Inherited a Mossberg 835 "Ulti Mag" and Remington 870 Express Magnum

Don Lu

I dont know anything about shotguns but I did inherit these two so now im very interested in learing about them. First they are both 28" barrels so, Im thinking for HD I need to swap the barrel and get an 18" for one of them (remington b/c I couldnt find anything on line for 18" 835 barrels)..Im just wanting some info on these guns. Also since I dont know much about shotguns and dont even know what questions to ask..is there a website w/the abc's of pump shotguns ??? thanks for any and all info.

Doyle

There is a guy on one of the forums (either this one or the Florida Shooters Network) that turned an 835 into a tactical. He was able to find a short (I think 20") barrel for it from some vendor and he changed out the buttstock to a tactical type. Looked quite decent. If you do decide to do this, let me know. I may be interested in your 28" barrel. I've got an 835 with a 24" turkey barrel and I could use a longer barrel for waterfowl.

Don Lu

Thanks for the info.. Regardless of what I do, Id be keeping the original barrel and all other parts for sentimental reasons. but thanks again for the input.

Yellowfin

Best thing I can tell you about an 835 is to NOT shoot 3 1/2's out of it until you have the stock full of lead split shot and foam. Out of the box it will hurt you badly. I've shot some pretty bad kicking guns but the 835 with magnum turkey loads was by far that was the worst. The Remington points and swings a lot better, so that's what I would use for going after birds.

jdc48160

Yellowfin:

3 inch magnum slugs in my Mossberg 535 were pretty nasty too.

I'm yet to mess with any 3.5 inchers at all. I don't feel the need to get that nuts. I shoot 2.75 inch #4 shot heavy loads for turkey. Very nice pattern, and very accurate at the distances I have to cover for turkey.

Don Lu

Nemsis...I know, I just havent gooten to take any pics yet..guess ill get to it soon.

For anyone, Can I use any 870 barrel or do i have to get something special since the shotgun is a magnum ?

mic214

I converted my 835 Ulti-Mag into an HD shotgun. I was able to pick up an 18.5" barrel on GunBroker for $80.00. I added a factory Mossberg "Tactical Cruiser" forend and finished it off with a mag extension from the "Gun Connection".

While not listed on their website, Mossberg does offer the 18.5" barrel on a special order basis. Here is the email response they sent me:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Part# 90823 Description: 835 18.5 CLY BORE
BEAD SIGHT BLUE, Price$110.00 plus the shipping and handling $10.95. You
can shoot slugs, out of this barrel.
You can order it from us at
1-800-363-3555".

I also got a pistol grip for it, but I found that the slide release was hard to activate with it.....

Here is what she looked like when I started:

DSCN0033_edited.jpg

This is how she looks now:

DSCN0153_edited.jpg

This is the 835 in "Resident Evil/Terminator" mode:

DSCN0150_edited.jpg

Last edited:

Don Lu

Nice pics mic, I think I want my 870 to end up like that, except, Id wand a foldable stock....currently ive got wood stocks and wood fore end...may keep the for end and get pistol grip w/folding stock.

rantingredneck

First, congratulations on the inheritance and condolences on the reason for it.

Now, some info:

Your Mossberg 835 is a very nice shotgun that has an overbored barrel to nearly 10 ga dimensions. You'll notice a warning on the side not to fire slugs through it. DON'T FIRE SLUGS THROUGH IT. They can "wobble" in the barrel as it is over 12 ga bore diameter and get hung up, thereby obstructing the barrel. Fire slug number 2 behind this and Kaboom is the result.

3.5" turkey loads are rather brutal when patterning. When firing at game you'll never feel it. 3.5" buckshot loads are really not bad and I've taken several deer with them. I've never waterfowl hunted so I can't speak to steel shot patterns or performance with them.

Enjoy your 835.........as is............

With your 870, you have entered the world of the most modular and customizable shotgun ever produced. This is both a good and bad thing. Good in that you can make it fit you and your needs from hunting to clay games to HD. Bad in that you can be sucked into the mall-ninja-tacticool world of accessories that do nothing other than reduce effectiveness of a wonderful tool.

There are many folks here certainly more learned than me who will be along shortly to advise. My personal opinion.......18-20" barrel..........Solid wood or quality synthetic stock (speedfeed or similar)...Remington or Choate mag extension........sidesaddle or buttcuff for extra loads........Lots of ammo and range time. The last is most important.

Again, enjoy your inheritance and honor the individual it came from by using it.

Don Lu

great advice redneck....on many levels.. long story, but these guns belonged to my dad who was an avid hunter....I never got to go hunting w/him and regret it to the fullest....these guns have a lot of sentimental value..I've already strongly concidered modifying the remington and leaving the mos as is...

newkahr

835 tips

I really like the 835. You can make it work with a pistol grip like so (Butler Creek folding stock shown)

Attachments

• pistol grip cutout.JPG
    pistol grip cutout.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 269

publius

i have both and they are both great shotguns. i'm really an 870 man but for hunting the mossberg really shoots better b/c of that huge bore. For HD I would choose the 870 b/c the forend rattles a bit on most Mossbergs. I don't want to get into a shootout so I may be trying to hide. get an 18" cylinder bore barrel, maybe a mag extension, beyond that leave the gun alone. fill it with 2 3/4 1buck and you're set.