Initial Range Report-Ruger SR 556 (the long winded version)

zombie237

O.k., recently I purchased a Ruger SR 556 (I know some people have their opinions and DI is better and I understand and SCAR and FAL and AK, those are all future potential purchases, I’ll get to them later) and I promised to get initial range report for general information. If you hadn’t read my initial purchase posting, my only comparison experience for the Ruger 556 is the Army’s M-16’s and M4’s as well as my Remington 22 “fun rifle” to compare the gas piston’s recoil with a lesser caliber rifle.

First off, I’d taken the Ruger apart a few times before getting out to fire and the general concept is the same as the Army’s rifles less the piston system, which isn’t really that hard to strip down now. The weight with the rail system is a bit heavier but not overbearing for long periods of carry in my opinion. The ammunition I purchased for initial use were the most inexpensive bulk ammo at Wally (Federal .223’s) and some ammunition from my local Academy Sporting Goods (Monarch .223’s). All ammunition totaling 1,000 rounds (400 and 600 respectively) and the shooters being me and my wife, who has never shot anything in her life and we took EVERYTHING (4 handguns, 2 rifles and a shotgun) out this past weekend.

Since we went out in the desert, we were just getting the feel and used to what was out there for targets. Now that my wife has a taste for firing, we’ll get to the rod and gun club next weekend for further range report with targets and multiple ammo brands. At a guesstimated distance of 100 yards, we set up what we’d found near location for targets and we were off. Having all 3 magazines loaded with the Federal ammunition from a standing position and with the gas system setting at “off”, out of the first magazine I had one feed failure. Applying the “SPORTS” method of clearing M4 issues, I continued on and fired 29/30 rounds without issue. Recoil of the rifle a little less than army M4 and my guess is due to the weight and “front heavy” issue of the rail system, the rifle hardly jumped at all.

I went through the next 2 magazines without issues and the last magazine was as fast as I could run a semi-auto, again, without fail. Maintaining the Federal ammo, I changed the piston settings to 1 and 2 and honestly I didn’t really notice that much of a difference with no other feed issues. Enter setting 3. When applied, magazine loaded and initial shot I hardly even noticed, almost like shooting my 22 rifle. It’s a little more than a 22 but not by much and if I took the camera the grin was past both ears. Put it through the same motions as the previous magazines with the last one being as fast as I could pull the trigger, just pure awe is all I can say. The trigger pull personally I feel is a lot smoother than military M16/M4 but those weapons have seen a few users and may not have been kept how I keep my firearms (I mean I tear them down once a week to clean, it’s my zen feeling like some people get from watching Bob Ross while painting).

Now, my wife’s turn. I went through the general mechanics of the AR style rifles and loading, unloading and feed issues. Fixing the stock to completely short for her wingspan, she held it up and asked “like this?” yup, it’ll do and she lit up the 1st 30 round magazine like she was in the bank robbery scene in Heat. She said she blew the entire recoil concept out of proportion and was ready for another magazine. She had the targets bouncing around pretty well actually and she wants to get to the range to hit the paper targets as much as I do to see how tight a shot group she has.

Actually my wife went through more ammo than I did and I think after the initial creaks were worked out, the ammo swam through the rifle. It worked out to 1,000 rounds with 2 feed failures (both Federal ammo and both in the first magazine for me and first for my wife). All in all we had a blast (literally) and my wife shot the 556, my Walther P22/PK380, S&W Sigma 40, S&W M&P 45, Remington 597 22lr and my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Then only one that she was “iffy” on was the 40 due to the size of the grip and trigger pull issue, but I knew that going in when I got it and ironically her favorite?...the 45. (I love my wife) The next chance we get my wife and I will be out at the range on paper this time with camera.

As far as disassembly is concerned, we got home and we sat there and went through how to take each weapon apart and clean it. The 556’s takeout pins are still a little stiff but getting better, the entire rifle was basically spotless (of which I just need to post the picture to show off here and I’ll get to that ASAP) and we ran a cloth over it and got it reassembled.

Also, after 1,000 rounds, I went over the “trouble” spots initially reported on the 556 and it’s carrier tilt issues. ZERO marks on my lower receiver or anywhere else for that matter after 1,000 rounds (I have pictures of that as well that we’ll get posted here ASAP) and I intend on keeping my dated pictures for longevity and wear and tear comparison. All in all I am COMPLETELY satisfied with this purchase, but then again, I got it for $1,000 so I’m ecstatic. My wife had a blast and is completely confident in her home defense capabilities now as compared to before. She asked when she could do her concealed carry class, we have to find out when the next one is and she’s off. Wonder if she’ll stick with a 45 for carry (purses make it easier to carry huge freakin guns for women) but that decision is up to her.

Hope this wasn’t too lengthy and a little helpful at least, I know pictures are better, I’ll get the ones I have up ASAP and death to paper targets really soon. I know the rifle has its critics but I am perfectly happy with my selection.:D:D:D

Balog

Good report, thank you. Can you post a pic of the piston rod itself, possibly? I've heard some interesting things about them and I'd like to see for myself. Also, depending on how your wife dresses there may be non-purse carry options. Off body carry is sometimes all that's available, but it still gives me the willies.