Interested in a CZ-97B: Have questions

Which .45?

• CZ-97B

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • Ruger P90

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Nightcrawler

I posted this over at CZForum.com too, but I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking at buying a .45 this summer. The current contenders are the CZ-97B and the Ruger P90.

The CZ-97s look nicer than the Ruger KP90 I currently have it stacked up against, but I do have some concerns.

-Recoil spring. I've heard that the CZ-97 uses the same recoil springs as the 75, and that the stock spring is too light. I'd be intersted in firing plenty of +P ammunition; If doing so will damage the gun, then I don't want the gun, though I can't imagine a 2.5lb steel framed beast like the CZ-97 being "weak". I'd prefer an 18-22# spring in there, if there's one to be had.

-Safety. I'm left handed. As much as I'd like the locked & cocked option, it's useless to me, as I don't think I'll be able to reach the safety switch. (I might be able to reach around with my left thumb, but that leaves you with a very loose grip on the weapon). Any tips from lefties who own this gun? Despite the fact that clones like the Witness have ambi safety options, CZ has no plans to make one. Left handed people aren't just a rumor! Anyway, if I were to carry it, I'd probably carry it hammer down anyway, but still. One of the unique things about the CZs is the Condition 1 carry option.

I'm willing to be talked into the CZ-97, I really am. It's starting at a disadvantage over the Ruger P90, though (and I can only get one of the two anytime soon), in that:

-I KNOW the Ruger can handle +P loads;
-The Ruger has ambi controls;
-The Ruger costs less
-The Ruger is smaller and lighter

I'm willing to look the other way on that, though, if the CZ is really that nice of a pistol. Thanks in advance for any help.

Selfdfenz

Wish I could say I had experience with one but nada.
Have exp with about all the other CZ and they are great.

Try going to a range a renting one.
S-

Shmackey

I've shot Ruger 9mm and .45acp pistols, and I own a CZ 9mm.

The CZs outclass the Rugers in every way. If you're really concerned about "smaller and lighter," then you're looking at the wrong pistols anyway.

Peter M. Eick

Nightcrawler,

So where in "Northern Michigan" do you hail from? My wife and I both went to the "da Tech" in the UP.

Anyway, I got asked the what I thought of the 97b today and here is my response:

It is a great gun.

I have 2 45's one is the 97b for about $550 and the other is a Les Baer Premier II for $1540. The comparison between the two is interesting. The 97b is better polished, weighs more, holds more rounds and has DA capability. The PII is more accurate, fits the hand better, is tighter fit in the slide and barrel and has adjustable sights. Surprisingly the crispness of the triggers is about the same. The takeup on the 97b is noticeable, but once you get the slack out of SA mode it is a clean and the PII. The difference in accuracy is very small. At 15 to 20 yards, the difference is probably about 1" in a 50 shot group. (I only shoot 50 shot groups, 5 shots seems to small to measure accuracy by). The 97b is easier to shoot a lot. Recoil is significantly less because it is heavier. The polish job is the best of any of my guns, it truly glows. The 97b is easier to take down, easier to clean and easier to put together. Reliability is identical, ie: 100% with reasonable reloads.

So what don't I like. Well the mags are hard to find, took my dealer about 4 weeks to get 5 more of them. I like 7 mags for guns I shoot. I do not like the fixed sights, and I have not found any good replacement adjustable. Also the polish is so nice that I have to be very careful not to scratch it. In retrospect, a parkarized 97b would be great.

Other than that, no real difference.

Nightcrawler

For some reason, the safety is what bugs me about the CZ-97B. It's not that I'm bothered by either manual decocking or carrying hammer down without a safety. It's just that the option for Condition 1 carry is there but unusable to me.

On the other hand, with its size and bulk, I don't think I'd be carrying the CZ-97 much anyway.

I've done some research, and would probably replace the weak 14# factory spring with one of the 18# or heavier springs from Wolff, just so the +P loads won't beat it up too much.

THe magazines can be had from CDNN. THe CZ-97, according to everyone at the CZ Forums, takes the same magazines as the EAA Witness .45 full size. You can find them HERE. The Factory mags cost $21.99, the Mec-Gars cost $17.65.

