Input Needed - Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact

BarryLee

I went with a Buddy to look at handguns last Saturday. Anyway, he called this morning and said he has decided to get the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact in 9mm and wanted my opinion. I was a little surprised by his choice, but admit I thought the gun was kind of neat.

So, I know Beretta is a great company and I own a 92FS which I like pretty well, but know nothing at all about the PX4 Sub-Compact. Does anyone have any personal experience with this gun? The LGS guy said it was a different mechanical design than the full-size, but just as good. So, if is just as good why did he feel the need to even mention this?

LockedBreech

The rotating-barrel system of the PX4, adapted from Beretta's (now Stoeger's) Cougar, is one of the unique aspects and selling points of the PX4 since it tames felt recoil and muzzle flip.

I believe the subcompact uses a standard Browning-type locked-breech short recoil tilting barrel action. I've heard good reports but haven't shot one myself.

gnarSKYLER

I have the px4 sub compact in 9 mm and I love it. It is very comfortable for me, but I don't have very large hands. If he is planning on carrying it, it is a little difficult due the shape of grip and the width of a double stack (assuming he's going for the 13 rounder), but it is entirely possible. Takedown is very simple. One of my only complaints is that there is a visible gap between the frame and slide, but i haven't noticed any problems or issues due to it. All in all, I would highly recommend the px4. If you have any questions, feel free to message me

gnarSKYLER

No, I'm saying the grip is a very sharp angle at the bottom, so my shirt clings to that easily, and then the 13 round double stack magazine makes it a pretty thick little gun.

BarryLee

If he is planning on carrying it, it is a little difficult due the shape of grip and the width of a double stack

Yes, I think he is planning to get his Weapons License and eventually carry, so it might be something for him to consider. He liked the fact that for a small gun it felt good in his hand, but that is probably a byproduct of the larger grip.

TailGator

The different mechanism that was mentioned is that the full-sized and compact versions of the PX4 have a rotating barrel that dampens recoil significantly. The subcompact, as mentioned above, does not have the rotating barrel.

Lots of people carry double stacks, but the PX4 is a little thick even for double stacks. For example, the PX4 is listed as 1.4 inches thick, whereas a Glock 26 is listed at 1.18 inches. It might not sound like much, but it starts to get a little chunky and a bit more difficult to conceal when you get up in that range.

My daughter has a compact PX4 and it is a very impressive little pistol, but she does not carry on her person. I would advise checking how it feels inside the belt line, and giving serious thought to what cover garments you are going to use, before purchasing it or any pistol intended for concealed carry.

Aristides

PX4 SubCompact: Very Nice Pistol!

I have both the PX4 Compact and the PX4 SubCompact. They are both excellent guns. I find them both easy to carry inside my waistband (I use a bellyband), and I routinely carry the SubCompact in the pocket of my denim cargo shorts, which is my normal attire around the house and around town when running errands.

The PX4 SubCompact does not carry well in the pocket of my normal business slacks or casual shorts, other than my denim cargo shorts.

I find that the recoil is very mild in both the Compact and the SubCompact, and both guns are very accurate.

Last edited:

jreXD9

I had one for about a week or two. Liked the looks of it but couldn't shoot it worth a crap. I shoot CZ and S'fields much better for some reason. It got traded.