Injured 870...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Without getting into details, someone I know owns an 870 and let someone else take it apart to clean it.

Secondhand, I got feedback for several hours that the person was having difficulty getting it back together. That surprised me since manuals can be downloaded at no charge and there are a number of how-to videos online as well.

Apparently this person availed himself of none of those resources. He did manage to reassemble the gun, however the next feedback I got indicated that the gun was no longer functional.

I went and took a look at the owner's request. Here's the obvious damage.

The left shell latch was bent. Pretty impressive since it's a substantial piece of spring steel. I couldn't tell by eyeballing it if the right latch was bent as well.

The action bars were bent/misaligned. I'm guessing that he forced the pump trying to get it back together and that's how he bent the shell latch and the action bars. I was able to straighten the action bars.

I recommended that they replace the left shell latch and see how it functions at that point.

I also recommended that they not let the person in question touch one of their firearms again. I was not surprised to find that the "cleaning" apparently didn't extend to something as difficult and complex as wiping out the receiver which was still full of crud.

Pahoo

Real men, don't ask directions ???

That is too bad, especially when the 870, is one of the easiest shotguns to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Once had an old Marlin pump that I disassembled, cleaned and finally had to take it to a Smith for reassembly. There was no manual to follow on this old boy !! ... ;)

When teaching firearms, during our hunter safety classes, the first things we teach, is safe gun handling, followed by
"Read your Manual" .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

M4BGRINGO

Take a look where the action bars attach to the tube. Look inside the tube and make sure it didn't crack. I had one do that, not from trying to put it back together, happened while using it.

TxGun

You have to be severely challenged mechanically to screw up an 870 like that. Most bright 12 year olds could easily figure it out. Good news: should be easy to fix.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Take a look where the action bars attach to the tube. Look inside the tube and make sure it didn't crack. I had one do that, not from trying to put it back together, happened while using it.
The more I think about it, the more I think that's good advice. If he put enough force on the pump to bend the shell latch and the action bars, it's probably enough to damage the attachment point of the action bars.