Maybe I'll get one after all. Hrmm....for range use the safety would be adequate. I mean, when you're plinking, your life or death doesn't depend on being able to disable the safety in a split second...

Oh, I'm currently going to Northern MI University, in Marquette. Moved to Calumet when I was six, lived there my whole life. :)

Peter M. Eick

We both spent 4/5 years at Tech and were dorm rats the whole time. Spent a lot of time up Calumet way screwing off like most Techies did. I guess that was about 15 to 20 years ago now.... Sure was fun..

Yes, I am running Mecgar mags for the EAA in my 97b, but they are sometimes hard to find. I am also running an 18lb spring from Wolff with no problems. You will find if you reload that the 97b does not like long loaded rounds. Consider 1.272 max COL for 230 grn Hardball. I only shoot 230 hardball (Rem or Berry with bullseye) and I long load for best feeding. I made a whole batch of 1.275 col rounds (sammi max col) and it would not take them. I shot them all in my Baer though.

I would not worry about +p in my gun, but I am willing to take a calculated risk. Obviously CZ is not going to say the same thing. It is a judgement call.

On the left handed safety, I understand that you can put an eaa large frame left handed safety on the 97b with a bit of work. I did not really follow it, but it is on the cz board somewhere.

Good luck and enjoy the UP. We miss it a lot when it turns into "Xell" in Houston (commonly called summer in the rest of the country).

Eric Larsen

I really cant say anything bad about either gun and I really cant say anything really outstanding about the Ruger (Sorry Ruger fans). Thats where the difference lies. The Ruger doesnt really do anything wrong...but the CZ has all of the same great traits everyone wants in a gun...dependability, accuracy, trigger, sights bla bla bla...on top of that it is gorgeous, unique and it has Character.
The +p issue is easily handled by a Wolff recoil spring. The 13# OEM spring just doesnt like +p ammo. This is from CZUSA...its the recoil spring...only.
The safety is an issue if you are a south paw and carried Cond 1. If not doing so, it becomes less of one. I carried all of my CZ's hammer down. I dont think I used the safety once in a carry or shooting scenario.
Im not trying to talk you into it...I SWARE :D But given the question and the basis for the thread...I would go with the 97.

Shoot well

Nightcrawler

I've heard that the 97 dislikes long loads.

I don't yet reload, so my primary practice rounds would be stuff like UMC, Fiocci, S&B, and American Eagle FMJ. Defense loads would be Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, or some other 230grn +P load, most likely.

Would these work? I'm...shy...about getting a pistol that chokes on factory ammo....I don't think the CZ would, though, otherwise it wouldn't have the reputation for reliablility it's developed already...

Peter M. Eick

If you are worried about if the 97b will feed the ammo, measure the COL (overall length). If it is less the 1.272 it will probably work. The next test is load it in a 97b magazine. If it goes in with no problems, it will work.

The problem comes in when you are at the ragged edges. The 97b mag will just not reliably accept 1.275 COL FMJ rounds.

I have never found a single round of factory ammo that will not work in my 97b. Only MY long loaded reloads. I take full credit/fault for this issue.

Foxy

My CZ-lover friend uses nothing but S&B in all of his CZ's, and they generally work ok. S&B, according to him, is what the CZ factory uses when testing the guns at the factory.

I can't recall if it was the 97 or the 75PCR that has a 'floppy' recoil spring - one of the two has a very short recoil guide, and the spring kind of hangs down from the barrel. I remember that greatly irking my friend. The thing worked, but not elegantly, I suppose.

oops

Nightcrawler,

I've rented the 97b and enjoyed it. Pretty accurate and it has good balance in the hand.

I love the Calumet Fire House Museum.

Peter M. Eick

I have been trying to remember the little bar outside Kearsarge (I have forgotten the spelling) that we used to play summer softball for.... I still have the CLK softball cap from that summer.

Calumet was a great place to grab a beer on the way out of the field when we had been up rock-hounding. What a nice town with friendly poeple.

I guess once you get that Techie (MTU) spirit into a soul it never leaves.

Good luck on the 97b. I consider it a great gun and really like mine.