Information on SW M29-2

Bullrock

I need some information on this SW M29-2. I purchased it on Auction Arms, and I picked it up two days ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The action on this gun feels more like a single action colt than a double action SW.

The hammer pull is very light and easy. The thing I can't figure out is the hammer does at least 3 clicks and maybe four on the way back, just like my Stampede. I don't know anything about Smith Wesson Performance Center or custom triggers.

I have a new SW 629 that is just a normal old hammer pull. Does anyone have any idea what this old man just bought???
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

mec

That is a nice looking 29. I don't know about any clicks- they're not supposed to be there. You may be feeling the bolt drop and then engaging the cylinder notch. Some people lighten the main spring -either by backing out the strain screw in the front of the frame, shortening it or shaving down the spring itself. Might be a good idea to make sure it's screwed in all the way and see if anybody has nibbled off the end that presses against the spring. When they get too light, sometimes there are double action ignition problems.

I have two 29-2s- a 4" and an 8 3/8". People will argue about this but, I believe they will last a lot longer if you stick with loads that are well below factory magnum standard. I top out with 250 grain lead at 1000- 1100 fps and do most of my shooting with loads a good bit lighter than that.

Sarge

You won't get any argument from me, mec. I run mine a little harder than that, but have also had it rebuilt by the factory (last year) and am in no hurry to have it done again. My guess would be that they would last indefinitely with loads like the ones you described.

Nice to see another fan of the old nickel guns here.

Bullrock

This is an S&W mod 29-2 in 44mag. It has the original nickel finish, and 4" barrel. It is pinned and recessed. It is in excellent condition, with no scratching, wear, or other damage. Function and lock-up are like new, bore is excellent. Hammer/trigger are target style.
After reading your replies I went back to the description of the 29-2. Does hammer/trigger target style have anything to do with what I am experiencing. Incidentally I have no complaints. The action is really neat. It's just that I was wondering what all of this means... :rolleyes:

Majic

Target hammer and trigger just meant that they were wider (the spur for the hammer and the shoe for the triger) and the trigger is serrated on it's face. The Combat hammer and trigger were much narrower. I also think you may be hearing or feeling the action working and not any function of the hammer in the clicks.