interarms virginian dragoon

Henry P

Was just wondering who out there is shooting one of these discontinued single actions. My wife bought mine for me, a .44 mag, 7-1/2 incher in S.S. I like mine but havn't had it that long.(it was used but in like new condition). The firing pin broke on mine, but has not caused me any problems since. I don't really like the "swiss safe" feature(too hard to use) but I do like the index marks over the one chamber(makes it easy to know which chamber is empty). Anyone put some stout loads through theirs?

Hutch

That was the first .44M I ever shot or owned. It used to bruise the middle finger of my right hand after just a few rounds. Great way to develop a flinch, which I did. I went to a SuperBlackhawk with Pachmayr grips. No further problems. Can't say much about reliability or accuracy, since I couldn't stand to shoot it enough to find out.

Gunslinger

I've got a blued 5.5", .44 mag. and a blued 7.5" .357 mag.. I seldom shoot the .44 but the .357 get's shot quite a bit. I consider both excellent guns, relativley accurate and completely reliable. They were designed to accomodate heavy loads.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Henry P

Havn't had any problem with recoil bruising my hand as yet. I wish the grip was just slightly smaller, but I can live with it.(maybe a different set of stocks might help). Mine has "sic semper tyrannis" on the bottom of the grip frame, a nice touch I think. I believe they had other sayings inscribed but I don't know what they are. I also like the recessed cylinder, probably doesn't make any difference but it is a nice touch as well. Right now I'm shooting a 240 gr. laser cast bullet over 21 gr./2400(no leading to speak of), accuracy is ok but I still have to play around to find out what this gun really likes. Hope to get a deer with it this year. They sure do look like a well made gun, and stout(probably not as tough as the Blachawks, but strong enough). Thanks for responding

Jbar4Ranch

Mine is an 8 3/8" stainless .44 mag version purchased new for..... $157.00 if I remember correctly. (special one-to-a-dealer promotional thing when they first came out) Sadly it was stolen from my locked car a couple years later along with a holster, belt, & about 30 rounds of ammo. But (happily!) it was recovered a couple months later from some low-life trying to sell it in a pawn shop in Denver. (I'm near Helena, Mt .) Got everything back in the same condition it was except for the ammo. Shoots good and I don't worry about max loads in it.

Gunslinger

Henry, the other scripts are a rattle snake with the words, "Don't tread on me". and simple banner with the words, "Liberty Forever".
Like you I had wished the grips were smaller. (The large frame size contributes to the over all feeling of excessive size when compared to a Colt SAA.) I sanded the grips on my .357 example down until they fit my hand and then refinished them. The gun now feels much better than the other with this as the only change. Give it a try. You'll be happy with the results and all it cost is the price of some sandpaper and a little time. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

Henry P

Gunslinger, thanks for the other two inscriptions, you know how something like that can bug a person. I was considering doing what you did to the stocks, or I may still look around for something in the aftermarket. Any info on why they stopped making these guns, I'm figuring Ruger just outpriced/marketed them.

P.S. jbar4ranch glad to hear you got your gun back. Probably a million to one. My wife got her motorcycle stolen once-got it back after about 2 years! but it was essentially totalled.

[This message has been edited by Henry P (edited September 29, 2000).]

Gunslinger

They were being manufactured by Hammerli located in Switzerland and imported by Interarms for several years. (This is one gun in which Fjestad's Bluebook contains inaccuracies. It claims they were produced by "various" European manufactures. In truth Hammerli was the only European manufacture to ever produce them.) Beginning in 1976 production was moved to Midland, VA., headquarters to Interarms. In 1984 production was ceased. Because of various import laws and their relative weak market it was no longer cost effective to import the guns. Hense the death of the Virginia Dragoon. :(
You are correct in that the Ruger single actions were far more popular and won out in consumer demand for strong, quality single actions.

------------------
Gunslinger

gunfixer76

44 Virginian dragoon

I have owned my dragoon for 30 years now. Years ago I added a pair of eagle ivorex grips and reblued the entire revolver to a high pollished blue.
The inscription on the bottom of my grip frame is "We The People 1776-1976"
I have fired 240 grain to 300 grain loads through this old beast over the years and it is still solid as a rock. and accurate. I can hit milk jugs at 75 yards all day with the right loads. I have been a pistol and revolver smith for 20 years and will swear by the resilliance of this revolver. Trust me it is a keeper

SIGSHR

IIRC the Hammerli Dragoon imported by Interarms was an exact copy of the
Colt SAA in 45 Long Colt. The Virginian Dragoon was a US made SA scaled up for the 44 Magnum, with adjustable sights, later made in stainless steel. Recall
the review in AR where they noted the designers of the Virginian Dragoon managed to keep the profile and feel of the Virginian Dragoon "just right" and
mine does have the right look and feel. Polish and bluing on mine is excellent.

DMZX

The Virginian Dragoon was a US made SA scaled up for the 44 Magnum, with adjustable sights,

That is the one I had in the early 80's. It was big, stout, .44 magnum and I bought it to hunt mule deer in heavy brush.

My only problem with it was that the wooden grips would come loose easily and pinch my hands under recoil :eek:. I quickly replaced them with some Pachmayrs and solved that problem.

I reloaded some fairly warm hunting stuff for that revolver and killed three bucks with it. It never failed me. Financial hard times forced me to sell it. I sure wish I would could have kept it. :(

varmit

virginian dragoon 44 m

I have own a virginian dragoon stainless 44 m made in 1974. I would shot any load in this tat is not over a max load, I shoot 245 grain soft point buy cci lawman. Ruger is a very reliable and strong hand gun, I have owned then and like them, but I wouldnt trade my dragoon for one. I have big hands and the dragoon fits great, it has the 6" barrel, it has a very good balance. I wont put ruger down they are good but I prefer my Dragoon.