Interarms Whitworth

Nunya53

So, tell me about the Whitworth imported by Interterms? I made a deal with a guy from work for one in 300 win mag for $425 based on some photos. I will see it in person tomorrow and likely seal the deal. I don't know any other details other than it looks very nice in the pictures.

Don't know much about it, but I am a sucker for a Mauser action. Let me know what you think.

Jerry

Last edited:

Paul B.

Well the action is by Zastava and I like them. I've had two, a .300 Win. Mag. that was very accurate right off the bat and a .375 H&Hand also quite accurate. Both guns were Mark X's by Zastava. Frankly, if I were offered a Whitworth in .300 Win. mag. at that price, I'd be all over it like stink from a skunk. The Whitworths I have seen and handled had a bit more refinement than the Mark X and were a bit smoother actions. But then, I too am a Mauser freak and almost all of my custom rifles are based on Mauser actions. :cool: I'm still kicking myself for selling that .300 Win. mag. :(
Paul B.

Wyosmith

The Mk-X is a fine action. It is not as polished inside the bolt races as the Commercial German or Belgian actions, but 30 minutes with a polishing stick and some 400 grit lapping compound and they will be just as slick.

Overall, it's a very fine action

Nunya53

Already have two 300 win mags, so I will definitely rebarrel if it doesn't shoot....maybe a 338 win mag.....been wanting one anyway...

Jerry

ThomasT

I think it was that rifle I read a review on and the writer stated it shot very well with the lighter weight bullets but the heavier bullets didn't shoot well at all. It turns out the barrel had a 1/12 twist IIRC instead of the more common 1/10 twist. So if thats important to you you may want to measure the twist before you buy.

And since we are going on my memory here (always risky) I could be completely wrong on the rifle.:eek:

Nunya53

ratshooter said:
I think it was that rifle I read a review on and the writer stated it shot very well with the lighter weight bullets but the heavier bullets didn't shoot well at all. It turns out the barrel had a 1/12 twist IIRC instead of the more common 1/10 twist. So if thats important to you you may want to measure the twist before you buy.

Good advice and something I hadn't thought of. It will not be a deal breaker for me if it's in good shape and I can easily measure the twist rate with a cleaning rod. If it does turn out to be 1/12 twist, I can load lighter bullets for is since I have two other 300 Win Mags anyway.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Jerry

Montana Griz

Withworth action

Several years ago I bought (over the internet) a new MAGNUM (imported by Interarms) length Withworth action (from Bill Hicks distributorship), mfg in Manchester England.....and was marked Mark X......I ultimately wanted to end up with a .375 H &H Mag suitable for a Kodiak.
I had it barreled (here in Montana) with a Douglas Barrel, and the chamber (.375 H&H) and throat reamed so that I could seat 300gr Noslers flush with the base of the neck. Then sent it to Bell and Carlson and had the action glass bedded into one of their synthetic FRP stocks, and the barrel free floated. I put 3 handloads through it and decided that since I like to develope loads ......I think a muzzle brake would be advisable on what was now a 7#-12oz rifle w/ a Leopold 1 3/4 to 5 scope in Warne rings and bases.
Sent it off to Sequin,TX for the brake.
Got it back and ended up with a load utilizing Norma 204 powder, a Federal 215 primer and WW Brass that chronographed at 2685 w/ the 300gr Partitions, and would put 3 rounds into just a hair under one inch at 100 yrds... It was a pleasure to shoot .....had recoil about equal to a 30/06 w a 150 gr.
I had got my name on Jim Bailey's list for "cancelled hunts" a couple of yrs earlier, and after a total of 3 yrs, I got a very late season (mid Nov) Kodiak Brown bear hunt for half price. Jim had a Doctor cancel out and he didn't want the permit to go unused......, and I jumped at the chance!
I was totally pleased with the rifle, and completely confident that at age 60, it would get me a bear if I did my part.
On Nov 17 (in absolutely terrible weather: wind, sleet, snow), and after having only seen one other bear in 4 days...... I got an 11 yr old boar, at 40 y rds, after a 3.5 hr stalk , crawling up the mountain side from sea level to 1380 feet............ah but that's a whole 'nother story.
THAT controlled feed, Mdl 98 Withworth action is fantastic, and IMHO, leaves nothing to be desired.

kraigwy

This is the Whithworth I was looking for.

Whitworth%20Rifle.JPG

With the unique polygona sided bullets

One of the better Civil War Sniper Rifles.

Scorch

Many years ago, I picked up an Interarms Mk X Whitworth Express rifle in 375 H&H in a trade. I had always wanted a 375 H&H, probably from reading too much Ruark, Hemingway, Capstick and Aagard while growing up. Very accurate, much more refined than the Mark X Viscount rifles, dark walnut stock that was glued together down the middle with contrasting wood stripe from front to back. It was a little too light for a 375, but very shootable. I shot it a bit, then parked it in the safe. Years later, I let it go in a trade. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Not very many Cape Buffalo in Idaho at the time.

T. O'Heir

Mauser by Zastava. Makes it a Yugoslavian Mauser. Not a bad thing. There are several 'grades' though. Prices on Gunbroker vary from about $750 to about a grand. So $425 isn't ugly. Condition matters of course.
"...always wanted a 375 H&H..." Needs to be a double rifle though. Preferably a Purdy, but a Heym would do. Capstick has that affect on a guy. snicker.

Jim Watson

Of course a double rifle should be .375 Magnum Flanged. I know the big makers do pretty well with rimless extractors, but for maximum reliability, rimmed is best.
I see that Heym, one of the better Continental brands, will make either.
And it is spelt Purdey. "Purdy" is probably a Belgian knockoff.

agtman

Whitworths aren't a BRNO 602, but they're not bad for a base rifle to have a talented Big-Bore 'smith build-up into a reliable, accurate working rifle.

Wayne at American Hunting Rifles (AHR), and Lon Paul at Tanglewood are two very capable 'smiths that come to mind.

Don't settle for "iffy" out-of-the-box Big-Bore rifles. Current CZ 550s, by the way, are among the worst offenders.

Last edited:

std7mag

They are fine rifles. Come with adjustable trigger.

One thing to be aware of.. They are known for thestock to crack through the grip area on the harder recoiling cartridges.

Mine was in 270 Win, with a Bell & Carlson stock.
It is now wearing an E.R.Shaw barrel in 284 Win.

hooligan1

Std7mag, I ordered the very same rifle action from Interarms back in the early 90's, and BnC stock also. I had the choice between non adjustable and adjustable, so I got the adjustable trigger on mine as well. Traded it a year later for who knows what, tracked it down 3 months ago and have it back in my posession. BTW .270 Win.

Scorch

I should have clarified. The cracking is known on the wood stocked models.
The "standard" Mark X rifles were called "Viscount", and they were stocked in some of the plainest walnut you ever wanted to see. Once the finish was off of them, they were pretty much just plain blond wood. So yes, they were easy to damage.

Whitworth rifles, on the other hand, cost almost twice as much as a Viscount rifle, and had very solid wood, albeit not spectacular wood. Some of the Whitworth rifles used a special stock that was two pieces glued together with a strip of wood between the two halves.

Nunya53

Well, I'm sure this one is not wearing the original stock although I can't complain because the stock is very well figured I will probably have it checkered by my guy but the safety is horrible. No positive detents. the trigger is definitely adjustable, but I'll likely replace it with a Timney because of the safety.

Jerry