Inner Tube Grip Covers

Consort

I have an M & P Shield and have found that I need to enhance my purchase on the grip. I have opted to use an inner tube rather than Talon Grips, Decal Grips, or similar products from companies like Pachmayr. I am having difficulty in finding the proper size tube. In the past I have used mountain bike tubes for double stack grips, but they are too big for the single stack grip. Has any other forum member found one that fits snuggly?

Grizz12

I found a on the side of the road and have been using it, I dont know the size but it will stretch-to-fit most items. Sometimes I use a little dish soap to get it to slide easier

Consort

Forgot to mention (not proud) that I dumpster dive for my tubes behind the local bike shop. Maybe the owner is on to me, 'cause, as mentioned earlier, everything that I have been finding lately is way too big for the single stack pistols.

psyfly

I just used one last week on a new Kel Tec. Took it off of an old bicycle I've had stored.

I'll try to remember to check the size when I get home.

If memory serves it was one of the old racing (skinny) tires.

Will

wpsdlrg

I do the same thing. Almost can't stand the feel of any of my hand guns without a section of inner tube pulled over it - just the right amount of cushion and stickiness.

I can't say exactly what will work on a Shield, but I use 2.00" diameter tubes for my single stack pistol, a Kahr CM9. I use the same for my J-frame revolver grip.
I would expect that a 1.75" to 2.25" dia. tube (length doesn't matter) would work for your Shield.

AK103K

700C is probably what you want. Youll probably play hell getting them on though, especially if they are any bigger than an inch or two.

I used to use inner tubes, skateboard tape, and the decals up until I stippled my first Glock. Never looked back. Its been the best grip treatment Ive tried/used. All you have to do, is get past doing the first, then watch out! :)

bedbugbilly

Ahhhhh . . . bike inner tubes do wear out or get punctured and have to be replaced. Why are you "dumpster diving"? Seems like it would be a lot easier just to talk to the bike shop owner, explain to him what you're doing and ask if he can save you some different size tubes that you could cut and try. After all . . the reason they are in the dumpster is because they are being thrown away . . . sometimes the "direct approach" is the best. :rolleyes:

Consort

The shop owner is a true capitalist. I tried the direct approach; once he discovered that he had something I wanted/needed, there was a price tag attached.....even if it was ALREADY in the trash! Only bike shop in a 30 mile radius, too.