Interstate Concealed Carry permits?

Lee6113

I'm gonna be doing a lot of interstate traveling soon for the holidays and I was wondering how many of you would get the Utah CC permit or other states (if possible)? Typically I don't do a lot of travel out of the state, but I'm thinking about getting one for the occasions when I do.

My difficulty is I don't believe I can get the Utah ccp prior to my travel dates.

For those local to the area, Wades Gun Range in Bellevue doesn't offer the class until December, and it takes about a month they said before I got it.

Back to the topic tho, would you get multiple permits besides your home state? For me the ones I'm considering is the Utah permit and Oregon's permit.

I have home state, Florida, and two others. When I got Florida it was good for something like 32 states, but as more and more states restrict reciprocity to resident permits/licenses only, the number keeps shrinking. Utah seems to be the most widely accepted these days. I think it would be good to have.

Doyle

One of the problems with a non-resident permit is that some states won't recognize them while they would recognize a permit from that state from one of its residents.

There are a very limited number of states that issue non-resident permits. Fl and UT come to mind.

I think you are better off just sticking with your own state's permit and planning your travel accordingly (i.e. carry when the other state recognizes your permit and don't carry when the other state refuses to recognize your permit).

Doyle said:
There are a very limited number of states that issue non-resident permits. Fl and UT come to mind.
Not at all.

Off the top of my head, in addition to FL and UT, I know that WA, AZ, NV, MT, CO, ID, DE, ND, PA, CT, MA, ME, RI, and NH all issue to non-residents. According to www.handgunlaw.us there are currently 30 states that issue to non-residents. And there are some states that unilaterally recognize permits from any state.

The problem is (as noted in both your post and my previous post) that more states are tightening the loop, and granting reciprocity or recognition only to residents of the other states whose licenses/permits they recognize. It really does pay to do your homework, both in making travel plans, and in deciding what licenses to obtain. For example, when I first got FL it was also good for me in PA (to which I travel occasionally). But I'm not a resident of FL, and PA has recently been on a campaign to revise all their reciprocity agreements so they only recognize resident permits. So FL is no longer valid for me in PA, so I also have a PA license.

And so it goes.

FWIW, I prefer www.handgunlaw.us over the concealed carry web site, and Gary Slider, the force behind Handgun Law, is very good about posting in this site to keep us up to date on changes.

Last edited:

adamBomb

This is why we just need a national license. 50 different licenses = 50 times states can try to charge us for the same thing. States rights are awesome sometimes.

Okay Adam. But that would lead to tighter scrutiny by the Feds. on who gets a permit. I might be wrong on this but I think that the States would not like to relinquish their rights on this and neither would the NRA.
Doc

Sharkbite

Doc

Thats not necessarily the case.

A State issued license that is recognized by all states, Just like a drivers license would do the trick.

If a LEO in Kansas can verify a DL of a driver from Calif, while sitting on a side road, over his MDT, then there is no reason it would not work for a CCW permit.

Commit a crime and have your permit revoked? It shows up as such when checked....just like a Drivers license

ETA...The problem is some states have seen a profit center created by charging for non resident permits. I would expect those states to fight against a national reciprocity system. It ALL about the $$$$

adamBomb

The problem is some states have seen a profit center created by charging for non resident permits

yep. 1 ccw for the US would be good.

as far as states rights are concerned - they only care about making money. so instead of dealing with 1 gov (federal) we have to deal with 50 others as well. I run a small business and have to follow federal regulations on my product, which are fine i guess. Then in addition to that I need to follow the laws in each state. Essentially the variations of the same law are being passed 50 different times and each wants to charge me for a permit. This kills small business. You want to know why health care companies have to change plans when they sell across state lines? Because each state wants their share of the pot. the health care companies run into the same issue I do with my business and selling to different states. we spend tax dollars so that lawmakers can pass the same law 50 times and then pay someone a salary so that 50 different gov depts can collect that fee money. Its a total racket. Sorry for the political rant but states rights suck when their goal is to F us all over. And sure sometimes they are good too - it just depends on the issue.

Lee6113

Thanks for the links, guys.

