Interesting optic: Russian scope, German glass?

My thoughts, and I don't know much, so i am mostly looking for what others think about them:
It seems like these are old Russian scopes. Scopes have much better glass today than they did 30 years ago and Soviet technology was never the best back then. It seems like even if these were high quality soviet scopes back in the day they wouldn't be much better than similar priced off brand scopes today.

I need another scope, so I am keeping my eye on this thread.

wogpotter

A lot of folks don't remember the old "Cold War" days, which explains the confusion.

When Germany was split into 2 halves after the 2nd world war some of the Zeiss plants were in the western sector, but some were in the East & so run by the Soviets.

The estern factories became Zeiss (Jena) , & Carl Zeiss (of Zeiss Ikon fame) in the west.
Add a little Soviet capitalism & you have FED (owned & operated by Fedor Illich Dzerjinski, the "father" of the KGB, & the man Dzerjinski square in Moscow is named after) marketing Zeiss (Jena) products thru his own privately-owned optical corporation.

In reality the glass & optics design on these was every bit as good as the Carl Zeiss (west) product, but the mechanics were a bit heavy-handed, Soviet style. Some of the other FED products were cameras, telescopes & microscopes, once thought of as "cheap russian copies" but now becoming collectable in thier own right.

If you do a web search for "Zenith" (pronounced gennitt), Zorki, and FED you'll find a bunch of the background. The Zeiss (Jena) Factories most popular product in the West was the "Praktika" Brand of cameras.

Last edited: