Inpulse buy - M77 Mark II picture added

wbw

I have been thinking about getting another rifle for the fun of it. I certainly don't need another rifle. Been thinking about something in .243. I don't hunt, so anything I get would be used for punching paper. I don't shoot competitively so I don't need the most exacting of rifles. As a matter of fact I was think budget entry level gun. You know; T/C Venture, Browning AB3, Marlin X7, Mossberg Patriot, Ruger American.

My normal method of operation is to research the heck out of everything before I buy it. So for the past few weeks I've been searching on the forums and on Google for reviews and comparisons of these rifles. I was going around in circles with which one was the best for the money. Then yesterday I stopped in at my LGS for a look. I asked what they had in .243 and was shown a Ruger M77 Mark II. It was on consignment but it looks to be new. It's the skeletonized or 'boat paddle' version of the Mark II. The barrel is like a mirror inside. It had a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5X10 scope on it also. $599 seemed like a decent deal. I played with it for about ten minutes and said 'I'll take it'. :eek: That hadn't been on my radar at all. But I was pretty sure that the M77 was at least a step or two above the level of rifles that I had been considering.

The M77 seems well made and solid. I think the Mark II version is controlled round feed. So hopefully I didn't do too badly for having stepped outside my comfort zone and making a spur of the moment decision.

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I bought a wood-stock version in .223, back around 1998 or so. Half-MOA from the git-go, although I replaced the tort liability trigger with a Timney.

I like the .243. Tagged a couple of dozen bucks with mine. Lotsa DRTs. :) Sub-MOA is easy with handloads.

wbw

Now that I've had a little more time to play with it, the trigger is a little heavier than I would like. I would guess it's around 5 lbs. I looked up the serial number on Ruger's site and the rifle was made somewhere in the 1994 to 1995 range.

WV_gunner

My dad had an ultra light in .30-06, he never had a single issue with other than it either wasn't meant to shoot really light or heavy bullets, can't remember which.

ThomasT

I think you got an excellent deal. I am certain the scope alone is worth over $300. I don't need a new rifle but I don't think I could have passed on that deal.

I looked on the SWFA site and that scope is listed at $499.99. So heck yes you got a deal. Wanna make fifty bucks?:D

wbw

For now I'll keep it. ;)

Talk about making a few bucks, I was just fooling around on GB looking at M77 Mk IIs. There is a used 'boat paddle' just like mine but in 25-06 Rem with no scope. There are 16 bids and it's up to $1000. :eek: Either those folks are nuts or I got a heck of a deal. Or maybe 25-06 Rem is some sort of rare caliber in an M77. I don't know.

Upon hearing about this, my wife thinks I should put it on GB.

jumpingeezer

Ruger 243

You got a pretty good deal on the rifle and scope. I have always despised the synthetic "boat paddle" stock. It's functional, but it looks like something that belongs paddling a canoe rather than being on a nice rifle.

Ruger used to sell a replacement wood stock for a very reasonable price. I have a Model 77 Mark II in 7.62X39 that I transformed from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan by simply swapping out the stock.:)

Check with Ruger and see if the wood stocks are still available.

FrankenMauser

It should be a good rifle.
And, being 94+ production, it would have left the factory with a Ruger barrel. As such, you don't have to play the "Did I get a decent barrel? Or a tomato stake?"-lottery.

Good price, especially with that scope on it.

Replace the trigger and sear with the Timney kit (minor fitting required), after you verify that it doesn't have some kind of hidden issue, and it should serve you well for some time to come.
My personal preference with the Timney trigger is actually to keep the factory spring. The change in geometry and improved mating surfaces makes a huge difference, and I found the improved break to be plenty for me. When combined with the light Timney spring(s), the trigger was too light for use with cold hands. In cold weather, the trigger was literally breaking before I could feel my finger touch it.

(I've been looking for a .243 M77 Mk II, and I like the 'boat paddle' stocks. If you ever want to sell it, send me a message. ;))

I also have an older one in 243 ( back when the inserts were OD green ) it was my 1st rifle, & I'll likely never part with it...

I hunted with it for years with a camo Simmons 3-9 scope... now that I'm older & upgrading my rifles it currently wears new inserts ( spalted Maple ) & a better quality scope ( a 4-12X Nikon Prostaff 5 )...

attachment.php