'the firing line forums' to advance to the Welcome, xxxx screen.

I looked for others with this problem but didn't see any others with a similar problem in support. I would suspect my computer except for the LG TV doing the same thing.

I have a work around, but I thought I should mention this to someone.

Thanks

tyme

Administrator
It's probably because you're logging in over SSL.

vBulletin doesn't comprehend http/https equivalence, almost everyone uses plain http, and vbulletin's concept of its own url is http://sitename. That's why you were getting those errors. (You were logged in, it just wasn't auto-redirecting you.) However, vB has a redirect url whitelist that I've just discovered and fixed up, so you shouldn't get those errors anymore.

(Yes, I know dual ssl/non-ssl is silly from a theoretic perspective, but the reality is there's a lot of embedded content on TFL. Forcing everyone over to SSL will break a lot of embedded images. TFL will have to go SSL-only eventually, but when it does all embedded images to insecure external sites will basically become links, which will confuse a lot of people, which in turn will give staff heartburn.)

The other wonderful things that need doing, but have been put off and put off and put off, are support for ipv6 and migration to phpbb. All these changes will probably be made at the same time, to avoid multiple bouts of confusion, but probably no earlier than late this year.

Last edited:

foolzrushn

invalid redirect screen

Tyme,
What you did to the white list must have done the trick. I logged in from the desktop using the same bookmark as always (didn't change anything) and did not get the redirect. Went straight to the Welcome xxx screen.

As for the cookies I think that they are dumped when I log off unless I am confusing this site and the message that I get on another.

thanks, foolzrushn