Installing night sights on an XD9

Foxy

A friend of mine purchased an XD9 today, and is interested in mounting night sights on it. Is this a project that a reasonably mechanically-inclined individual can handle on his own, or is it something that you need to send to a gunsmith? How are the sights installed?

cmsgt5

night sights

greetings,

I had meprolight night sights installed at Mazy's in Chino Valley. Kinda pricey, but they are nice, much better than the ameriglo n/s I had installed when I sent the gun away for coating back east.
On a Sig that I used to have, a shop in Sacramento did not charge anything as long as I bought the n/s there; took only five minutes to get the sights on properly. At Mazy's I ha and to leave the xd-9 for a couple of days; but they I am happy with their work, and the n/s work very well. Give 'em a call first to make sure they have the n/s in stock.

BigGun97B

Some 'smiths will drift them in place with a brass punch for $5 or $10. It'll work, but it makes me want to wince a little. I don't know how many of them can take that kind of install without the tubes cracking or breaking outright. The other alternative is to get a sight pusher. Real slick but about $130. Maybe you can find a 'smith with a pusher that doesn't charge a lot.

WDE-G19

Without a sight pusher that would work on both front and rear dovetails, I would personally not mess with it. I did a Steyr M (also two dovetails) last month, and it was a total PITA. I ended up taking the front sight to a gunsmith, I just couldn't get it to work. If you insist on doing it yourself, buy a small brass hammer and brass or nylon punches, you will mar the finish with a steel punch. Make sure to use Short, light taps, and file down any rough edges that might impede movement of the new sight in the dovetail once you get the original front sight out.

I have a MGW sight pusher for my Glock that I installed my Heinies with, and this took only 20 minutes. With the XD, I'm not sure but I know that front dovetail looks a lot like the Steyr, which was not worth the time and frustration.

Again, I personally wouldn't play around with it, as you do run the risk of screwing up the sight or the finish but checkout hs2000talk.com and try to find some posts from those who have done it.

WaltherP99

If he is gonna do it himself make sure he knows they only come out one way! They have to be removed opposite the ejection port (to left left while holding the gun).