Information on FN Browning Hi-Power, please!

jrklaus

I am curious to know any information one could give about a Hi-Power I acquired as a used firearm several years ago. It is a 9mm with what I would call the standard hammer and sights, has the external extractor, and it does not have the ambidextrous safety. It bears the marking "F.N. Browning" on the port side of the slide. On the starboard side of the slide it bears only two markings--the serial number, 289XXX (located beneath the ejection port), and a T with a star above it (which looks like some form of proof mark I have never been able to identify) located at the bottom rear of the slide. The serial number is repeated on the starboard side of the frame and on the barrel, which also has some form of mark which looks like a "F" lying on its back, head toward the chamber. The only other markings on the pistol are at the heel of the grip and must make reference to a former owner: C. M. G., Sav. Ga.

I have looked on Browning's website, but this pistol falls outside of the serial number ranges listed there.

Any information about the origins and likely date of manufacture would be appreciated.

croyance

Fabrique National owns Browning. Browning's HiPowers are made by FN, not the other way around, so a search of Browning's website should yield nothing.

Hopefully, others will come by with more info.

jrklaus

Thanks! I had also tried FN's corporate website, but couldn't get anything but the "Current News" tabs to work. I'm don't know if the corporation entertains such inquiries as this or not.

Thanks again!

croyance

I don't think the Glock really makes the HiPower obsolete. It is just that the Glock is more widely known by those who really don't know much about guns. Between rap lyrics, movies, LEAs, and that media hysteria when introduced, Glocks are hard not to know about.

jrklaus

Just spoke to Glenn, the historian at Browning (nice folks on the phone, by the way)...it was manufactured in the seventies. Thanks to all!

croyance

Is it one of the 'T' series? I suspected with the number, but wasn't sure.
If it is, that series is believed to be the best made series of this fine pistol.
Stephen A. Camp, who sometimes posts here and at The High Road, uses heavier springs and a Shock-Buf to help perserve the frame when he uses heavier loads.

jrklaus

Croyance, all I know with regard to that is that it does have the small T with a star above it at the rear of the slide on the starboard side. Glenn at Browning said it was probably originally made for the European trade (in the seventies), since there were no St. Louis or Morgan, UT markings on the slide. He noted that he doubted FN Herstal would have any information to add to what he told me. Thanks for the info!