Information on sighting in 2 AR's need

epic4444

Im new to the world of AR's and have recently finished two builds, both have Mega lowers with RRA LPKs and Magpul stocks. One has a Noveske 14.5 Upper the other a 16 LMT both are carbine's. The LMT has a carry handle while the Noveske has a Troy BUIS,both have adj. front post sights. I need to sight in both and they have only been test fired.

Now im wondering what equipment is needed to sight-in my AR's and what distance i should have them set at, I was thinking 100 yards since i wont be shooting any longer distance using just iron sights. Thanks for any and all input.

BTW i have a decent amount of experience with gun but non with sighting in a rifle, ive watched various videos online and would like to hear what you guys see as the fastest easiest way to sight-in a AR. I'll be shooting at a outdoor range with tables and chairs to use but not much else.

nathaniel

Go to youtube and look at DPMS videos for sighting in your carry handle gun but the other sights I have no idea.

LloydXmas250

Go to youtube and look at DPMS videos for sighting in your carry handle gun but the other sights I have no idea.

Only problem with that is that that will zero the rifle for 300 meters, not 100. You'll need to look up the RIBZ method by Molon. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=328143

That's how you can get your carry handle sight down a 100 meter zero. I had a thread with questions about the RIBZ method so you can take a look and see if it helps you with this. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409940 Quentin2 even provided links for sighting targets that make it easy to sight in.

Quentin2

I agree with Lloyd, the RIBZ will give you an extremely flexible sighting system using a carry handle sight. Your Troy sight isn't as flexible but you still could sight in at a convenient 25 meters (by aiming at the bull'seye but hitting low) for a 100 meter zero if finding a 100 meter range is difficult. If interested, look at the link that I provided in Lloyd's thread, it will show the trajectory of the military 55gr 5.56 bullet.

Of course I'm speaking in meters above but converting to yards is not difficult. And if you have access to a 100 yard range and that's the zero you want then of course zero at 100 (even if you use the RIBZ).

LloydXmas250

Quentin helped a lot. He's very knowledgable and those links are awesome. It kinda seems crazy at first but it really is a good idea to use the RIBZ with the carry handle. Good look with the set-up.

epic4444

ya 100 yards, i dont plan to iron sight shoot past that as i'll be going with a Eotech later on down the road

Quentin2

Well you could zero at 100 yards but you'll be pretty low at 50 and under (maybe 4-7" depending how close in you're shooting). You might look at the links to the IBZ and zero at 50 yards then POI would be within 2.5" of POA from 0 to 250 yards. Pretty flat shooting! From 25-100 it'll be even closer which is great since the Troy doesn't have the quick elevation adjustment of a carry handle.

ETA: Even with a carry handle it might be best to zero at 50 yards to gain the flat shooting IBZ. And you still can click down two more clicks to be dead on at 100 yards using Molon's RIBZ. And of course click back up to 6/3 to be zeroed for 25 and 300 meters. This is soooo much fun! :D

Last edited:

riverwalker76

Use the Battle Zero method. What you hit at 25 yds. will take you to 300 yds. You will need to hold under accordingly from 30 yds to 295 yds.

Google ... Battle Zero and AR15. You will get a whole bunch of hits. You can even print the targets from some of the links.

This is the only way to zero a 5.56 AR with iron sights, IMO

I have done this on three rifles and it works perfectly:

http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

If you absolutely MUST have a 100 yards target zero (which, unless actually target shooting at 100 yards, is of limited use) then you can achieve that by taking the IBZ one step further:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=328143

If you read and understand these excellent articles on zeroing an AR, you will never zero at 300 again.

kraigwy

So if not 100 yards then how far should i sight the AR in for?

250 YARDS

You sight a 223/5.56 round in at 250 yards, you can do head shots out to 300 by aiming at the mouth area. Doing that the bullet drops to the chest area at 400 yards.

You can start this by sighting in at 25 yards, having the round impact at the bottom X (see below Canadian Bull Target) It works on ARs and Bolt guns. This is the method the Army use to teach, AMU taught in their sniper school and the way I set up the 223 Bolt gun I carried as a LE counter/sniper rifle.

Its also covered in the USAMU Counter Sniper Guide.

Like I said, aim at the Bull, adjust the impact of the shot group to hit the bottom X (top X is for the M14/308), then move to 250 yards and confirm your zero.

Canadian%20Bull%20Target.jpg

So if not 100 yards then how far should i sight the AR in for?
Did you LOOK at the information on Improved Battle Zero????? Look at post #12. Everything you need is contained in the links.

Zero at 50 YARDS for a 200 METER crossover, for a flat trajectory that doesn't go higher or lower than 2 inches from point of aim all the way out to 250 YARDS.

Zeroing at 25, as the links explain in detail, does not give this flat trajectory, and results in a crossover at 300 yards, but with the round rising as high as 6 inches above point of aim at 120 yards.

Last edited: