Interarns Virginian Dragoon

torquewrench

I just picked up an Interarms Virginian Dragoon in 44 magnum. I never heard of this company or model. It cost me $250 - everything was tight and the I could see the rifling clearly down the barrel. So, I bought it. It is old and has some wear - but everything seems to be in good working order. I still want a Super Blackhawk -but for the price this will have to do for now. I can't wait to get a pig with this pistol...

Anyone know if there are any peculiarities with this pistol?

Last edited:

curt.45

its heavy, it won't recoil like a Ruger because its heavy, unless you abuse it it should last, and its heavy.

I hope by "pig" you mean something that will end up being bacon or ham next to your eggs.

P.S. they are heavy. 250 is a good deal in my opinion.

Powderman

Congratulations. The revolver was actually made by Hammerli, and is an excellent firearm. VERY good price, too!

DWFan

The Interarms Virginian was made by Hammerli and is approx. the same size as a Colt clone with fixed sights. The Dragoon is a heavier framed revolver, close to a Blackhawk, with adjustable sights and was made in the US by Interarms themselves. A very solid and well made sixgun.

Pahoo

The revolver was actually made by Hammerli, and is an excellent firearm.
Not all were made by Hammereli but the ones that were, are the better or prefered ones. Look on the side frame just above the trigger and see if it says so. If your is in good shape, you sure got a good deal ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

torquewrench

The six gun has some cosmetic flaws and the grip is chipped on one side. The action is tight and the rifling is sound. I fired a empty primed shell today. Firing pin works fine.

I read an article on Interarms earlier today. Mine was made in Virginia in 1981. It is the Yorktown edition. http://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf

By pig, I mean wild pig.... Bacon and such...Not sure what else I would mean?

Last edited:

ipscchef

Red convertable syndrome

Talk about "Red Convertable Syndrome"!! BTW, that refers to the phenomenon Wherin you do not see, think about or otherwise refer to an object, for a long time, like a red convertable, then you see one, and all of the sudden you are inunddated with them.
After going for years without even thinking about Interarms Virginain Dragoons, in the last few weeks there have been some postings about them here, I have seen two at my local gunshop, and there is at least one for sale on TFL!
They are great guns IMO, regardless of where they came from. I have handled both types and love them.
I used to live in DC. and we would go down to Interarms on Prince street in Va. at least once a month to see what they had. The store was truly a Disneyworld for gun nuts like me:D!! It was like dying and going to "Gun Heaven"!!
My friends and I bought several guns there, including a couple of Virginialn Dragoons purchased by some of my freinds. We all thought they were excellent guns, and a lot of fun to shoot, and we still do. IMO, you have just aquired a great shooter, congratulations, be safe, and have fun with it. I believe they have attained somewhat of a "Cult" status.
Willy

a68gliderider

Another proud owner

Hello all - I recently inherited a .44 mag V/D; picked it up at the dealer yesterday, and couldn't wait to get to the range. I agree with curt.45, it is heavy, not to mention loud, but shoots like a dream. It's date stamped April 16, 1974. Stainless finish, 8 3/8" barrel. Is this Swiss made ?

stevieboy

A friend of mine has one and I've fired it. His is precisely made and very accurate. Felt recoil was less than with a Blackhawk.

torquewrench

Rear Sights

I have fired about 200 rounds through the Dragoon. The rear sight doesnt seem to stay in adjustment. I cant find a replacement for Dragoons. I am thinking about buying a Super Blackhawk rear Sight assembly. I heard that with a little filing, it will fit my Dragoon. Anyone know it that is true?