Introduction to large caliber handguns

SPEMack618

So, the lady friend over the weekend made mention of how she would like to shoot Pop's Smith and Wesson Model 66, which she refers to as "State Trooper gun". It was said in the midst of other activities and pretty much promptly forgotten by me until just now when she made mention of it again.

Now for a little background, she is quite competent with my Ruger 22/45 and her Taurus purse gun, and she has shot my buddy's wife's Glock 26 a time or two, her only complaint being the grip was a bit small. This is in addition to being well versed in shotgunning and beginning with a Mini-30.

However, I'm a bit afraid when it comes to larger handguns. Pop's Model 66, my Glock 21, my M-1991A1, etc.

Anybody have any experience in this matter>

dyl

I'm uncertain what the dilemma is when you say "I'm a bit afraid".

I assume it's not you who are afraid of large caliber handguns seeing as how you own several.

Are you afraid for your friend's safety? Or are you afraid that shooting large caliber guns will turn her away from shooting in general? Or perhaps afraid that recoil will hurt her?

If it's about safety, I bet you've already gotten a handle on if she conducts herself with the Gun Safety Rules in mind. If she has been safe with small caliber, then she can be safe with the larger ones too. If it's the experience of shooting large caliber you're worried about I would say it's not that much different than some small caliber. The Glock 26 is pretty snappy and she survived. If you decide to let her shoot your father's Model 66, you could start off slow with 38 specials and then give her plenty of warning when you switch to .357 magnum. And when you do, perhaps coaching her a bit to have a proper and firmer grip would prevent a reenactment of the videos we see of boyfriends who set their girlfriends up for accidents. But seeing as how you are concerned, I think you're the kind of guy who doesn't want that to happen. Good luck!

SPEMack618

No, no not the .45-70 Encore.:cool: (BTW What on earth is that? I thought the .45-70 was a legit rifle/carbine cartridge, like old Cavalry cartridge)

Yes, dyl, I'm more afraid of the recoil hurting her than anything. When it comes to gun safety, she's exceedingly well squared away. (Shoot, she yells at me when I leave the Glock laying on the coffee table)

But, she's a little shorter(5'6), smallish hands, and shorter arms. And for the life of me, I can't remember how I got introduced to big bore hand guns. One day all I was shooting was my 22/45, and it seems like the next day that I'm shooting a .454 Casull.

pilpens

My GF shoots my 1911 .45 without issues. When she goes to the range, she would only shoot 1911s until there is no more centerfire ammo. Her favorite is my 1911 9mm, then my 1911 .45.
She has shot .357 with my 5" 686 with no issues but she does not like revolvers.

Just remind her not to let go of the pistol when it goes boom. Shoot a couple of rounds with arms rested and seated if possible. Once familiar with the recoil and the louder noise, she should be fine on her own.

HoraceHogsnort

I think far too many guys think women cannot handle large bore handguns. LOTS of women really like a .45 1911 and shoot them exceedingly well. I think as long as you don't give them a big bore gun with really hot loads in it they'll do just fine. A 45 Colt with light to moderate loads is well within the reach of most women shooters. The sad thing is that lots of butt breaths think its funny to hand a woman a 500 S&W mag. with hot loads. Then, of course, the gal becomes gun shy just because some meathead thought it'd be funny. :rolleyes:

iblong

My gal started with a walther 22 and went to a 38spl then to 9mm.
Two years ago we were shooting in the back yard and she says can I try yor army pistol (1911) I said sure.Gave her brief istructions and and let her go she shot about 50 rounds and said she had enough.
The next time out she shot a 100rnds said she liked it better than her snubbie and said she wanted one.I bought her one for Christmass that year and its still her favorite range gun.She carries a PM9 daily but her favorite to shoot is the 1911 she says she likes the heavy push makes her feel like shes shooting something powerfull.She also likes how it does'nt hurt like her light weight snub.
I say let her try them if she wants.

Kreyzhorse

Yes, dyl, I'm more afraid of the recoil hurting her than anything.

She isn't going to get hurt. If she wants to shoot them, by all means let her. If you don't want her to shoot them, good luck.

jcsturgeon

I think far too many guys think women cannot handle large bore handguns.

Exactly.

Granted, my girl is about 5'7'' 160 lbs and has been around guns her whole life she she shoots my 1911 and Colt .45 just fine. In addition she seems to do okay with .357 as well. There's a little bit of misogyny out there ranging from small (I don't think my wife can handle a gun) to meathead (like those guys on youtube who think it's funny to give his girl a .50 Deagle and watch her hurt herself.)

stu925

The first gun my 5'2" wife shot was a Ruger 10/22, that was followed by my Ruger P90 which she shot very well, better than me I have to admit. She did mention the grip was a bit big for her and I ended up buying her her own handgun a Sig P232 that she picked out. She has also shot my S&W 25-5 .45 Colt but didn't care for the weight of it. Weight was her only complaint about any of my guns, she didn't grow up shooting and in fact had never shot anything before meeting me.

I suspect your girlfriend will probably not have any issues with the model 66, start her with .38 specials if you're concerned. I would say take advantage of the situation, if she says she wants to shoot it, let her. If you baby her about it she may not ask again.

Stu

hornetguy

If she already shoots a taurus "purse gun", I'm assuming a 38 snub? If she is used to that, then by all means let her shoot the Mod 66. .... which, really, is NOT a "large" gun. It's a .357, for cryin out loud.
having said that, there ARE .357's I wouldn't want to just hand to a woman and say "go have fun". :rolleyes: Common sense is called for here... The shorter the barrel, the more muzzle blast (which is usually the biggest problem) and recoil there will be. Don't give her the hot 125gr JHP fireball loads to shoot. Let her shoot some 38+p loads, or some milder .357's and she'll probably surprise you with how good she is with it.
Heck, I had a friend whose wife was about 5'2", maybe 100lbs, and she shot combat competition with a 1911 for several years. He told me he was just a touch faster than her, but she was more accurate.

SPEMack618

Yeah, her "purse gun" (Is that term derogatory?) is one of the Taurus allow frame hammerless .38 SPLs. She keeps it loaded with a Speer "Premium Self-Defense Hollow Point", which to me was just another way for the pawn shops to rack up a twenty five dollar sell.

I'm thinking I either want to start with my 1991A1 or Pop's Model 66. I'm leaning towards the Smith because as previously mentioned I can load it with .38 Spl and ease her into some of the hotter Magnum rounds.

bighead46

Buy some light target wad cutter loads- no recoil. Then offer her wad cutters, 38 Special, or 357 Magnum- whatever she wants.

glenncal1

If she is shooting a snubbie with .38s, shooting the 66 with .38s is a big step down in recoil. Bring the 66 and some .38s, if she is comfortable, let her fire some +Ps and then if she is ok some .357s. Easy progression.

SPEMack618

Thanks to all. I'll book some time at the range where she can shoot from a supported bench and get my "reload guy" to make up some light .357 loads and pick up some .38 Spl practice stuff from the evil pawn shop.

Oddly enough, she has no interest in either my M-1991A1 or Glock 21.

She says the Glock is ugly(which I find hilarious) and the old Colt, she says, and I quote has too many "negative military associations."

dyl

Heard some good advice going around. My wife likes revolvers more and her favorite is a big ol' Model 27-2. Even though it's big bore, with 38 specials it feels like you're shooting 22 mag because of how heavy the revolver is. And 38 special+p : well I don't think we'd even notice except for the added noise. Granted the barrel is a bit longer than the model 66, I suspect the weight of your dad's 66 will make shooting it a sweet experience. And if I remember correctly .357 mag out of the heavy gun wasn't any more of a shock than shooting our small snubbies.

jersey_emt

she has shot my buddy's wife's Glock 26 a time or two, her only complaint being the grip was a bit small. This is in addition to being well versed in shotgunning and beginning with a Mini-30.

However, I'm a bit afraid when it comes to larger handguns. Pop's Model 66, my Glock 21, my M-1991A1, etc.

She'll be fine.

I find that the recoil of the Glock 26 is worse than a full-size 1911. The extremely light weight and tiny grip makes it quite snappy.

She's well-versed shooting 7.62x39mm and shotguns, and you're worried about .45 ACP or .357 Magnum? Neither of these are particularly punishing, especially with full-sized handguns like the ones you mentioned.

Size and sex doesn't really reliably translate to recoil tolerance anyways.

Buzzcook

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

Have your friend read the cornered cat.

Lots of smaller people handle larger guns. Training and practice are much more important than size.

A full sized K-frame in .38 is well within the capability of the vast majority of people. A full sized 1911 in .45 acp is down right comfortable.

There are also light loads for all the major cartridges.

chris in va

My GF really doesn't like my 22lr, much prefers the Glock 21SF. Why?

"Because it shoots a big a** bullet", in her words.:eek::p

As a matter of fact she's pretty much confiscated it for our IDPA matches and wants me to start using the CZ 9mm.