Interest in a small frame pump rifle?

HiBC

Every once in a while someone posts on the interest in some new product gun.

There used to be the Winchester Model 62A pump in 22 ,popular as a Gallery Rifle.

And here was the Remington Model25,in 25-20 and 32-20.

I'll toss the idea out to see if there is interest.

Maybe a slightly scaled up Win 62A in 32 H+R ? I think that would be fun and practical.
I would not complain about a redo of the Rem Model 25. Its a more modern looking design,probably better suited to optics.

While I envision a .32 size, Some might prefer a 38SPL...or even .357.

That idea has merit,but I like the idea of a skinnier,lighter .32.

What do you think?

Ruger/Marlin? Or Henry?

MarkCO

I like pump rifles.

I had some of the IMI Timberwolfs. Bought as parts kits, made the missing parts and sold them off. Should have kept one.

If there was a legit .357 pump rifle from RM Marlin or Henry, I'd get that instead of a .357 Lever Rifle. Rossi and Henty make pump rimfires now. I admit I have looked at them.

Rimfire and low pressure center fire pump rifles don't seem to be in the mainstream interest, but I'd still like one.

The Colt Lightning is fascinating to me. When I see a sample at a gunshow, I just stare at them for a while then slowly walk out of the show. :)

Butzbach

I'd buy one in a New York minute!

The IMI Timberwolves are the best $300.00 rifle that $1900.00+ can buy.

I'd buy a reasonably priced (<$500.00) pump action 16" 357 Magnum rifle in a New York minute!

TBM900

I like pump rifles.
I had some of the IMI Timberwolfs. Bought as parts kits, made the missing parts and sold them off. Should have kept one.
Same here :)
I'm a long time owner and lover of the Timberwolf
I own three, 2 blue and 1 stainless, all bought NIB back when they first hit the market
I'll never part with them

Price has gone through the roof with even used ones often touching $2,000+
In large part due to people hedging against coming bans
10 rounds of 357 in a fast pump action is pretty formidable

My only complaint is that they used the 44 barrel blank for the 357
Which makes it a bit heavier than it needs to be

BobCat45

My first long gun (when we moved city to country) was a .357 mag Timberwolf, partly because I had a couple of revolvers in that caliber, didn't want more reloading dies, and thought the limited range of that caliber in a rifle was sufficient for my purposes. I took a bobcat with it, at about 35 yards, at dusk, from my back porch. (Boring story - one of my housecats disappeared and I was stupid enough to think that killing one predator would keep the rest safe).

I'd be delighted to buy any similar pump rifle in .357 mag but I'd like to see one with a removable box magazine. In a book about John Moses Browning I saw reference to such a box mag pump action rifle he patented but it was never produced.

I love my .357 Marlin lever gun but the Timberwolf is special.

Oh, and before anyone points out the impracticality of rimmed cartridges in a box mag, I know... but it works fine in .22 and I think if the mag was thoughtfully designed (slanted, with a channel at the back for the rims) it could be made to work. No good reason for it as opposed to tube mag, I don't think there are any pointy bullets that would suddenly become viable, just preference/taste.

ligonierbill

There is only one Timberwolf on GB this morning, and they are very proud of it. I was never interested in slide action rifles until I got a decent price on a Marlin 27S. And hey, what's not to like. Stays on target while you work the action, 25-20, and a takedown to boot. I would not be surprised to see a new one on the market, but expect to pay $1.200-1,500.

Siggy-06

Henry produces a pump in 22lr/long/short and 22mag. I could see them making one in a larger caliber, though 32 caliber ammo is scarce in my area.

MarkCO

My only complaint is that they used the 44 barrel blank for the 357
Which makes it a bit heavier than it needs to be

That was my thought too, and the main reason I decided not to keep one. I paid just under $100 for the kits. Each was missing a few parts, the main one being the extractor. Had a guy make me springs and I made the pins. I bought a few extractors a guy was making for the first few, then made ten myself. They were fun to put together. But, like my 6 point Bull Elk mount, sold them to go back to school and pay tuition. :D

TBM900

There is only one Timberwolf on GB this morning, and they are very proud of it.
There are two
The guy with the stainless one has had it listed for about two months now
I've seen a couple of NIB stainless ones sell for ~$3,000 in recent years
As is yea he's being quite optimistic to say the least

