Interarms Va Dragoon

Stick_man

I have a chance at picking up an Interarms Virginian Dragoon in .44mag w/6" bbl. It was made around 1977 in Alexandria VA, and I am wondering if anybody knows how they hold up to heavy loads. I like the looks and feel of them better than the Ruger BH, and the price is more "reasonable".

Any thoughts about these revolvers? Any ideas on pricing? This one is in excellent condition and they want $450 for it (which I think may be a little bit high).

Remington 51

I have one in 7 1/2" and in .44 mag. I shoot only factory loads in mine.

I see them going for $350-450 around here. So $450 for excellent doesnt sound terrible.

shootniron

I have a Dragoon that is an excellent quality revolver made by Hammerli for Interarms in .45lc. It is great shooter and has held up well to the mid range loads that I have run through it.

I would say that $350.00 would be a reasonable price based on condition. You might also check Gunbroker for more pricing info.

Last edited:

Model-P

I have a Dragoon that is an excellent quality revolver made by Hammerli for Interarms in .44mag.

I have never seen nor heard of a Hammerli-made Dragoon, let alone in .44 Magnum, from a reputable source. Please post pictures of this rare one.

shootniron

I have never seen nor heard of a Hammerli-made Dragoon, let alone in .44 Magnum, from a reputable source. Please post pictures of this rare one.

I corrected the caliber as I was thinking of the gun the OP was looking at. However, my Dragoon is a .45lc that was made by Hammerli and as soon as I can get home to take a photo, I will post it. But, if you doubt that Hammerli made Dragoons, just do a search and there should be plenty of evidence to satisfy you.

Model-P

Shootniron, it is a common mistake. Hammerli made the "Virginian" (not Dragoon) which was imported by Interarms. Then Interarms started making their own model here in the States which they called the "Virginian Dragoon". The Hammerli was not a "Virginian Dragoon". The Hammerli "Virginian" and Interarms' "Virginian Dragoon" are nothing alike.

This is a Hammerli "Virginian", probably just like the one you have:
DSCF3176-croppedresized750.jpg

sp45

I have the same in stainless. I measured the frame and cylinder and it has the same approximate dimensions as the super blackhawk but with a fluted cylinder. The barrel contour is a little heavier then the Ruger. I like the grip handle size and shoot some stout loads and have never had a problem.

salvo

I picked up a blue .44 last year. Very well built revolver and accurate too! I made a new set of grips for it. It came with rubber Pacmyers that I sold.

IMG_3733.jpg

$450.00 is more than I paid but I think it would be worth it!