Interesting Black Powder Rifle

Bulldog

A coworker of mine has an interesting black powder percussion rifle that he asked for my assistance with. He was having some trouble finding any replacement nipples for it, so I told him that I'd see if my Dad had any nipples from his "Longrifle Shoppe" days (he owned a muzzleloading supplies store in the '70's and '80's).

My Dad had the nipples, so the rifle is taken care of. But I still can't help thinking about this rifle.

Notice that I said "nipples," as in plural. The rifle has one hammer, one trigger, two barrels, and two ram-rods. The two octaganal barrels are mated one on top of the other (while in the firing position), and the entire barrel assembly simply twists (clockwise or counterclockwise) so that you can utilize both barrels. There is a ball-bearing in the breechface that functions, apparently, to help keep the bbl in position to fire.

The only marking on this gun is the word "Warranted" on the percussion lock plate, and, according to my coworker, it is a .45 caliber rifle.

My Dad immediately recognized the rifle as a kit gun. He mentioned that a lot of folks were building these rifle in his gun-shop days.

Now I have been a firearms aficionado for years... Grew up in a gun store, and a store that was primarily for black powder at that. I've seen black powder firearms from the crudest, home-made variants, to the CVA kits, to the Dixie Gun Works models, to the artistically engraved, hand-made, hand-finished models. But I must ask myself: Why have I never seen one of these guns?

I'm not really looking for any specific information on this sort of rifle, but I was so giddy and excited after seeing this "New-to-me" design, that I am now curious as to the history of this sort of rifle.

------------------
NRA, GOA, TSRA.
www.geocities.com/shootinbulldawg

fal308

Staff Alumnus
These sort of weapons have been around almost since the beginning of the gunpowder weapons period. There are examples from as early as the mid-15th century. There were wheellocks, flintlocks, arbequs <sp>, volley guns, you name it. They were made up until repeating weapons started becoming available.
Their main attribute was a second (or more) shot(s) quickly available.

Paul B.

I can't remember the name, but I believe Numrich sold complete rifles, and kits for the swivel barrel rifles. I think this was in the late 60's and early 70s. Maybe even into the early 80's. Had some kind od name like the "Patriot" or some such. If I come across an ad, I'll let you know.
From GUNS ILLUSTRATED 1972
Challanger Hopkins and Allen O/U rifle $139.00 .45 cal. Features: Brass furniture, Rotating barrels permit firing 2 shots before reloading.
Hope that helped.
Paul B.