Interstate sale question....

woad_yurt

I live right near my state's border. Can a dealer (with FFL) from right across the border come to me and buy my handgun?

woad_yurt

Thanks everyone! Someone on another forum sent me this and I'm going to go with it:

Originally Posted by BATFE FAQ
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

rkba_net

The above post only applies to UNLICENSED individuals buying a LONG-GUN in another state from an FFL. FFL's CANNOT go to another state and sell ANY type of a firearm EXCEPT during a gunshow. There was a time when OUT OF STATE FFL's couldn't even do that. The out of state FFL would go to a gunshow and have a local FFL handle the transfer!

carguychris

Rkba, the OP is asking about selling a firearm to an out-of-state FFL, not buying one from an FFL. Your post is correct if the unlicensed individual is on the receiving end, but not vice versa.

There is no law prohibiting a FFL from buying a firearm from an out-of-state individual, provided that the FFL is properly licensed to handle that class of firearm (NFA, C&R, etc.) and the transaction isn't otherwise prohibited by state law.