I think a carry permit that was like a driver's license would be a good idea. Would make traveling so much easier, haha. At least traveling with your gun.

While I don't want the feds involved in issuing a national (federal) CCW license, I do favor a federal law that would require all states to honor permits/licenses issued by any other state. IMHO that should already be required by the "full faith and credit" clause in the Constitution -- but it's not.

However, there are some among us who oppose even that, because they fear such a law would inevitable lead to the less restrictive states tightening up their requirements for issue. Personally, while that might happen, it could just as easily go the other way (more pressure on the restrictive states to back off, once they see people from easy states NOT killing bunches of people when they wander outside of their home states), or result in no change whatsoever beyond universal recognition. I don't see how a federal law requiring New York to recognize a Pennsylvania license could result in Pennsylvania having to change the way they issue carry licenses, but maybe someone can explain it to us.

T. O'Heir

"...we just need a national license..." Likely require a Constitutional amendment that would lead to years of tax payer funded court challenges by the assorted leftist State governments.
"...lawmakers can pass the same law 50 times..." And more laws at the municipal level. NYC, for example.
"..."full faith and credit" clause in the Constitution..." Doesn't look to apply, except maybe for section 1. The rest is the one that lets you get away from the Posse by running across the State line.

kilimanjaro

National reciprocity is a concept that will arrive one day, hopefully soon.

The objections posited above seem to be unfounded. The states are free to change or impose any requirements on their own licensing programs any time they want. Recognizing a license issued by another state doesn't alter the states' requirements for its own citizens.

The feds are not going to issue a national CCW permit, the politicians won't allow it, given the tight split in the Senate.

I agree that a Nationally recognized carry permit would make life a lot easier
like a Driver's License does.

However, with this might come a law that all carriers would have to pass a mandatory gun/safety/shooting course(which we do now) and, here's the kicker, you MIGHT have to have insurance like you have to have now to operate and drive a vehicle.

There are a myriad bunch of ways this could go and this is only one PERHAPS in this discussion.
Doc

adamBomb

However, with this might come a law that all carriers would have to pass a mandatory gun/safety/shooting course(which we do now) and, here's the kicker, you MIGHT have to have insurance like you have to have now to operate and drive a vehicle.

I think you just created the next government agency haha - it will cost the tax payers tons of money, line the pockets of a few, and force us to pay more money to own guns:mad:. I come from PA where you just walk into a court house, pay $35, and get your CCW. Now that I live in NC (fortunately my PA license is still valid for a few years) but I am in the process of getting my NC one - $100 for a CCW course that is 8 hrs long then another $100 for the CCW, then a 45-90 day wait period. Fun stuff.

NateKirk

I think requiring people to take a more stringent course in order to have a CPL is a good thing, because judging by the people in the class I took, most CPL holders haven't a clue. People who just buy a gun, having never shot one before, and expect it to do any good as protection are kidding themselves. In my class there were grown men who couldn't figure out how to push a cartridge into the $600 handgun they just bought. I wouldn't trust people who cannot understand how to even operate a firearm to be able to use one safely. We have hunters safety courses; why not a one time mandatory firearm use/safety course? If a national firearm license required more training, then why is that bad?

We have hunters safety courses; why not a one time mandatory firearm use/safety course?
We have to consider how these laws are passed on the federal level. States like New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut will do their best to poison any law that gets proposed. It won't be as simple as a hunter safety course. More likely, it'll be expensive, inconvenient, and ultimately not very good.

jetinteriorguy

Personally I believe the 2nd Amendment already covers concealed carry, our right to keep and BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!! So as far as I understand that keeping anyone from BEARING ARMS however they see fit, be it concealed or open carry, qualifies as an infringement. But that's just me, I take the meaning of words literally for what they truly mean. That being said I'm waiting on my CCW as I write this.

Don P

This is why we just need a national license. 50 different licenses = 50 times states can try to charge us for the same thing. States rights are awesome sometimes
This is the last thing we need. My question to you is do you have 50 drivers licenses, or just one? Our home state CCWP should be honored in all 50 states just as our drivers license is.
Getting the feds involved will only complicate things and are not needed.