Installing front sight FEG GKK 45

veprdude

I bought a FEG GKK 45 without sights. Easy order from Numrich and I have them. What's the best way to install front sights? They're not dovetailed. There's just a recess for them that doesn't go all the way through the slide. I don't see any stake marks from before. The rear is a dovetail with stake mark.

TRX

Great Grief! Someone else with a GKK!

Mine had persistent FTF/FTE issues. I found that it didn't like standard-pressure ammo at all, but the hotter the ammo, the better it liked it.

I like the gun a lot; I just haven't had the round tuits to do another batch of handloads and take it back to the range. Once I find a load it's happy with, I'll be happy too.

I found the stock grip to be squarish and uncomfortable. A simple $8 Hogue slip-on sleeve helped that a lot.

TRX, does yours show how they hold the sights in? If it's soldered, it can't be copied without damaging the finish. If the fit of the front sight in that slot isn't too loose, then some of the Loctite retaining products may work. They state they are for cylindrical assemblies, but go on to show them used for keyways and splines. If the inserted sight has a light gap showing (the stem is longer than the slot in the slide is deep), then it may be intended to be installed like a rivet, with a press head shaped to match the visible part of the blade simply swelling the stem during insertion. If the slot has any degree of negative taper or undercut, that seems more likely.

Bill is right about soft solder. I had silver solder (really silver brazing) in mind for taking a beating, but that may be overkill in this instance. Brownells sells a number of soft solders and a solder blacking chemical you could use to get a solder line to look less obvious if it matters to you.