Interested in .308

Harry Callahan

My first post in the rifle area. I am looking for a decent value in a .308 rifle. I have checked Browning, Savage and a couple of others. Savage has a "package" rifle in which the rifle comes with a scope. Seems like decent prices but I'm not real familiar with rifles at this point. Brownings are nice but seem overpriced. I am looking at either bolt action or possibly semi auto and I'm absolutely lost. I like natural wood stocks and blued barrel. Seems like the .308 is ballistically close to 30.06 without as much kick. Any suggestions?

onemsumba

you'll do fine with either.

the browning will have better fit and finish. You won't get that nice of a stock or scope on the Savage package deal.

Harry Callahan

Any makes I should stay away from and why? Also what are the pros and cons concerning bolt action vs. semi auto? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a relative newb when it comes to rifles and like my high school math teacher used to say "the only bad question is one that's never asked".

swampdog

What do you plan on using it for? Hunting, target, SD, all of the above?
Excellent choice of caliber, btw, it's very versatile.

jhgreasemonkey

I can vouch that the savage is a great rifle and value. I bought a 30-06 rifle/scope combo and am still using the cheepo simmons scope with great results. The rifle is acurate as heck and the trigger is awsome. accu trigger. I love it.

Harry Callahan

I don't hunt but I love to target shoot, plink, etc. I know you're asking yourself "then what the heck does he want with a deer rifle"? You may have a valid point, also. I just remember shooting my grandfather's when I was a kid and have wanted one ever since. Is .308 ammo pretty reasonable?

jhgreasemonkey

.308 ammo is very reasonable. You picked the right caliber for high power rifle frequent shooting because a lot of inexpensive mil surplus is available. And a ton of versitility for reloading.

tINY

The Remington model seven CDL is pretty sexy.

Of course, the Savage 14G American will probably outshoot it by a bit.

-tINY

BusGunner007

A true story:

When I wanted a centerfire rifle, I was confused to DEATH by 'experts' that I worked with.:rolleyes:
I had read an article in Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement about the Savage 110 in .308 with a Weaver 4-16x40 scope in Weaver mounts.
It was going to be my FIRST REAL RIFLE and just looked to be what I wanted!
Price was good; gun was accurate; and I'd be shooting it SOON.:D

Oh, but it was not to be! :mad:

It would be TWO YEARS down the road until my Wife said, "JUST GET A DAMN RIFLE!" :eek:

I had listened to all these guys at work and in the gunshops and sent for catalogs and read magazines ( it was before I got a computer ) and I was entirely confused about Controlled Round Feed vs. Push Feed and 2 vs. 3 position safeties and anything else I could find to muddle my mind...!

I ended up at Big5 one day on a layover ( I'm a Bus Driver ;) ) and I picked up a 1989 Remington 700 'AS' ( the year was 1997 ) in 7mm Rem.Mag. and I was HOOKED. That gun felt like it belonged to ME.
I even knew by then how to remove the bolt, etc. and I bought that gun right then and there.

NOW, the Moral of this story is this:
Just get a damn rifle.
I would've been shooting a LOT sooner had I just gotten that Savage 110...!
I 'might' have kept it or traded to a Remington or something different at a later date...who knows?

My opinion is that you should get the Savage package gun ( or one like I was looking at in the first place --- more for target shooting and learning about rifles ).
You'll have a good rifle for less money in short order and be OUT SHOOTING.
Read and change your mind LATER.

Good Luck, too~!

Harry Callahan

Yeah, BusGunner!

Lots of good info and insight in your response, and thanks. I think I will take your advice and go for the Savage. Noone here has said it is a POS so I guess it's a quality rifle. Christmas is coming and this rifle will definitely be on my wish list. Thanks to all who took the time to opine.:D

buckster

Fine round. If you want to plink, in other words shoot repetitively you will want a bull barrel preferably out of S/S The A- bolt or a CZ 550 will send you. The CZ is my choice for they are tack drivers.:cool:

Maser

Agreed that you have picked a great cartidge. The .308 and .30-06 are probly the most versatile cartridge there is. As a long range target/plinking gun it's awsome and ammo isn't too expensive and seeing as they're military cartridges you can get good surplus deals on bulk ammo. Also even though you said you are not going to hunt with it, if you do decide to use it for hunting you can take virtualy any big game with that cartridge.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Harry, a lot of the Goody of any rifle is how well it fits your body size and shape. Not all stocks are the same.

In feeling and fondling, mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed. When you open them, you should be looking right through the sights or right down the centerline of the barrel: WITHOUT moving your head.

Hold the rifle with your arm bent, the buttpad against the bicep, and your hand on the grip and your finger on the trigger. It should not be tight against your bicep, and there should not be a gap of more than about 1/4" or 1/2" between the buttpad and your bicep.

After that, the issue is aesthetics and price. It's hard to find a bad-shooting rifle with today's machine tool technology.

FWIW, Art