Interesting Techniques

scorpion_tyr

Someone I knew made a suggestion about loading a home defense pump action shotgun. His suggestion was to keep an empty shell, or a snap cap in the chamber.

The theory is that you work the pump, chambering a round and ejecting the dummy. The BG will see something fly out and it will temporarily distract him, giving you the upper hand for a second or two.

The round is an empty or a snap cap for those who want to keep a live round out of the chamber until it's needed.

I was just wondering if anyone does this or has heard about it? I'm still debating on if I want to do that or not. Any opinions?

Whiteboy67

Or you could keep a live round in the chamber so if he sees you, you can shoot him and not have to eject an empty shell for no reason. To me, it would seem that nothing good would come out of this :(

colostomyclown

Keeping a live chamber in the barrel could be just as likely to get you or a loved one shot as it is a badguy. If you live alone I guess it could be given a slight pass, but still...I'm fine with keeping the tube full. It only takes a second to work the action and be good to go...and it only takes a second to someday forget there's a live round chambered and completely screw the pooch.

zippy13

There are different schools of thought about the optimum ready condition for your HD shotgun. The problem I see with this method is that you don't have the option of an ejectionless load. Perhaps you may not wish to attempt distracting your opponent(s).

I'm anxious to hear what our resident pump shotgun experts, Moderator Dave McC and my friend Scattergun Bob, may offer on this subject.

Old Guard Dog

Actually, I don't want to distract him. I want to get his attention, and racking the slide to load a shell will definately do that. After that, it's up to him.

Superhouse 15

Snap cap

I doubt anyone would look away from the train tunnel muzzle pointing at their face long enough to care if the chamber was loaded with a snap cap or not.

But whiteboy67 had the best answer.