There a second one that was listed earlier this week and ending tomorrow
It has original box but it's clearly been entirely refinished with even the stock being painted
Based on the scratches on the receiver and the wear on the bolt I would guess it's seen rough use
It's currently at $1,400 which is quite high IMO given the wear and refinishing

TBM900

That was my thought too, and the main reason I decided not to keep one. I paid just under $100 for the kits. Each was missing a few parts, the main one being the extractor. Had a guy make me springs and I made the pins. I bought a few extractors a guy was making for the first few, then made ten myself. They were fun to put together. But, like my 6 point Bull Elk mount, sold them to go back to school and pay tuition. :D

I've thought about having one of mine fluted to take off a bit of front end weight, but I end up realizing it wont be worth the effort or expense. With the likely coming bans in our future I suspect we will soon be seeing a revival of pump action rifles just as we are seeing with lever actions this past year.

People often forget how fun pump action rifles are. I was at a fun match with some friends recently and brought my Remington 7600 Police, as usual I was repeatedly asked if I was ready to sell it. Pump rifles can be a hoot to run fast :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4dWic-LKkc&t=15s

HiBC

I understand the interest in a .357 Magnum.
Judging by the response,that may well be where the market is.

I went to Henry's site and looked at the 22 magnum pump.
It might be Henry would not have to work too hard to put a .32 H+R in the 22 magnum package. I don't know. Maybe.

A .357 would require a whole new gun from scratch.

Henry can do whatever they want. Maybe they could test the market with a 32 H+R in their rimfire pump,even if they had to beef it up a bit. The 32 H+R does have some pressure to it.

Maybe if those sell,Henry would make a .357 ....An improved Colt Lightning??
Who knows.

Shadow9mm

I think a tube fed pump or lever action 9mm would be super cool. But alas rimless cartridge don't play nice in that format. Not sure why pump has declined.

FrankenMauser

Henry is your most likely candidate to make it.
Ruger is most likely to do it "right" - but chunkily and over-built.
Marlin has a history with pump action rifles, but I doubt Ruger wants to go down that road now.

(It feels good to not have to mention Remington with Marlin any more.)

BobCat45

Seems the Uberti Lightning is no longer imported. Found it on the Uberti home page:

https://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1884-lightning-rifle-carbine/

but not on the Uberti-usa page.

I do not know the weight but it looks like a stout, strong, heavy rifle; not exactly small frame lightweight. If the .357 Timberwolf is too heavy, the Lightning might be considered more so.

Further - it is too beautiful to be a casual, practical walk in the woods arm (speaking for myself only - a matter of taste).

But I agree it answers the question.

Polinese

I didn't look hard as I've never been interested in the lightning but I know I've seen some shorter round barrel blued carbines which would fit the practical role a little more. Doesn't help if they're not making that configuration or importing it though. Oh well.

105kw

The perfect small frame pump rifle, for me, would be a scaled down 760 pump.
Set it up in 357, and 44 mag. Have it operate with Ruger rotary mags.
Light weight barrel, receiver tapped for scope or optics.
In short a modern, lightweight, easy handling, carbine.

wachtelhund1

Marlin 27s, .25-20

I've got three Marlin 27s rifles in .25-20 Winchester. Two have been relined which I shoot regularly. One was purchased off GB about 14 years ago for $49.00. It came with just the left receiver plate and attached barrel, very rusty with no rifling left. I bought parts, polished the steel and rust blued it, and made stocks. Had the barrel shorten to 20" when it was relined. The second one was purchased in an auction for $160.00 non-functioning. It was missing internal parts which I had from restoring the first one. It still sports a 24" barrel.

These are light and fast handling rifles, the receiver is only 7/8" thick. Scope base is attached to 8 40 factory drill holes.

Attachments

• Completed 27-S 1.jpg
    Completed 27-S 1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Completed 27-S2.JPG
    Completed 27-S2.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

jetinteriorguy

I’ve wanted either a Timberwolf/Lightening rifles in .357 for quite a few years but the price is just way out of my reach. If Henry made one in the $900.00 or less price range I’d be very tempted.

BobCat45

wachtelhund1 those are truly beautiful!

Now I have to read up on .25-20 Winchester - ballistics and reloading.

Thanks for the lovely pictures!